1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy folks. I've owned several 1911s over the years (mostly Colts) but recently got the itch to pick up a high end semi-custom. Last week I had the opportunity to trade off a few of my pistols and get a Talon II Bobtail so I went for it.

This one was built in July of this year, has a bull barrel and was ordered all blacked out.

I've put a bunch of mixed up ammo through it without a single hiccup. Very nice well built 1911. I love it!

The only change I plan to make is a set of Tactical Burst II grips from JSGrips in black & gray to break up the darkness a bit.

Anyway, the main reason I'm posting here (other than to show off my new toy :D) is to ask your opinions of Nighthawk's "Perma Kote" finish. This pistol will not be a safe queen. It'll most likely be my EDC, at least in the winter months. I've never really liked the idea of paint on a handgun (I believe that's basically what Perma Kote is?), but we'll see how it holds up. If it doesn't work out, I guess I can always have it blued. For those of you who carry your Nighthawks, how well has this finish held up for you?

Attachments

·
Registered
546 Posts
If it was built this year its 99% likely that its not permacote. It should be black nitride which holds up extremely well. Better than permacote which was pretty good itself. They started the black nitride in I believe aug 2012 or somewhere close to that. Nice gun btw congrats.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Chris. That's good news! I was just assuming it was Perma Kote because that's what they have listed under the specs section for the Talon II Bobtail on their website. I did see the note about the new Nitride finish on the main page but wasn't sure if mine had it or not. The Nighthawk test target is dated July of this year so I guess it does. Thanks again for the info. :)

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Nice Talon II I really like the blacked out look myself. Congrats what's that test target look like or should I even ask. :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice Talon II I really like the blacked out look myself. Congrats what's that test target look like or should I even ask. :D
Thanks! I like the blacked out look too, but really love the way the two tone tactical burst grips look (I have a set on my 22/45 LITE).

If I had the target with me I'd scan it and post it, but unfortunately its at home in my safe. To answer the question though, just a single hole dead center of the little notch. I believe they fired 3 rounds from a bench.

I do have a couple of targets from when I fired it the other day, although I'm not nearly as good of a shot as they are.

First target is 7 rounds at 7 yards (standing, two hands, no rest). Shooting a little low left but I think that's just me pulling it a bit.

Next target is 7 rounds at 15 yards. Couple of flyers but still a nice tight group of 5 in the same location.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
That's a fine shooting NHC and after you get used to shooting it more often your really going to be tearing the center out of those targets. Congrats nice shooting and Thanks for the pics. :rock:

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Heres my talon that has just shy of 5K through it and is almost five years old. It lives in a Exodus horsehide holster. Starting to show some nice wear which i think looks cool!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah a little wear does give it character. Nice NH.

I contacted NHC for some info on mine. It is the Nitride finish as Chris said.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Yeah a little wear does give it character. Nice NH.

I contacted NHC for some info on mine. It is the Nitride finish as Chris said.
Sweet :rock:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
If you call Nighthawk with your serial number they should be able to tell you if it's PermaKote or Nitride. I'm guessing Nitride.

Edit:

Nevermind, I see you already did confirm the Nitride finish. It's a tough finish, but be sure to search this forum about its maintenance. There are certain cleaners you should avoid. Some stuff will permanently discolor it.

Congrats.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts