1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm just getting into reloading and 1911's. i got a Kimber Gold Match II a few months ago. I joined a "Bullseye" club, and want to reload target loads. At the advice of a local supply house, I bought some 200 grain lead SWC's, and a can of 700X. A friend and I bought a Dillon 550B, and I was about to use the recommendations listed in my new Speer Reloading Manual, but I was told by another enthusiast that their loads are hotter than I'll need. I'm trying to find out how many grains of 700X will do, and if I'll need to change springs. I'll very much appreciate your suggestions Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
loads

As far as powder goes, if you didn't know already, it's always best to find a load that is recommended for the actual bullet being used. I just found that out myself. If you have the Speer book, and bought Speer bullets, you should be in good shape. Also, for seating depths of the bullet, go by bullet manufacturer also, since they all might have a different taper or shoulder on the bullet. You don't want a bullet too long that it is riding up against the lands when chambered, this will cause more pressure. I don't know about the 700x powder, but it should work good when you start playing with different loads. I started loading .45 about 2 or 3 months ago, and finally got it perfect. I've loaded rifle for a while now though. For the .45, I use Hodgdon's Universal Clays: 5.9 gr. w/230 gr. Hornady bullet, 6.5 gr. w/200 gr Hornady bullet, and 6.5 gr. w/185 gr Hornady bullet. I really like Hornady... in ball, FMJ-FN, and the HP-XTP, all fully enclosed base. The 185's and 200's are a great light recoiling load for target. Watch out for the lead bullets frequently leading the barrel. Your results may be better, but my Kimber really likes these loads. I've also never loaded so light that I need a lighter recoil spring, I might play with that sometime in the future. Hope this helps

·
Registered
143 Posts
It's always a good idea to check several sources before working up a load. I use 3 manuals at home, and then I check the powder and bullet manufacturer's website for load data. Once I find out the average loads...I usually start somewhere on the low end and build 10 bullets...then move up a tenth or a couple of tenths of a grain and build 10 more. I do this up until I have reached the upper limit (based on all sources). I will then go out and test fire each set, and compare accuracy. Somewhere in the sets of 10, a group will stand out as being more accurate IN MY GUN than the others. Assuming it meets PF requirements, that is the one I use to build bullets. If ever I change powders or bullet brands...I do the same thing all over again.

http://www.imrpowder.com/pdf/IMR_handgun.pdf

IMR says:

.45 A.C.P.
REM. CASE; REM. 2 1/2 PR
HORNADY 200 GR. LEAD SWC;
.452" DIA.; 5.0" PISTOL BBL.;
1.170" C.O.L.

700-X ..................4.4 GR...................775 FPS
700-X ..................5.5 GR...................930 FPS

See how that compares with your other information.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts