1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a P-16 that I have started to change out the plastic parts etc. I want to turn it into a fine limited gun. I got a new trigger for it and after installing the new mag release and Warren fiber optic sight I removed the mainspring housing to see if I could remember how to take a 1911 apart. Well long story short, I figured out I cant do it without a book or vidieo. When I replaced the mainspring housing I did something stupid and forced it a little. When I repeated the process it when back easily but now the hammer wont catch and stay cocked. If you could ,with this description, tell me what I most likely messed up. It is going to the gunsmith tomarrow, but I want to see where I messed up. thanks

·
Banned
410 Posts
Welcome rhenson1.

Thank you for asking this, as if you had not I may have been lurking here for another 2 years before finding the how to subforum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well its a little to late to ask how to do it. I was really wanting to see what parts I may have damaged iin the process of my flub up.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
rhenson:

Running way behind....

You could have trashed the sear spring or re-installed it improperly.

The hammer strut can sometimes stick on the outer rim of the cup in the MSH. That can muck things up a little.

It's hard to really kill a sear spring. But....

Regards,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks SMAA. I did figure it out. The trigger return part of the spring slid into the magazine opening. After about 10 times putting it back together I figured it out.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Thanks SMAA. I did figure it out. The trigger return part of the spring slid into the magazine opening. After about 10 times putting it back together I figured it out.
Ouch....

Glad you found it.

We all have to start someplace - the only stupid question is the one you don't ask....

I've been a shooter for more than 40 years, but didn't get into 1911's until about 1999, when I inherited a 70's Combat Commander. I didn't even shoot it for another couple years. What I didn't know was that the previous owner had worked it over, and there were some serious deficiencies in the frame, too. I learned a LOT keeping that thing going, and managed to blow it up twice, too.

(It's frame is now supporting a Kimber .22LR Conversion Kit. No longer safe with .45 loads.... The slide is only a little screwed up. Someday....)

After that, I bought several more.... Three Paras (as of 12/31), and a Kimber. You really do need to learn a lot....

But most of it is fun if you're not too averse to a little fitting. I just picked up a Para CCO, and already swapped the MSH and put a Pearce "modular" finger-groove grip module on it. (Uses the original wood.) I also need to polish the chamber a bit - forgot about that when I finished up the other work. It needs cleaning anyway....

I'm a tinkerer. My machinist skills aren't particularly great, so I don't do really serious "metal cutting". OTOH, anything you can do/remove in about five minutes is fair game....

Regards,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts