1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here looking for a little advice. Currently have a Vbob and Guardian with the older style non blended thumb safety. I'd like to replace them with the newer dehorned one. Don't think I want to smooth them out myself and send for refinishing...so whats my best option? Will DW switch them out ? thanks for any help.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Dan wesson will switch them out but the shipping is going to cost you a fair bit. the other option is to just buy the safety from dan wesson, and have a competent local smith fit the pad to your gun's sear. Or learn how to do it yourself, it's not really that hard if you have mechanical inclination. It's a good skill to have I might add, if you're serious about the 1911. You will probably have to learn how to fit small parts at some point ;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. First option sounds good, I have average skills but wouldn't be comfortable if there was much fitting to be done. Next question, I haven't seen any "parts for sale" sites from DW. How would I go about getting the parts from DW? Anybody have any experience? Again, thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Thanks for the reply. First option sounds good, I have average skills but wouldn't be comfortable if there was much fitting to be done. Next question, I haven't seen any "parts for sale" sites from DW. How would I go about getting the parts from DW? Anybody have any experience? Again, thanks for your help.
You will have to register on their site to be able to buy from them but that only takes a minute. I used my same login info as I do for this site so it would be easy to remember.

http://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail/DW00037C_1911-Single-Side-Thumb-Safety-Blued-Carbon-Steel

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Probably a non dehorned one. But dehorning is sooooo simple a caveman could do it.

I have 3 DW's though and never found any of them to be horned. But then again I had no issue using a checker file without gloves or finger tip protection.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the good information guys. Guess I'll contact DW and see if they can supply me a duty treat blended safety. Maybe save 2 or 3 steps that way.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
The "easy button" in this case is since you intend to replace the one you have, wiggle it out experiment with it/dehorn it to your liking. Then make the edges black with a blue pen, or any other manner of blackening methods. Wiggle it back in and good to go. I'd bet you'd be happy with your work and skip ordering and fitting a new one. You could also send your handiwork into DW for nitride.

If you go the route of ordering a new TS to be fitted, Glenn will probably want the receiver for fitting.

Here is crappy a video from the internet but it does show how easy it is to remove and reinstall a TS that is already fitted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEfz2RnABvk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts