1911Forum banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
To say that Tisas is a tribute to JMB is an insult. The Tisas in stainless looks nice...aaaaand that's about it.

BHSpringSolutions.com - Hi-Power, 1911, CZ75 and Makarov Springs, Grips and Tools

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I've been admiring those myself, & favor the way you've set them up.
Just can't afford yet.
I finally gave upon ever being able to afford ANY of the H&K MP5 Clones, & after doing my home work - & evaluating the necessity of Roller Lock vs Blowback - I bought a NEW generation 2 STRIBOG, which is a knock off of the Swiss B&T APC-5 (the US army just ordered) The 9mm Slovakian Stribog
is about 1/4 of the price, & is Very well made, & IMO the ideal home defender. I like it !

Attachments

·
Registered
970 Posts
>>>...To say that Tisas is a tribute to JMB is an insult...<<<

Is there some fundamentals difference(s) in the TISA '..clone..' (other than than the type of steel used in some of their 'clones') that alters the basic BROWNING/Saive design that was in production and use for 82 years ?? That this design is STILL as relevant and practical all of these decades after its creation is a glowing tribute to the men who created it. Are FM, FEG, Kareem 'clones' (or all of the other Hi-Power 'platform' pistols modeled on it) "..an insult.." to the genius and cleverness of the men who conceived and created it ??

It's often been said that "..Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.."

·
Registered
569 Posts
>>>...To say that Tisas is a tribute to JMB is an insult...<<<

Is there some fundamentals difference(s) in the TISA '..clone..' (other than than the type of steel used in some of their 'clones') that alters the basic BROWNING/Saive design that was in production and use for 82 years ?? That this design is STILL as relevant and practical all of these decades after its creation is a glowing tribute to the men who created it. Are FM, FEG, Kareem 'clones' (or all of the other Hi-Power 'platform' pistols modeled on it) "..an insult.." to the genius and cleverness of the men who conceived and created it ??

It's often been said that "..Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.."
Haven't heard about FM, FEG, Arcus, Inglis or any other clone to break extractors and retaining plates, develope cracks in under 1000 rounds, have off center barrels... From what I know, yes there are differences between Tisas and Hi-Power. If they can be called fundamental ,depends on your personal point of view, for me they can be called "considerable".

·
Registered
174 Posts
"we never needed to create FN, FEG or Arcus "Reliability Package" because of a design issue and we never needed to chase FTEs in those guns, just like FN, FEG".

I think I'll wait on my BR9 to break before I fix it. In the meantime, it is much nicer all around than my T was when I acquired it fifty years ago. (I do love that T though, it was and is still nice).

·
Registered
673 Posts
I think I'll wait on my BR9 to break before I fix it.
JimCunn...

I think I got a good one, too. The extractor broke after I had already installed an SFS Kit, C&S Wide Combat Trigger and a Free Recoil Spring (courtesy of BHSS), but those were things I would do to almost ANY High Power I acquire. It now features its own buffered guide rod and shares a BHSS barrel. The barrel gets swapped around until I can afford four more.

It shoots great and it sure is pretty!

·
Registered
603 Posts
My vote would be a Browning every time, used an FEG for a while, not at the same level as my own (or issued) HPs.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Indeed pretty. There are very slight differences in frame shape between the T-series and the BR9. If I ever refinish the BR9 (blue instead of Cerakote), I will probably take that opportunity to make the frame edge detailing more closely match the T. The only visible difference that can't be easily modified to match is the vertical width of the frame taper above the grips immediately below the slide serrations (that taper is wider in the BR9 than it is in the T). All esthetic stuff rather than functional.

I do wish the frame/slide fit on the T weren't so sloppy, but it's been that way for the fifty years that I've owned it, so I guess I can live with it 🙂

The T rattles when you shake it; the BR9 doesn't.

·
Premium Member
11,598 Posts
… I will probably take that opportunity to make the frame edge detailing more closely match the T. The only visible difference that can't be easily modified to match is the vertical width of the frame taper above the grips immediately below the slide serrations (that taper is wider in the BR9 than it is in the T).
Got pics to compare? I've never had access to a TISAS.

… I do wish the frame/slide fit on the T weren't so sloppy, but it's been that way for the fifty years that I've owned it...

The T rattles when you shake it; the BR9 doesn't.
The Hi Power responds well to the same frame/slide tightening techniques that we use on the 1911.

·
Registered
174 Posts
"The Hi Power responds well to the same frame/slide tightening techniques that we use on the 1911".

I know, but I've never gotten around to doing it.

I'll take a couple of photos to show the difference in the frame taper above the grips.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
I purchased my Tisas BR9SS, knowing that I would need to replace a boat load of parts. Why? Because I wanted a stainless HP. The only parts remaining as came from Tisas are the frame and slide. Everything else has been replaced.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
If ya want a nice shooter copy right out of the box, there's nothing wrong with the Tissa. However, if you want a true FN Hi Power shooter, and nice future project to boot, you definitely want one of the Israeli (IDF) surplus MKIIIs; really nice examples being imported by AIM. $400 -$500 range. :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
"Got pics to compare? I've never had access to a TISAS".

BBBBill,
BR9 is on top.
1969 T-series Hi Power on bottom.
The different frame taper is between the grip and the slide, behind the extended slide stop and in front of the safety. BR9 taper is wider top to bottom.

Note also, the difference in frame shape aft of the trigger guard in the vicinity of the mag release button. And the BR9 has 19 slide serrations while the T has 22.

I have a sentimental attachment to the T that has increased during the fifty years I've owned it, so I don't carry it for defence. No attachment to the BR9 (even though it has a better build quality - so no need to replace parts - except for extended slide stop - I have small hands), so it is intended for carry.

As an aside, I swapped a $57 S&W Chief's Special even for the T and a box of 9mm ammo. I still think that was a good deal 🙂

Attachments

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
"Got pics to compare? I've never had access to a TISAS".

BBBBill,
BR9 is on top.
1969 T-series Hi Power on bottom.
The different frame taper is between the grip and the slide, behind the extended slide stop and in front of the safety. BR9 taper is wider top to bottom.

Note also, the difference in frame shape aft of the trigger guard in the vicinity of the mag release button. And the BR9 has 19 slide serrations while the T has 22.

I have a sentimental attachment to the T that has increased during the fifty years I've owned it, so I don't carry it for defence. No attachment to the BR9 (even though it has a better build quality - so no need to replace parts - except for extended slide stop - I have small hands), so it is intended for carry.

As an aside, I swapped a $57 S&W Chief's Special even for the T and a box of 9mm ammo. I still think that was a good deal 🙂
I agree re; the FN "T" series HP. I've owned this 1967 example for many years.:rock:

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Systema 1927, You obviously have invested a pile of moola in your project, wouldn’t one of the hard chrome finishes worked as well and a lot cheaper? This pistol was done in Metaloy many years ago.
If I was concerned about expense I would stick with a Glock G19 and call it a day. :)

I have an FN, and FEG as well as the Tisas. Part of the "charm" of the Tisas was the experience of doing it my way. Maybe Momma's boy is really a fool, but I am having fun doing it.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Sistema, Expense was not my point (a Glock ugh &#55357;&#56873;) Mainly I was trying to introduce my Metaloy finished Hi Power so others would know there is an alternative to Stainless that gives the appearance and a lot of the rust resistance of that material at a relatively low cost. I do not critique the Tisas as I have not owned or even fired one. Hi

41 - 60 of 83 Posts