1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the Nation's Gun Show at the Expo Center in Chantilly today. I couldn't make it Friday or yesterday.
I couldn't find a decently priced unbeaten 4" 686 or 625 wheelgun so I decided to get something I've been wanting for some time; A 1927 Sistema Colt.

I'm not real smart on the particulars of these but I've been told that they're pretty much as good as a G.I. 1911A1 and the differences are allegedly only cosmetic.
It's in decent condition. The grips seem to be mismatched but everything that's numbered matches.
Some idiot did an "extra creep with a side of grit" trigger job on it and the recoil spring feels a little light. I suspect the same idiot used the same stone axe to "adjust" the rear sight a little.
It's been reparked over some pitting and dings but the sear, sear pin, hammer pin and mag catch screw are still blued. The trigger/sear/grip safety spring is still blued too. I think part of the trigger job was to bend this spring.

Were any other parts originally blued?

Can anyone tell me when this thing was made based on the serial number?
It's 659xx.

Terrible pictures

I'm moving to AZ in two days and wanted to get my final "one gun a month" gun before I leave VA.

Thanks,
Jon

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Its a licensed Colt copy as you might know already. Its been parkerized, otherwise, It looks like it's in good shape to me. Just make sure that the fire controls are working properly and the barrel is still good. They're good shooters from what I've heard.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
butchblosc said:
J E D, that serial number places your pistol at 1951 production. The original finish was black oxide.
Wow. '51 is pretty recent compared to 1927.

Black oxide like the matte finish 1991 pistols?
That finish looked like they were park'd THEN blued. The feedramp on my 1991 commander was a pretty blue but the rest of the gun had a dense oxide finish on it.

Anyone know how to correctly duplicate the black oxide finish?

·
Registered
12 Posts
butchblosc said:
J E D, that serial number places your pistol at 1951 production. The original finish was black oxide.
Thats not a Colt serial that is an Argentina military serial number, no way of telling when it was made. The first Sistema Colts were made by Colt until the factory in Argentina could be set up to produce locally. The ones made by Colt have all the period Colt markings, you can tell by the oversize SN on yours that it is a later production made in Argentina. Nothing wrong with it as a shooter and it takes 1911 parts, though I would limit it to standard pressure rounds.

M

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It does, in fact, shoot well except that it shoots very high. To sanity check myself I shot my 1917 vintage 1911 and could print groups right on at 25 yards.

The black plastic grips didn't match so I put on some black rubber double-diamond grips off of my Kimber extra-expensive 22 1911.

The EDM wide spur hammer I installed chewed a huge bloody hole in the web of my thumb so I got out my stone axe and put a radius on it that matches the hammer on my Colt.
With no fitting at all the trigger is as good as any GI 1911 I've fired and it has no creep.

I'm going to try an old ratty GI barrel and a 1990s vintage Springfield Armory 2 piece barrel and see if the POI changes. Both barrels cycle more smoothly than the stock Sistema barrel. I'm probably going to put in a Kart EZ-fit barrel at some point. I think I may turn this one into a sleeper.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.