1911Forum banner
41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I would probably choose the Springfield Loaded of those 3 manufacturers/models. The Loaded models are built to military specification and the internals as far as I know the internals are not metal injection molded. So if cared for that gun should last for a long while. For the most part I think the Kimber should as well, but I might opt for a different model like the TLE. I just have misgivings about pairing a stainless receiver and carbon steel slide, dissimilar metals can do weird things over time. And that isn't to say Rock Islands are bad, they do have forged 4140 steel frames and slides, but the last I checked they were still using MIM for their internals so those aren't quite as robust as offerings from the other 2.

It's a good time to get into 1911s I think. I can't think of a manufacturer that's putting out a bad gun that won't last, some just might require a little more care than others.
So kimbers are highly avaliable where I'm at because I live an hour drive from their home base. I really haven't seen any dan wessons near me at all and only a few springfeilds. I liked the kimber for their accessibility to me but have heard so much on their issues of reliability and build and good things from others. It's hard to tell what is common and what's a freak accident or user error.
As far as I know they are all the same other than Dan wesson who's quality is amazing from what I've heard.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
This question is brought up very often and the same answers always come up. Each and every brand has it's fans and it's detractors. Bottom line is every manufacturer suggested produce quality pistols and every manufacturer will produce a lemon that makes it out of the factory. The operative phrase I took away from your original post was cared for. I'm a big believer in following the manufacturers instructions for care and maintenance. I personally have seen many reliable firearms turned into a pile of parts by BuBu doing modifications or just failing to maintain one. Identify the features and finish you like and then buy the one which spins your propeller and then enjoy.
Ok with that then, what should I look at when I look at and hold my 1911 in store that may identify it as a lemon?

·
Registered
87 Posts
So kimbers are highly avaliable where I'm at because I live an hour drive from their home base. I really haven't seen any dan wessons near me at all and only a few springfeilds. I liked the kimber for their accessibility to me but have heard so much on their issues of reliability and build and good things from others. It's hard to tell what is common and what's a freak accident or user error.
As far as I know they are all the same other than Dan wesson who's quality is amazing from what I've heard.
I honestly think Kimber has fallen as far as quality goes... Springfield over Kimber.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: dmthomp32

·
Registered
991 Posts
Given the OP's price range and what he/she is looking for in a 1911, there are a few good options as I see it.
If you're looking for something that will retain its value over time, obviously get the Colt.
But, if you're looking for a gun with good dimensions that could make for a good base gun down the road if you eventually decide to go that route, then Colt might be the best choice.
Or, if you're looking for a 1911 that's inherently accurate and reliable right out of the box, you might want to go with the Colt.
If you're one of those "made in USA" only people, Colt would be a good choice.
You could also get a Colt, if you want to go that route. Alternatively, Colt makes a very good 1911 as well.

Get my drift?😉

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I'm looking for a 1911 that's affordable but will last a lifetime if I take care of it. I've looked at kimber custom 2, springfeild loaded selections and rock island armory. I've seen so much mixed reviews on all the brands and I want the, "pass it onto my children," kind of last. Anyone have good experience on wich brands are truly built to last and be reliable.

Edit. Sorry it's a tad long
So thanks to yall I've decided on a few and have additional questions and specifications I'll add here and in another discussion.
So I would like the 1911 to evolve with me, I could care less for physical style as much as functionality. Stainless looks really beutiful but is the same as a mat finish to me, unless there's something I don't know about advantages of one o the other (which there likely is). Im looking to buy a farm in Montana when im older and need something thats equally good at protecting me from a drugged up person to giving me a better chance against a bear, mood, elk... (insert dangerous pissed off game here) if my primary fails. I'm only 125lbs so conceal carrying anything is difficult. With winter coming its a lot easier with my thicker jackets but summers won't work. Biggest deciding factor is something that I can invest my time into them.
The ones I've looked at are the
Springfeild mils-pec but it's lack of changeable/ upgradable sights concern me but if a gunsmith can or will mill out sight slots for me then it's not a worry. The milspec is as base as it gets and can be customized one peice at a time.
Springfeild loaded. This one has some custom features I am already looking for and I could continue to upgrade it with minimal effort.
Kimber custom stainless 2 or custome two tone. These are basically the same in my mind. Less features than the loaded allowing me to select more of my own features later but still easy to customize compared to the milspec. Also they are very avaliable for me because kimber home base is a county away from me. My only concern is the two tone I heard some saying the difrent types of metals between the frame and slide may cause problems later down the line.
I've been able to go to to a gunstire and hold all the kimbers but haven't touched a springfeild yet, (stoll looking for it) have concerns on all of their longevity and durability because I have little experience with either of them.
I thought about the Dan Wesson anything that already has good custom features and they are awesome but lack as much room to grow with me. So if the kimbers and springfeilds will hold up physically with good maintenance and care then they are preferred this time. Next 1911 though will be a dan wesson.
Now I juat need to decide between those 4.
Ummm….you are about to get a new dreaded disease…the can’thavejustone disease. The 1911 is a great platform and you will likely have lots of fun shooting full sized metal (my shot at plastic guns!) guns…

my Loaded has been spectacular to have. Near 9k through it and only one FTF which is nothing. That thing is a tack driver and has a beautiful trigger for a production gun. SA is lifetime warranty if that means anything to you. 9mm or .45 version should be great for many years. Run it wet and shoot it often…
Life time means a lot to me. But does that warnaty extend to anyone I pass it to. My family is very big on heritage. My dad has my great grandpa's old six shooter that was his first gun that was given to him. And I want to pass my first gun to my kids. Would the warranty extend to my kids life as well or would it end with mine?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Given the OP's price range and what he/she is looking for in a 1911, there are a few good options as I see it.
If you're looking for something that will retain its value over time, obviously get the Colt.
But, if you're looking for a gun with good dimensions that could make for a good base gun down the road if you eventually decide to go that route, then Colt might be the best choice.
Or, if you're looking for a 1911 that's inherently accurate and reliable right out of the box, you might want to go with the Colt.
If you're one of those "made in USA" only people, Colt would be a good choice.
You could also get a Colt, if you want to go that route. Alternatively, Colt makes a very good 1911 as well.

Get my drift?😉
Got it. Loud and clear. What's the room for upgrades though I looked at it and it's only 200 away from the cheapest dan wesson. If it already has a larger amount of upgrades then it's going in the opposite direction I'd like. If not 1300 for a basic 1911. I updated my question since you answered but my main want is a 1911 that will grow with me. From barebones beginner to pistols to whatever I'll be by the end of this journey. I'll look deeper into the colt though, thank you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
So far nothing seems to have happened since the CZ takeover. New Colts still look the same. I agree with those who say for a "hand me down" 1911 in the $1000 range a Colt is best. We can argue all day long over who makes a better 1911, but Colts hold their value better than any other brand regardless of whether it's justified or not.
I updated my question since you replied. I needed to clarify more. I'm less concerned about value and more looking for something that will grow with me and be upgradeable and will still be powerfully functional for my great grand children if uts taken care of. (Not a closet box gun and taken care of, but a nearly daily carry constantly shot but well taken care of.)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Ummm….you are about to get a new dreaded disease…the can’thavejustone disease. The 1911 is a great platform and you will likely have lots of fun shooting full sized metal (my shot at plastic guns!) guns…

my Loaded has been spectacular to have. Near 9k through it and only one FTF which is nothing. That thing is a tack driver and has a beautiful trigger for a production gun. SA is lifetime warranty if that means anything to you. 9mm or .45 version should be great for many years. Run it wet and shoot it often…
I'm already feeling that. But I'll get here
Want a 1911 that'll grow with me, a revolver, maybe 1 polymer because im only 130lbs on a good day so concealment would be easier with that, a shotgun, hunting rifle and maybe a ar for fun. Then I'll start expanding further on 1911s. I got to shoot my platoon sergeants 1911 and loved it. Only got to throw a single clip down range and decided I will buy one that I'll make for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I honestly think Kimber has fallen as far as quality goes... Springfield over Kimber.

I'm lookig to build my knowledge, how have they fallen in quality? What's a issue you've seen them have that springfeild lacks?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Life time means a lot to me. But does that warnaty extend to anyone I pass it to. My family is very big on heritage. My dad has my great grandpa's old six shooter that was his first gun that was given to him. And I want to pass my first gun to my kids. Would the warranty extend to my kids life as well or would it end with mine?
Rock Islands warranty extends to whoever owns the gun regardless of who bought it new. Change the grips and mag and you have the equal to many guns that cost twice as much. The finish just isn't as pretty.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm lookig to build my knowledge, how have they fallen in quality? What's a issue you've seen them have that springfeild lacks?
Honestly, I've handled Springfields with more options than Kimbers... Just depends on what you want for your base gun. To echo the rest of the guys, most builders of note, prefer you give them a colt or Springfield to start... Some even just prefer a colt. I worked at a range and gun store throughout college, I have seen problems with Kimbers ranging from development (new gun models) not functioning at all to the point where we avoided selling them as sales people to the problems on their 1911s which had terrible fitment. I've seen bad triggers with grit... Pick your poison.

Edited bc I didn't answer the question fully.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Buy your first with the options you may upgrade later. Will be much cheaper than adding a piece at a time later. As far as growing with you, you will grow more with ammo down range than adding new features later on. Start with what you think you would end up with and shoot and train more instead of spending monies on upgrades.

·
Registered
12,713 Posts
Would the warranty extend to my kids life as well or would it end with mine?
I'd put no weight on such a warranty situation. Companies come and go. By the time your kids inherit your gun, the manufacturer who produced your 1911 may have long gone out of business.

Look at the list of manufacturers in our 1911 Manufacturers sub-forum. Most of those companies have been started in my lifetime. Outside of Colt, S&W, and Ruger, most of those companies aren't even 50 years old.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I would get myself a Colt as a Sunday driver and a SDS US Army 1911 as my weekly banger.
I'd love to, but I can't find one. I live in oregon an hour from kinber home base. All I can find is kinbers and a few springfeilds. But I'll look into ordering one. Colts seem nice but they don't seem to have the features for the price

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
If you'll allow, I'll chip in one comment...it may or may not matter to you, as it's a matter of personal preference.

To the point, the 1911 is traditionally an all steel gun. But Kimber decided to dispense with the steel mainspring housing and replace it with a much cheaper-to-manufacture plastic mainspring housing.

I'll acknowledge that some folks like the plastic Kimber unit. So it's the buyer's preference that matters. I'm not here to engage in a debate as to the quality of the plastic MSH; instead, I'm merely letting you know that it is plastic, not steel.

I'm merely pointing out something that the Kimber sales people probably won't tell you. But I think you have a right to know.

Personally, I don't like unannounced/stealth (whatever word one chooses) cheaper "substitutions" for what I expect to find in any product, firearms or other. It just doesn't sit well with me.

·
Registered
12,713 Posts
To the point, the 1911 is traditionally an all steel gun. But Kimber decided to dispense with the steel mainspring housing and replace it with a much cheaper to manufacturer plastic mainspring housing.
A valid point, but in fairness, Colt did too. It is a low wear part and is easily replaced.

While I'm not bothered much by the Kimber II Swartz type firing pin safety, that bothers me more than a polymer mainspring housing. Heck, most folks wouldn't know their mainspring housing was a polymer part unless you told them.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
^^^I'm always fan of full and fair "disclosure", no surprises. Your post helps to provide a well balanced perspective. +1911.

Reactions: jtq
41 - 60 of 85 Posts