1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang!

I'm new to the STI/SV board, but not to 1911's. I'm gonna give USPSA Limited a go this year, and I've decided to run an STI double stack.

I currently have a long/wide frame on order from Dawson's, and I was wondering if there any particular ways that race guns like to be set up. So, anybody with build experience as far as competition rigs go, I'd love to hear about what they like. If you don't mind sharing.

I've built defense and carry guns, just never a full-on race rig.

Thanks in advance guys!

Smitty

·
Registered
905 Posts
I can't answer your specific question, but I want to welcome you to the STI family. There's nobody better than Dave Dawson in getting your gun set up properly. He will be glad to help you get the gun just right. Should I tell him that this will most probably not be his only STI?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Great guns, STI's. 2011's are the best way to go in the limited class, short,crisp triggers. I have one of their 1911, love it. I compete in USPSA, Single stack division. Good times ahead. Welcome.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks fella's. I have the gun pretty well mapped out. The question I have is-can STI slides be done up as bull barrel, OR traditional bushing set-ups? And, which would be more recommended as far as reliability goes?

I'm sure this won't be my only STI rig. I've seen and heard lots of great things about STI. Hopefully the build goes well, and I'm really looking forward to the first match.

Thanks guys!

Smitty

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Disable your slide stop, or trim the slide stop tab off your mag followers. With most of the 2011 mags you can very easily over insert a mag, especially with extended basepads and break an ejector.

Plus, if you are shooting limited you should NEVER go to slide lock.

As far as slides go, you can go either way, however I would recommend (in my experience) that if you are building a 6" gun, get a bushing barrel, bull barrel will be too heavy up front. As far as a 5" gun goes bull barrel makes for a nice, flat shooting gun. Both will be equally reliable if fitted right.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I shoot Limited with 6" 2011 in .40SW and also have a 5" 2011 in 9mm at I use for 3-gun.
On both I cut back the mag followers so they won't cause the slide to lock back, but also have the Dawson Posi-lock mag catches installed that were designed to prevent over-insertion. So far so good, but unless my stage plan goes to hell I try reload before I run empty.

As far as how to set up the gun, most people prefer a lightened slide (less reciprocating mass). If you haven't ordered it yet, I would consider getting a slide that has been tri-topped. You can always mill some additional cuts to reduce the weight, but tri-topping does quite a bit to begin with and looks great.

I agree with Entropic: bushing barrel if you go 6", bull if you go 5".

·
Banned
2,925 Posts
image.jpg

I shoot three guns in LTD, these two are used the most. My DP built Edge has been out of service for awhile and needs a rebuild. The two shown have both been rebuilt three times each and together total a little over 272,000 rounds. I have a preference for short dust covers with a bull barrel and a tungsten guide rod. When the Edge gets its rebuild, it will end up as a short dust cover gun with a "classic" slide. Just my way of doing it.
As far as running a working slide lock I have changed my mind. The first 18 years of USPSA had me modifying the mags or slide stop so it wouldn't lock.
Now I just work the mags to run flawlessly with 18 rounds and lock the slide when empty BUT I never intend to have it lock.

Mine are all 5" guns and I've had slides that weighed as low as 10.5 oz up to 13 oz.
I like the lighter ones but the standard "classic" STI slide is good enough with a bull barrel, tungsten GR, and a 14# RS.
All my .40 is loaded to major with 180 Zero FMJs and N320 at 1.160" for 950 fps.
I have a 5" short dust cover SV 9mm for 3 gun even though I prefer the feel of the .40.
The 9mm has a bull barrel but would run better with a bushing barrel. The cycle is too slow on a 9mm bull barrel.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Gents!

Plan is for a 5 incher. I've always liked the look of the full dust cover guns in that length. I have some history with the 5 inchers anyway from lots of playtime with a single stacker.

Educate me on why slide lock is a bad thing. Is it better to re-load on the move, or at a certain point regardless of supply in the gun? I would think it would be worse dropping the hammer on an empty chamber.

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to learn

Smitty

·
Banned
2,925 Posts
Reloading on the move is paramount! Pick your places to reload. In SS it was always reload when moving but in LTD you can pick the spot as you'll have up to 19-20 rounds in the gun. I pretty much always drop a mag with a couple rounds in it.
I quit disabling the slide stop because I never ran the gun empty anyway but it's there if I do....
Those guns have some LTD-10 time too. I want the slide lock in L10.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I think the main reason people disable the slide lock in Limited Division doesn't have anything to do with stage planning compared to other divisions. Rather it has more to do with not over inserting a magazine when the slide is locked back and thereby doing damage to the ejector or causing the magazine to jam up in the frame. Its just the nature of the STI double stack magazines. Unlike a 1911 mag, there isn't a ledge at the bottom of the mag that prevents over insertion.

When I shoot L10 (even with the same gun) I want the slide to lock back on the last round. As a result I have 140mm mags set up specifically for L-10 with stock STI followers and springs that lock back. I keep those separate from my tuned 140mm mags that hold 20+1 or 21+1 that I shoot in Limited.

Like Mick, I typically don't need all 20 or 21 rnds per mag and my stage plan when I shoot Limited division usually call for a reload before I get that low. But every now and then, either the stage design or there is a risk/reward where I might want a few extra insurance rounds.

·
Banned
2,925 Posts
I saw Manny outrun a mike once on a 24 round stage.
He had that super slick 22 round mag ( foreign made ) and one in the chamber for 23 rounds. He fired one round at the last target and stopped. The rest of us wouldn't trust the 20+ mags and did a reload. He beat us all by a little over a second ( the time to reload ) and won the stage with 23 alphas and a mike BUT one second faster than the next guy who had 24 alphas AND the reload!
I don't push that hard or gamble on my equipment..... But then, I'm not Manny by a long shot.... :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info guys! I really appreciate a glimpse into thought scenario's during match time.

I'll definitely look into the Dawson Posi-Lock mag catch's since I am ordering parts for the gun as we all talk here. Any other info as far as parts to have, or to avoid will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for all your help so far!

Smitty

Is this Manny that you speak of Manny Bragg?

·
Registered
693 Posts
First off, good choice going with an STI from Dawson. I've got several from Dawson and the folks there will get you set up right. I shoot a bull barrel Edge in USPSA Limited and an Eagle in IDPA ESP. Both are terrific, but my favorite is the Edge because it's such a flat shooter. Dawson offers a competition ready package that I think is worth the extra couple of hundred bucks. Also get a oversize mag release button. STI pistols only come with one mag so you'll also need to invest in some extras. I would think you would want at least four. You'll probably never need four for a match stage, but having a spare or two on your belt is a good idea. While you didn't mention caliber I would suggest .40S&W so you can benefit from major power factor scoring.

Good luck and have fun! Also save your money, thus won't be your last STI!!!:rofl:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Welcome to the world of sti. Build your gun with freedom gunworks or cheely custom
You could also get stock Edge and send it to Bobby at Freedom Gunworks for just the stuff you want. Its a little cheaper than full custom. Shooters Connection has stock Edges for under $1700.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey gang!

Sorry to get back to this so late, been knocked out with the flu, and pneumonia! FUN STUFF!

Since I'm kind of a do it yourself'r, I didn't go the complete gun route. I ordered all the parts, so that I can build her up myself. Frame, and 90% of the parts are coming direct from Dawson, and the slide is one of the vented Unique's from Brazos Custom. I also ordered 4 magazines from Dawson with my last parts order. The only 1911's that I have that are of the shelf are my Singe Stack gun-Springfield Range Officer, and my carry gun-Colt Lightweight Commander in .38 Super. All the rest are builds.

Going double stack .40 was the plan the whole way. All the research that I've done on Limited told me that the DS 40's rule the roost there. I also found that DS 40's can be the most finicky 1911's around. So, if y'all will bear with me a bit in the coming months, I'm sure I am going to have lots of questions about what makes these guns tick. Since I've never built a widebody, this is new ground for me.

I have read that one of the more important things to consider when getting these guns set up, is how the mags are tuned. I have absolutely ZERO experience with mag tweaking. Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks for the read, and all the feedback so far!

Smitty

·
Banned
2,925 Posts
I'm not sure who told you that .40 DS guns are the most finicky but that hasn't been my experience with .40 DS or SS guns.
The two pictured above along with my old DP Edge total over 330,000 rounds combined.....
They run fine..

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Mick, I haven't had any issues thus far with .40 in the Single Stacker that I built for my wife (she shoots Steel Challenge). That gun runs great. I just try to read anything I can get my hands on, or get onto a screen in front of my face.

I've spent some time over on the Brian Enos forums over the last year. I was going to jump into USPSA last year, but it just never panned out. But, I'm pretty determined to pull it off this year. I was just conveying what I have heard a lot of the guys say over there about how the mag tuning is really important. Since I've never done a double stack gun, I have no idea what to expect.

Smitty

1 - 20 of 22 Posts