1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here. Shopping for a 1911/1991. I tried out a Colt 1991A1, and liked it a lot. I am thinking of getting a series 80 cuz it's the only legal one in CA. Anywheres I should look for a stainless government? Would this be a pretty good start for a rookie 1991 shooter? It felt good in my hand, and I shot it well.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
A good choice, if it shoots good and feels good then you are really on the right track. The series 80 is a perfect start for a rookie and it wont take long to lose that rookie designation.

I have said for many years that you should shoot, use and carry the gun that you are the most proficient with. The hits are what count, close misses are still misses.

------------------
No man is above the law and no man is below it. Nor do we ask any mans permission when we require him to obey it.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Personal opinion is to go for the matte blue. Easy to refinish, steel is good for a gunsmith to work with and apparently holds fitting longer. Maybe someone more qualified can comment on stainless vs blue steel.

To be honest, my reason is that I just like the looks soooo much better!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called a gun store about 1991's. He said Colt is out of business, and that whatever I find out there that is Colt, is just the remnants of what was Colt. He said there are much better makers, and named Springfield, Kimber, etc. What do you make of this? Is he right, Colt doesn't exist anymore? I wasn't aware.

·
Registered
332 Posts
he is a whacko. colt IS still very alive and kicking. he's just trying to sell you a more expensive gun. go somewhere else....before he tries to sell you a glock (no offense)

------------------
Nothing like to smell of Breakfree to make my day complete.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I just bought a stainless 1991, used, and it has a fit and finish far better than my loaded Springer. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend you go that route.

As to shopping for the baby, I was very happy with the prices and such that I found on the gunsamerica website. Great selection, great prices. Some are downright steals and you don't have to worry about a lemon because they have a 3-day return policy. Don't like it, wasn't as advertised, return to sender for full refund. Can't lose there.

Heck, mine has a ton of custom work on it and they were only asking $500!!! Didn't hesitate a bit to make that phone call.

Springfield does make a decent gun, but don't fall for that "loaded" label. You're getting a whole lot of stuff that you might not like and would be better served by getting a basic mil-spec type pistol (Springfield Armory, Colt 1991, or Argentine Sistema) and then adding on those things you find you want/need after shooting it a good bit.

Any other questions, fire away.

------------------
When reason fails...

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Originally posted by BKC45ACP:
I called a gun store about 1991's. He said Colt is out of business, and that whatever I find out there that is Colt, is just the remnants of what was Colt. He said there are much better makers, and named Springfield, Kimber, etc. What do you make of this? Is he right, Colt doesn't exist anymore? I wasn't aware.
So, all these 1991's with teh new rollmark that has never been seen on them before are parts lying around...
:)
As I've mentioned before, Colt puts a sticker on the side of their box, on the label. It tells you the date that Colt completed the gun. It's a simple way to tell how old it is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got a new M1991A1 SS a few weeks ago. I love it. It felt very ergonomic compared to the Glock. The Glock was my second option but I did not like how wide it was or how the trigger felt. I also wanted an external safety because my wife has never handled a firearm. I agree, if it shoots good and feels good then get it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts