1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!

I am brand new to the Forum (post #1), and I am about to venture into my second ever 1911 style pistol.

Here's the quick backstory. Don't hate me, but I have been a Glock guy forever, and a couple years ago one of my good friends talked me into buying a Kimber Pro Carry II HD. Gorgeous gun, however, the frame cracked on it first time out. Kimber took VERY good care of me...excellent company...but I ended up just going back to my Glocks.

Fast forward to today...I am in the market for a top quality 1911, either full size or mid sized (5" or 4"), and my questions are two:

1. What do you folks recommend for a top-notch piece that I can carry, love, shoot, and be buried with that will last a bajillion rounds.

2. Does anyone out there make a finish like Glock that will stand up to years and years of abuse? Not that I am that hard on my firearms, but I has a partial finger-smudge rust onto my Kimber barrel almost immediately, and I live in rainy WA!

Price is not a concern, I am just looking for THE ONE. Any advice with brands and models would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jeepster Chris
Snohomish County, WA

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I would try to shoot a Wilson Combat professional in stainless steel , with a bobtail grip. Should work great for all your requirements.

Lucky

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Check out Fusion, top quality, built your way, at a price the working man can afford.

www.fusionfirearms.com

Ion Bond- DLC is as tough as it gets. It is bonded to the steel at the molecular level. Fusion uses it alot check out the photo thread in the Fusion sub-forum.

Great customer service, you will not be disappointed!

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
Top quality

Bill Wilson Carry model .... with the 4" barrel is hard to beat. I had to choose between that and an Ed Brown Massad Ayoob edition on my last purchase. My deciding factor (Ed Brown) came down to balance and "feel in the hand".
Again .... when spending your $$$, it all comes down to personal preference ... ;)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would try to shoot a Wilson Combat professional in stainless steel , with a bobtail grip. Should work great for all your requirements.

Lucky
I'm on the Wilson site now....very nice stuff! thanks!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Top makers from what I've read on these boards - I really have absolutely no experience with any of these makers, so take my advice for what it's worth

Springfield Armory Professional <--model that SA makes, carried by Feds I think
Nighthawk
Les Baer
Ed Brown
Wilson
Fusion/Volkmann <---little known tho', and I never heard much (either good or bad) about them

I'm sure there's a few more I'm forgetting, but these are some of the top manuf's

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm headed off to the gunshop...going to check out the Bill Wilson Carry and the Ed Brown carry series. I might check out the Nighthawk Talon II also...if they have one....

Jeepster Chris

·
Registered
682 Posts
This is going to be one of those never ending threads.
I think your criteria is still broad and encompasses most of the 1911s on the market.
Best thing to do is head to the range and talk to anyone with a 1911 and I bet they will be more than happy to let you try it.
Even go to some indoor ranges and rent a few different ones.
After a few visits you will be able to narrow down your choices.

I bet if you asked there are probably a few board members that go to a range near you.

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
There are a lot of quality 'factory' 1911s out there that offer a lot of bang for the buck, Dan Wesson would be very high if not at the top of that list. Springfield Armory makes a fine weapon with good customer service. I also would tell you not to overlook S&W, despite the rolling of eyes here over external extractor, they work and are a fine weapon.

Now if you really want to see what the 1911 is all about step up to a semi custom, you pay a bit more, but you get what you pay for. Les Baer offers a great gun for the money, but finish is not their strongest suit, not bad by any means, but others do it much better. Will it go bang every time and print little groups, sure will.

Now if you step up to something like a Wilson, or Brown, you are getting it all, and if anything Browns have an even better finish than Wilson. You simply need to compare a factory gun with a semi-custom to truly appreciate the difference.

Now as to finish, in a word YES. While the only 1911 company I know who offers Melonite from the factory is the S&W custom shop, there are however companies out there that do it aftermarket. Melonite is the same finish (multiple names for it, same process) that Glock uses. If you want the ultimate in protection and long lasting finish, get a 1911 in stainless steel and send it off to be Melonited, it does not get any better than this. IMHO

·
Registered
366 Posts
If price is not a concern :confused: you can contact any custom gun maker and have them make your perfect one:biglaugh: you have a lot of options with unlimited funds, so I would do some research on this forum and others to find out about different finishes and any other features you may want. Your possibilities are endless in the 1911 world :mummy::rofl:

Look at Nighthawk, Wilson, severnscustom.com, Rogers Precision, the list goes on and on and on...

Welcome to the 1911 addiction. Good luck...you are always gonna want another one :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
I like Wilson and EB very much! They are no doubt great 1911's, but if I wanted "The One", it would not be an off the shelf gun.

It would have my one specs. With that said, I would not find it at a gun shop.

I will recommend once again Fusion. What other semi-custom shop can you call and chat with the CEO about your build and what features will be right for you? rather than a pre-packaged gun. Then post questions on this forum to the CEO? None that I know of. Yes, other companies have reps, but not the MAN.

Stop into the Fusion forum. Tons of pics posted by Bob, I think you will see what I'm talking about.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts