1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, My lee loadmaster should be in tomorrow, along with a lee reloading manual, my question is, after looking around the web I see there are many diiferent powders to use, can someone give me one brand that may be the best for a newbie to loading?, I will be using my loads in three gun with 200 gn rn bullets, looking for the lighter side of recoil, any particular opinons on that?, thanks, I hate to buy several differnt types to try and learn with

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Car Knocker:
tmg,

Welcome to the board!

I've noticed that W231, AA#5 and Unique seem to be favorites of regular posters.
Thanks, Glad to be here, any one of those work better for say RN fmj or RN lead?

Thanks, I am _very_ new to this, and need to purchase my supplies

Tom

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I use both W231 and Unique, along with Bullseye, in my .45. Overall, I would guess that more rounds have been loaded with Bullseye in the last 25 years than with any other powder. Just one caveat: while it's a primo powder for target rounds, Bullseye probably isn't the best powder for full-house loads that you might use for hunting or defense.

Guns differ, so what works well in my gun may not work well in yours. Be prepared to experiment a bit, trying this or that powder to see which is best for your gun/bullet combination. (I tried six powders in my .357 before I settled on one for my home defense loads.)

Welcome aboard. I hope you enjoy reloading as much as I do.

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by jpwright:
I use both W231 and Unique, along with Bullseye, in my .45. Overall, I would guess that more rounds have been loaded with Bullseye in the last 25 years than with any other powder. Just one caveat: while it's a primo powder for target rounds, Bullseye probably isn't the best powder for full-house loads that you might use for hunting or defense.

Guns differ, so what works well in my gun may not work well in yours. Be prepared to experiment a bit, trying this or that powder to see which is best for your gun/bullet combination. (I tried six powders in my .357 before I settled on one for my home defense loads.)

Welcome aboard. I hope you enjoy reloading as much as I do.

Thanks, I hope I enjoy it too, Sounds like fun plus it will be a savings (hopefully I will shoot more then <g> )

It sounds like it's trial and error more than anything, I get my press and reloading manual tomorrow, so I need to get powder bullets primers, I have been saving all my brass for a _long_ time, I have tons of it! Woo Hoo<grin> Heck I dopn;t even know what type of bullet to use yet, I have been using reloads from a local place 200gn fmj's for three gun for a while now, I know hte gun didn't like swc but I sure like the wholes those punch in the target, I'm looking for light loads so I guess I'll try, I hate to buy poiunds of powder that may not work though
thanks for your time
tom

·
Registered
41 Posts
Bullseye or Win231 work well. I had a little more trouble metering Unique in the Lee auto disk. I assume that you're loading the .45 auto. What three guns are you talking about?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm a big fan of Hodgdon HS-6 for medium to large caliber pistols -- 38, 9mm to 44 magnum. HS-6 will load for 44 mag, but there are better choices on this end.

HS-6 is versitile, slightly bulky, and excellent for medium to heavy loads in all sorts of bullet weight. It's spherical and meters very accurately.

Bullseye is one of the hottest powders on the market. It's fine for some loads, but lacks the versitility on the high end velocity loads that HS-6 manages well.

W231, Unique, AA-5 are all decent powders. I just happen to like Hodgdon. I like the fact that the Hodgdon container has a large mouth and I can dump powder from a measure without getting out a funnel. -- for whatever that is worth.

·
Registered
550 Posts
For medium intensity target loads, the .45 is not sensitive to powder type. Bullseye, 231, Red Dot and a host of others will work fine. It is a waste of time to experiment with them all. I use 231 because I can get the 8 pound kegs cheaper than the other powders, and it meters very well. If Bullseye were as inexpensive, I would use it, since charge weights are slightly less than with 231.

Slower burning powders like Unique will work, too, but it takes more of it to achieve the same velocity, so expense is increased.

When working up maximum loads, experimenting with different powder types may make a difference, but you need a chronograph to detect it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Genghis:
I'm a big fan of Hodgdon HS-6 for medium to large caliber pistols -- 38, 9mm to 44 magnum. HS-6 will load for 44 mag, but there are better choices on this end.

snip
Bullseye is one of the hottest powders on the market. It's fine for some loads, but lacks the versitility on the high end velocity loads that HS-6 manages well.

I didn't realize this, I did buy a pound of bullseye, also got some rn 200gn fmj, rnfp200 gn lead, and some 200gn swc lead, I hope I can get the swc lead to feed good, they are by far the least expensive

Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts