1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am your typical S&W accumulator. I stepped outside my comfort zone by bidding on a Manurhrin since I have never seen one. The below picture is the only one provided in the auction listing. It will most likely not get to my FFL until next week at the earliest. I do hope the MR73 is as good and nice as reports give it. I have researched, looked at pictures and had it on my bucket list for some time. This one is as nice as any I have seen on the market.

The auction listing claims the revolver shows little if any use, has a 5 & 1/4" barrel, is 99% or better, NILL grips and original factory hard case (w/combination hasp lock, cleaning kit, sight adjustment tool, and manual). I doubt the grips are original, but I am not going to moan and groan about NILL closed back walnut grips.

1046.jpg

·
Registered
925 Posts
Interesting. I have never handled or fired a Manurhrin revolver. They do command a good amount when they are available, so that alone must reflect quality rather than just conductibility.

Hard to go wrong with nearly any .357 revolver. Please post a range report if possible.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I've only read good things about them as a manufacturer. There were a few surplus police examples that came on the market about two years ago that had peaked my interest. None were in the condition of this example but they seemed like a solid price for what most consider to a very well made firearm.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
That looks gorgeous, congratulations on snagging it.

I picked up one of the police trade ins a few years ago- the ouside is pretty grim, but it is a fantastic shooter. The trigget is sublime. You'll really enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
That looks gorgeous, congratulations on snagging it.

I picked up one of the police trade ins a few years ago- the ouside is pretty grim, but it is a fantastic shooter. The trigget is sublime. You'll really enjoy it.

There's a thread on another forum (I forgot where) where a guy had one that was about as rough looking as yours and had it refinished somewhere here in the US. The "after" pictures looked like it was brand new. If I had one like yours I would look into finding someone here who could refinish it. Maybe Ford's in Florida for example. It would be worth it and would look fantastic! Check out their Master Bluing. That would look great on your MR73.

Click the link

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I saw that on the other forum, it does look amazing, but i'm happy to keep mine as a "shooter"

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase, I think you will be very happy with it. The Nill grips might be original to the gun, the website of the manufacturer show some wearing those.

Your gun was produced by CHAPPUIS ARMES who took over the tooling and production of the revolvers from Manurhin over 20 years ago I believe. This is denoted by the HA prefix in the serial number. They also produce high end hunting shotguns and bolt action rifles.

I bought a brand-new one in 2009 (produced in December 2007), I would’ve loved the 5 1/4 inch barrel however they only had the six inch barrel in stock so I took it anyway and never regretted it. It’s a beautiful revolver with an amazing finish, rivalling the best pythons, it is extremely accurate, and very durable.

Some of the French GIGN (SWAT equivalent) guns shot over 150,000 rounds.

A few pics of mine

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Congratulations on your purchase, I think you will be very happy with it. The Nill grips might be original to the gun, the website of the manufacturer show some wearing those.

Your gun was produced by CHAPPUIS ARMES who took over the tooling and production of the revolvers from Manurhin over 20 years ago I believe. This is denoted by the HA prefix in the serial number. They also produce high end hunting shotguns and bolt action rifles.

I bought a brand-new one in 2009 (produced in December 2007), I would’ve loved the 5 1/4 inch barrel however they only had the six inch barrel in stock so I took it anyway and never regretted it. It’s a beautiful revolver with an amazing finish, rivalling the best pythons, it is extremely accurate, and very durable.

Some of the French GIGN (SWAT equivalent) guns shot over 150,000 rounds.

A few pics of mine

Magnificent looking revolver and great shooting with both the revolver and the camera. Your comment on the NILL stocks/grips makes sense.

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
I recall a lengthy post here on the 1911 Forum some years ago with an individual (I believe an academic gentlemen) who had extensive and detailed information and opinions on the MR73. Worth a search.

Beautiful example based on the photograph posted. Enjoy.

Reactions: lamarw

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
That looks like a fine example of what is arguably the finest revolver there is.

Congratulations and best of luck with it.

·
Registered
745 Posts
A deceased friend of mine had two, in a word "exquisite". Engineering and tolerances were extremely tight. a couple of us bid on them, all the estate firearms went to a dealer. Doubt you will be disappointed and congratulations lamarw.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts