1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a law enforcement officer that may be getting hired by a dept. that does not allow my wonderful 1911 .45. I want to stay with the 1911 platform and have now become interested in double stack 1911's. What is everyone's opinion on a P16-40 Limited black for duty use? How does the recoil compare to a standand government .45? Night sights to replace the adjustable standard ones? Thanks for the help everyone! I am trying to avoid giving up the 1911 platform.

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
May I assume your department will allow the LDA then? Why downgrade to .40 Short & Weak to get an extra cartridge or two? Frankly why carry a double stack pistol at all? I'll bet you've plenty of standard M1911 magazines.

I found my P14-45 to be the size of a loaf of bread on my hip in a duty holster and of significant weight -- and this was the alloy frame version, not the all steel LDA version. Magazines are likewise bulky. I've gone back to single stack magazines. The Glock 21 was just as bad/good depending on your point of view.

I find Commander barrel length pistols easier to handle in close quarters. Para Colonel is the high capacity version. Tac-S is the 7+1 (you can easily go 8+1 with high quality M1911 magazines) version.

I fit XS24/7 big dot-over-post tritium night sights to my pistols which didn't come with Noval dot-over-bar tritiums.

-- Chuck

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I'm not sure I understand your question....

You're not allowed to carry a single stack 1911, but a double stack would be OK???

Regardless, I carried a P13-45 for a few years. When your belt duty belt weighs a gazillion pounds anyway, the extra rounds and weight of a double stack don't make that much difference.

The reassurance of all those rounds is nice. I'm not a big fan of adjustable sights for duty, but the LPA sights are durable IMO.

Recoil is negligable. The weight of the pistol + extra rounds helps even more. Night sights are a nice luxury, but I have never felt they were necessary on a duty weapon.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whoops I meant no .45!

I'm am sorry I reread my post and I didn't give the real reason for switching. It is NOT the single action. In fact, I would get the single action version not the LDA. I cannot carry a .45! It either has to be a 9mm or a .40. I am not real fond of the single stack .40's because of the round capacity. I was ok with it in a .45 but if I am carrying a smaller round I would prefer at least a few more rounds.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have lost track of the rounds thru my P16-40.20 thousand+It's accuracy is incredible.Oh the barrel bushing cracked,It was less than $20 delivered.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts