1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one has part of me saying "what the heck?" and another part of me saying "I want that".

http://www.taloinc.com/colt-firearms/some-new-and-unusually-precise

The front strap checkering and some design elements are by Pete Single.

I like the checkering and the top strap treatment. I wonder what the actual finish is on the matte surfaces -- just a matte blue probably?

·
Administrator
74,641 Posts
There have been a few on Gunbroker. Unfortunately when you see pictures of the real thing the slide and rollmarks don't look nearly as crisp or clean. The slide appears over-buffed and the rollmarks look dished out. It's kinda like those thick, juicy burgers you see pictured on the menu at the local burger joint, but when you actually get yours it looks like Fat Freda in the back sat on it.

Reactions: Bill Hook

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
It looks like black ion bond. The slide looks like stainless steel with flats polished alike the Combat Elite Model.

To tell you the truth I do not like TALO offerings nor their finishes nor they configurations or grips.

I do not know what is happening to Colt, they refuse to build a retro 1911A1 or Pre Series 80 Commander and they release limited editions of nonsense pistols with ridiculous finishes and grips.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The description reports allows for carbon steel and polished blue but the photo makes it appear stainless. I wonder who polished and blued it. Colt? I’m oddly digging it, however.

Now that I see one on gb not as much.

·
Registered
7,849 Posts
I do not know what is happening to Colt, they refuse to build a retro 1911A1 or Pre Series 80 Commander and they release limited editions of nonsense pistols with ridiculous finishes and grips.
I like a couple embellished Talo and Lew Horton Colts, but Yes, I agree. Stop the pink and purple Defenders, the green and tan 1991s, and above all .. stop the ridiculous pricing of these unsightly finishes.

·
Registered
934 Posts
That flippin' roll mark!!! What are they thinking???? Put the classic roll mark on the slide and a set of gold or silver colt medallion checkered grips on.

Damn, if it isn't broke and it sells like popcorn don't try to fix it!!!!

Start making more SAA revolvers also!

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,426 Posts
The rollmark is hideous.
The current Classic has the best rollmark Colt's used in fifty years, and Talo puts that abomination on it?

·
Administrator
74,641 Posts
It looks like black ion bond. The slide looks like stainless steel with flats polished alike the Combat Elite Model.

To tell you the truth I do not like TALO offerings nor their finishes nor they configurations or grips.

Every TALO offering I've seen has had gaudy rollmarks, over-polished slides and strange-looking grips. I have yet to see one I'd even be remotely interested in. Colt has been building these weird "limited edition" guns for decades and not concentrating on making bread n' butter guns that will sell in volume. This is also why we sometimes see production guns with weird anomalies, like the O1991s that had an ugly and redundant "GOVERNMENT MODEL" rollmark right on the dust cover. Colt had a surplus of frames from a TALO project and used them up on the production floor, leaving some owners with new O1991s that were made from leftover garbage.

Of course Javichin, you have access to the guys at Colt so maybe you can try and figure out what their mindset is. Not that I expect you to be able to change any minds.

·
Registered
23,235 Posts
I assumed that Talo contracted with Colt for X number of a certain type of pistol that they would then distribute. If there is a good thing about them it is I have seen slightly used examples for quite a bit less than a new one. Years ago I found my "Don't tread on me" example in the used section of a LGS for $740 with box etc when one could still order a new one for about $1.2K

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Every TALO offering I've seen has had gaudy rollmarks, over-polished slides and strange-looking grips. I have yet to see one I'd even be remotely interested in. Colt has been building these weird "limited edition" guns for decades and not concentrating on making bread n' butter guns that will sell in volume. This is also why we sometimes see production guns with weird anomalies, like the O1991s that had an ugly and redundant "GOVERNMENT MODEL" rollmark right on the dust cover. Colt had a surplus of frames from a TALO project and used them up on the production floor, leaving some owners with new O1991s that were made from leftover garbage.

Of course Javichin, you have access to the guys at Colt so maybe you can try and figure out what their mindset is. Not that I expect you to be able to change any minds.
So true about Talo. I have had to close my eyes and pinched my nose and get some because Colt doesn’t offer a similar item in their lineup. The biggest examples were my two Series 80 LwtCdr .38 SPR with the black/grey cerakote look AND the eyesores that were the sane thing but Series 70 with blued slide and ODG frames. At least the Talo CCO I bought back in 2012 only had ugly grips but no weird colors.

I was about to buy the Talo two tones Classic .38 Suoer but thankfully Colt released the sane thing in their lineup without the ghastly grip panels and the ugly two tones look.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
The fact that Colt sells pistols to TALO that are built to TALO's specs seems to me to be a good thing. It means Colt sells pistols which means they stay in business. Blaming Colt for the specs seem, at the least, silly. TALO seems to be able to sell them so it's a win-win.
Also, I have a TALO edition which is simply a Lightweight Commander slide on an Officer frame (CCO) which has no fancy engraving, etc. It's just a "Plain Jane" working gun. In fact, the slide is even marked as a "Commander" without any CCO markings.
I think some members here need to serve some Gouda with all their fine whines. :D

Reactions: SW51

·
Registered
1,900 Posts

A Royal Blue Python, WWII 1911A1, Pre War .38 Super Auto, Pre Series 80 Commander, M16A1 and XM177E2 rifles at affordable prices and of course 1 Gen SAA Cavalry Model ..all of these retro models could sell like hotcakes and have been proposed to Colt and the answer has always being negative.

It is true that they have in mind to expand the revolver line with more powerful calibers and that is good news but I doubt that they well be smart enough to release a Diamondback .22 LR using the actual King Cobra platform. It is a shame that Colt does not have a .22 LR pistol in their catalog.

I know for sure that they are testing a new finish to replace traditional bluing that would be innovative but I know nothing about the promised 9mm DA pistol.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Talo Wiley Clapp series, that later become Colt cataloged items, are exceptional. The other one was Talo CCO that Colt later made some changes and offered under Wiley Clapp series 1911.
You are right, the Wiley Clapp are great guns as well as the CCO mentioned but I could not say the same about the rest of TALO offerings..

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
The WWI models (O1911 and O1918) were great guns that could sell well if turned into regular production items. The defunted Model O1913 could have been a great seller, imagine a pre WWI Commercial Government Model.. another lost opportunity...samething happened with the New Frontier SAA revolver..

·
Registered
912 Posts

Now DSK I do remember you being quite complementary of this Talo run 5 years ago lol 20200901_170801_1599448673002.jpg

·
Administrator
74,641 Posts
In my defense I never said I was interested in buying one. The closest TALO ever came to offering a 1911 I might have bought was the O1970MA, a hybrid between a Series 70 repro and a WW2 M1911A1. And the only reason why that one interested me was because a little parts-swapping and a refinish in brushed blue would've netted a close facsimile of a pre-war Colt M1911A1. Somebody actually did do that with one, with a little help from Brent when he was still running the Custom Shop, and it looked awesome. But in the end I decided it was too much money to put into a replica so I let the idea pass.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts