1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings.
New here, not new to 1911's.
Just brought home a MKlV series 80. First Colt I have owned since high school.
Kinda suprised when a couple of parts fell out while stripping the thing. Wasn't expecting that. Should have read up on them first but I think I can figure out how to get it back together.
Stainless with Houge pebble grain grips and decent sights. Beaver tail, which I have to have, large hands, and a commander style hammer.

Previous owner apparently did not care what it
looked like, scrathes every where and an out right gouge from installing the slide stop. Also the filthiest 1911 I have ever seen.

Question: what is the best way to touch it up?? Scotch Bright? Sand paper?
I won't be firing it until the parts get a good soak so I might as well try to get the scratches out.

Any suggestions will be welcome.
Thanks

·
Registered
520 Posts
Here is a link with detailed instructions for re-assembly with the Series 80 parts. http://www.kerensky.net/pics/series2/

If it were me, I would have the finish restored by having the pistol bead blasted after the deeper surface defects were removed, but I have heard that Scotch Brite pads are good for removing small scratches, although I have also heard that the texture (gloss) on the repaired sections might be different from the rest of the pistol.

·
Administrator
73,375 Posts
I second the notion to just have a gunsmith run it through the blasting cabinet. You'll be rewarded with a new-looking gun with an easily maintained finish, less prone to showing grime and fingerprints.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
blast

After taking it down I had decided to do just that. Too many scratches and besides I like the look of a bead blast finish.

On the firing pin stop the number 1 is stamped. Any significance to that?
The frame side of the thumb safety has the number 2 stamped on it. Same question.

and thanks for the link.

·
Registered
196 Posts
For many years, I have used a product called Simichrome to polish stainless steel, as well as gold and brass. It is a paste, it is very effective, and is sold in either tubes or small tubs, and available in many motorcycle stores or shops.

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
These are tools. Make sure it functions, etc. before addressing the cosmetics. Once you're happy with functionality you can address how it looks. She may be pretty, but can she cook? :)

-- Chuck

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
On the stamped numbers on the firing pin stop. My maybe faulty recollection is it has to do with sizes when fitting in the factory. It's been brought up on the forum before and useing the search function may turn it up.

tipoc

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
assembly

Thanks for the help. The Kimber link worked fine. After installing the series 80 parts my first thought was it looked very much like the way S&W does it.
Said it had a beavertail, wrong. It has the duckbill and along with a bead blast it will have a beavertail, steel mainspring housing, metal trigger, and barstock extractor. Seen a few problems with MIM parts.

Put a few rounds through it and the function is flawless.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts