1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
posted this on a few forums:D

I got this yesterday after the 3 day waiting period. I got it on Gunbroker and after playing with it, I figured it was some cops gun. Horrible, gritty trigger, barrel shroud wear and almost zero turn line on the cylinder. The barrel and cylinder chambers look brand new. I ran a cloth through them and only came out with rust.

I wanted to take care of the trigger so I found a nice tutorial on TFL about how to open up and clean a D-frame, and went to it. I found a lot of rust inside, which I cleaned with G96, an AP brush and a lot of q-tips, and then blew out with compressed air, then re-oiled everything and put it back together. I didn't feel bad about taking it apart as the screw heads were already buggered and the side plate had some 'lift' on the bluing where it looked like someone pressed it in to place in the past. Here are the pictures.

One question I have is that when oiling the crane, I let it go back in to the cylinder and it got stuck. I could only wiggle it side to side at first but then it started to loosen up. With reasonable force I pulled it back out of the cylinder and this little ring came out with it. Not sure what happened but it works and turns fine now.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Not sure about that little sliver, but the insides look like they'll clean up fine and I'm sure everything will smooth out. You can get replacement screws from Numrich I think, maybe Brownells.

·
Registered
24,357 Posts
I have a Cobra.

I like it a lot. A six shot .38 is about as low as I like to go on the firepower scale for carry. That little lightweight revolver tucks away in my pocket like it is not even there.

My two cents. :rock::rock:

·
Premium Member
1,633 Posts
congrats!

Sold this Cobra cuz it was just to clean and pretty to beat on:

Carry this Agent:

btw: I would not ignore that mystery part. Have an experienced Colt gunsmith take a look.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I agree with doc540. Have that part checked out by a reputable smith.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Like Awdeity I came across a new to me Colt, not a cobra but an agent so very similar. I completely disassembled mine because like the OP's mine had a little rust and really needed an internal cleaning. When taking out my cylinder I didn't notice any type of ring like part. You may be able to go to numrich's website and see if they have an exploded diagram and see if any such part is shown. Doc 540, what is the finish on that agent, is it original?

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
In these little fixed sight "D" frame guns, Colt made a steel frame as the Detective Special, and two aluminum models, the Agent and the Cobra.

In the early 50's the Agent had a "stubby" grip frame, and the DS and Cobra had the original long, rounded butt frame.
In 1965-66 Colt changed all "D" framed revolvers to the stubby frame.

·
Registered
293 Posts
In my experience Colt and S&W will not charge for screws. That also includes grip screw bushings on 1911s. The little sliver is a mystery to me. It could be a broken shim that was added to correct excessive end shake with the cylinder or crane.

·
Premium Member
1,633 Posts
Latest incarnation of the Agent with custom Jim Badger grips.

I'm actually shipping them back to him today to narrow them even a little bit more than he did originally.

Great guy to deal with.

http://www.badgercustomgrips.com

1 - 12 of 12 Posts