1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seeing new GM 38 Supers done for TALO popping up. It looks to me like the standard GM with a different set of sights and grips (that I don't care for). Does anyone know if there are other mods made to the standard pistol for this issue?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
From Talo's Facebook:

Summary of features:

O2991GR
O2991, .38 Super Government Model, Blued Finish Carbon Steel
Novak Mega Dot Tritium front and Novak Ghost ring rear sights
Unique Serial Number Range: CGR001 to CGR300
Altamont Grips: Fancy Colt logo laminate grips
One of 300
Suggested Retail $1239
shipping now

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That's what I was thinking. The grip pics I've seen look like one of the usual G10 varieties. Probably a nice set of sights. Wish they'd done a little more with the pistol as they have with some others. Strikes me as a steep premium for a set of sights.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
That's what I was thinking. The grip pics I've seen look like one of the ususl G10 varieties. Probably a nice set of sights. Wish they'd done a little more with the pistol as they have with some others. Strikes me as a steep premium for a set of sights.
Agreed. I had thought the same thing.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
I would love if they made it two tone and set up just like the lwt 38 super Commander they did last year. Then make a two tone defender in 38 super just like it so you can have one of each size but set up the same and looking the same.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Might be interesting if it was Clappified.

I think ejr has a goood idea too. Bottom line is that it could have been made more interesting. I think that a more dressed up version would sell well. The Commanders that ejr mentioned have sold well. I'm glad I bought one shortly after they came out. They're an excellent pistol.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I agree they could have made it more interesting... it would probably cost what about 200.00 to have Novak add the sights and the pistol base price is 951.00... (not sure how "MegaDot" and "GhostRing" effect pricing)

Seems to be similar to the Colt Combat Government (note CG in serial number?)...

Overall I love Super but am not feeling a compelling need for this... More 9mm's please...

·
Registered
941 Posts
There will be some for whom this appeals because it is all black.

Aside from that, however, I think it is an incorrect pairing of parts. When I hear .38 Super, I think accuracy over longer distances due to flatter trajectory, yet it is paired here with sights suitable for close combat where one is "close enough". When a model with similar "ghost ring" sights came out a couple of years ago, many complained the sights made precision long range work difficult, most often expressed with the complaint "I can't hit crap with these".

·
Registered
259 Posts
Is it Black Oxide or IonBond? Ionbond would be a big plus.
Neither black oxide or Ionbond.

Description says blued carbon steel.

O2991GR
O2991, .38 Super Government Model, Blued Finish Carbon Steel
Novak Mega Dot Tritium front and Novak Ghost ring rear sights
Unique Serial Number Range: CGR001 to CGR300
Altamont Grips: Fancy Colt logo laminate grips
One of 300
Suggested Retail $1239
shipping now
Have to say I'm a big fan of the new Colt bluing. It's much darker, deeper. Looks like black oxide but it's still the same polished finish on the flats.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I saw these and said, "What the hell. Might as well get one of those too."

I expect it will be an excellent pistol for you. My two have run 100% and with very good accuracy.

OhShot!, I favor the blued finish on these. I have one blue and one wearing Armory Kote [sic?] and I prefer the blue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the Talo 02991 38 super. Love the pistol. Front sight is great, rear sight is the pits so I replaced it. Poor accuracy past typical gunfight distance since there is no accurate way to align with the "ghost" rear. The Colt magazines suck. Colt put 9mm springs in the mags and they will lock the slide on the 9th round since the spring lets the follower move. Have a LWT Commander that does the same thing. Putting in 45 ACP springs fixes this. Or Chip McCormick mags or his spring follower kits. Pits that they put these short (for and aft) springs in the mags. Don't know why, 45 ACP springs fit perfect and block the follower from moving forward.
With AA #7 can make 1400 fps with 124 gr Gold Dots from the 5" and 1375 from the 4 1/4". Max loads from the AA web site. 125 gr Hornadys are a little faster in the Commander. Did not Chrono the 5" with them.
Other than the mag hiccup they both seem to feed anything I have tried so far once a few rounds are run through them.
Dan

1 - 18 of 18 Posts