1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up an older GSR in trade. Thought I would get some feedback from the "SIG Guys". Pre Revolution. Odd Grip Safety and a "Manhole Cover" on the slide. I have the original grips and four Novak mags. Two marked Novak and two plain.

I have searched and found that there are a few here on the SIG Forum that know the history of these. I could use some feedback on whether it is a keeper and something to help finance future projects with.

Is this one of the Caspian, no MIM guns? Thanks for the education.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The manhole cover came after the old Caspian builds IIRC. I don't think they started using MIM parts until after the manhole cover models were phased out.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The manhole cover came after the old Caspian builds IIRC.
I searched and found where Caspian were offering a "Kit" a few years ago that had these "Manhole Cover" slides. These were the overruns and/or seconds from the Sigarms deal. This would lead me to believe that the slide on the GSR pictured would be of the caspian era. When Sig brought them "in-house" they omitted the hole and used a modified cut-off extractor to hold in the firing pin block.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You folks are very fortunate here on the Sig Forum to have member JonCombatCdr in your ranks. This gentleman took a considerable amount of his personal time to send me a complete breakdown of the GSR and to explain to me what I have acquired.

I just wanted to publicly say thank you to him for sharing his time and knowledge with me. He is first class!

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
The gun is most likely one of the no MIM guns. There was an issue with the extractors on the early guns so many of them were replaced. If your gun went back to the factory at any time, it might have a MIM extractor now.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
if your pistol runs, you have a good one and I wouldn't worry about anything...

Some observations from memory when these came out...

The GSR (Granite State Rail) were the first pistols...even if they didn't have a rail...

The manhole cover holds in the drop safety (or whatever SIGs name for it was...manhole cover isn't right either but it IS what everyone calls it)...check it periodically to see it doesn't come loose...many people mistakenly believed this was some safety switch that SIG came up with and turning it activated/deactivated it...

Should be no MiM parts but could have them if it ever went back to SIG for work...

you should have a lot of quality parts that should but may not play well with each other, however, if there is an issue, it can usually be easily fixed by someone who knows how to work on 1911 pattern pistols...

if you got it for a good price or just like it, I think you did all right...I'd probably pick one up for the right price if I saw it...enjoy!

I have a little newer SIGArms GSR Revolution STX and it is a wonderful 1911 pattern pistol that needed some minor tweaking (I sent mine to my Teddy Jacobson) and it is wonderful...as nice as any I have used...

Bill

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
does yours have night sights???...if not, you may have an early stainless XO...but I suspect you have a more upscale version if you have the original wood stocks...

and as mentioned, the hump grip safety is a Caspian product...(mine has been 100% but for a rattling sound)...:D

Bill

Bill

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went through the GSR this weekend. Did a trigger job with the original parts leaving all of the series 80 safety functional. 3.25 lb. trigger with no creep or follow. All Good parts.

I don't think the grip safety will ever grow on me though. I guess function and not looks was what caspian had in mind. It is a .250 radius so a change may be in the future.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Keeper, Jon may chime in here sometime.

Bruce Gray at Grays Guns can give you an ed. as well, he worked on Jon's a lot IIRC... extractor profiling I think...shooter/keeper...

·
Registered
805 Posts
Ok, guys, Jon'll chime in!

TMyers has an early production GSR, with the Caspian slide and receiver, and Storm Lake barrel. While there's a good liklihood that he'll have no problems whatsoever with his, I suggested to him that previously observed potential issue areas with these guns were hammer lean/scraping on slide/frame, the extractor retaining pin drifting out, a too tight chamber, and chipping/breaking extractors. SIG, Bruce Gray, and EGW have all come up with significantly improved extractors, both in terms of material composition and hook geometry-it's the one component probably to be replaced from the get-go. The SIG and EGW ones are the most easily obtainable-Bruce seems to make is either in small lots or on an "as needed" basis (but it's a truly excellent one). Additional areas potentially needing attention could be grip safety fit, plunger tube staking, and grip safety rub on the hammer strut.

I personally actually prefer the Caspian grip safety; it's vertical fin ensures that wherever you palm fits, it's gonna deactivate that sucker; but others (including Bruce Gray) revile the aesthetics and feel. YMMV...

Silversport, TMyers replaced the grips himself with the current traditional double diamond grips; he has the OEM Herretts fully checkered ones (the ones where the orange dye tended to come off on one's sweating palm...)

His is definitely a no MIM gun (assuming his has the OEM components); MIM components did not make their way onto the GSRs until around 2007 (starting with the disconnectors), after Caspian was eliminated as the vendor for the slides and receivers (post-Caspian receivers have 25 LPI frontstrap checkering (except for a few special edition "bald" frontstrap models), and the arch where the triggerguard meets the frontstrap is a bit lower-Caspian recievers have serrated frontstraps {as seen in TMyers' images} and a "high ride" receiver frontstrap/triggerguard profile) roughly coincident with the elimination of the "manhole" (but 2007 was a bit of a "mix and match" period for GSRs-I personally saw a higher serial-numbered GSR with a manhole hatch, and a non-manhole/faux extractor safety access one concurrently with a lower serial number...).

To the best of my knowledge, there have never been any railed XOs (but given SIG's parts-bin engineering approach from time to time with their 1911 line-up, I'll freely admit that "never" is a dangerous statement to make)-and the silver stainless ones that I saw prior to SIG eliminating silver as an XO finish all had a spotty/mottled bead-blasted finish on the slides-they literally looked like the finish was applied by a 5 year-old...but then, the XO concept was to serve as a retail option for GSRs with some slightly cosmetically blemished components (but operationally as good as any other GSR). More recent ones have simply been a bit de-contented (e.g, "no name" (Champion knock-offs of Novaks) contrast sights vs. Novaks (although the XOs seem to have all had the Novak pinned front sight, albeit a contrast/white dot one).

It was a pleasure helping TMyers-and thanks for the shout-out-I'm glad to have been of assistance.

Best, Jon

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
Sig switched to champion sights around late 2010-early 2011. Around this time there was "experimentation" with different parts. Basically, use what was available.

The EGW sear would come and go. Sig trigger components used to be amazing. The EGW sear, ball head disconnector and barstock hammer made it super easy to tune these triggers up. Usually, only the hammer hooks needed to be squared up and polished. You could drop in the sear without any prep and it would be fine.

Now, who knows what you will get. If they left the guns as they were in 2010 with the Storm Lake barrel, quality ignition parts and learned a thing or 2 about metal prep on sliding surfaces, these guns would still be the best value under 1000 bucks.

I really hope Sig still reads the posts on this forum. All their issues are easily fixable but the ignorance of 2 or 3 people block the flow of good ideas.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Have you had any problems with soft metal in the slide?

My 2nd generation GSR with the manhole cover, speed bump safety but marked Revolution has had some preening at the slide stop notch as well some denting of the metal near the breach face just above the extractor groove.

Mine is the railed stainless version.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Have you had any problems with soft metal in the slide?

My 2nd generation GSR with the manhole cover, speed bump safety but marked Revolution has had some preening at the slide stop notch as well some denting of the metal near the breach face just above the extractor groove.

Mine is the railed stainless version.
Can you post a pic of what that looks like?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts