1911Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my grandfather just gave me his WWII issued 1911, that he has kept under lock and key all these years.

He was an officer on the USS Hollandia for a number of years in the South Pacific and according to him his firearm was issued to him when he first was assigned to the ship. He coudln't tell me much on the weapon, being he is 95 years old and has forgotten quite alot.

Now my question is, where can I find out more info on the gun, the year it was made, and so forth? Of course, I would not sell the gun for sentamental reasons, but also what a gun like this would be worth.

It is in 100% mint working order, all original with "Property of Unisted States of America" ingraved on the side an all.

Can anyone help me? Thank you.

·
Administrator
79,293 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

First, it'll help to get answers to your questions if you post them in the proper forum. You are inquiring about a USGI pistol, so I moved it here where all the experts hang out. To give you more info on the pistol we'd need to see pictures of it preferably, but if not at least give us the S/N and other markings. If you don't want to reveal the complete serial number just X out the last three digits, such as 300XXX.

USGI 1911 pistols very considerably in value. Rare ones such as the ones made by Singer are worth upwards of $40,000. A common example like a Remington Rand is worth about $1500 if completely original. A refinish, mismatched parts, and wear/corrosion will all degrade value.

While you're at it, check out this website: http://www.coolgunsite.com. It has a lot of info on USGI pistols.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.