1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guy's. I figured I needed to talk to experts about a possible Kimber purchase. I found a 6 month old Kimber TLE II stainless for 862.00 shipped to my FFL. I've been doing some research and have found there are extractor issues, I have a Sig 220 Elite that functions great but cost me over 1000.00 I vowed I wouldn't spend that kind of money again, well I want a 1911 and Kimber is my thought. If I spend the money I really don't want to be sending it back and fourth to Kimber for repairs, I've also heard they've been having some feed failures, expecially the last round. Any help would be great. Thanks' Jonny

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
If you are talking about External Extractor issues they haven't been made for 3 or 4 years. If you are talking about internal extractor issues the worst that it could be would be the replacement of a $40 part, more likely just a 10 minute tuning of the extractor. Nothing to worry about IMO.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Terrible Extractor Problem Here

Well, actually, the only problem is that my Stainless TLE keeps extracting one round after another, without fail, and it's costing me a lot of money! If I had mechanical problems with the extractor it would at least slow down the loss of money. But no, one round after another, out the back and down the drain my money goes at 40-50 cents a pop.

Sometimes I just wish I'd have a FTF, a FTE, a FTRB or just something, maybe a problem with that piece of junk original Kimber mag I'm using with all those fragile MIM parts. Nope. Nothing. It just keeps on extracting.

Guess I'm glad. No problems yet. What can I call Kimber's Customer Service about?

Maybe my cap. I just ordered a hat. They will probably mess up that for sure.

JonnyBigGuns - I hope you have as few problems with that Stainless TLE as I've had with mine. Mine has been flawless, except for the rapid extracting.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
It'll probably be "sage" when it arrives. If I order khaki, I want khaki. OD is the bomb:).. Cheers.. Ron

Well, actually, the only problem is that my Stainless TLE keeps extracting one round after another, without fail, and it's costing me a lot of money! If I had mechanical problems with the extractor it would at least slow down the loss of money. But no, one round after another, out the back and down the drain my money goes at 40-50 cents a pop.

Sometimes I just wish I'd have a FTF, a FTE, a FTRB or just something, maybe a problem with that piece of junk original Kimber mag I'm using with all those fragile MIM parts. Nope. Nothing. It just keeps on extracting.

Guess I'm glad. No problems yet. What can I call Kimber's Customer Service about?

JonnyBigGuns - I hope you have as few problems with that Stainless TLE as I've had with mine. Mine has been flawless, except for the rapid extracting.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
Uh oh, that's just asking for trouble. Sure hope they send the right color since I've read here that Kimber's customer service sucks when it comes to dealing with customer's hat colors.

There are other considerations when buying a Kimber cap. Do they offer a lifetime cap warranty and pay for shipping back? If the color fades will they tell you that you shouldn't have worn it in the sun and not fix it?

I've heard they use plastic molded parts on the hat clasp. What if they break and it covers your eyes just when you are in a life threatening situation? You should think about replacing it with a steel clasp. Best get a stainless one so it will rust less (but remember you still have to keep it coated with oil.)

What material is used for the bill? Do they save a few bucks and use cardboard or do they use a quality plastic? You wouldn't want the bill to collapse if you are in combat in the rain. It could once again blind you at a critical time.

You need to worry about these kinds of things before you get your hat so if any of them happen, you will be prepared to post about it. On the other hand, you could just order the hat, wear it when you get it and see if there are any problems with it. (Kinda takes the fun out of it.)

:)

·
Banned
4,761 Posts
Uh oh, that's just asking for trouble. Sure hope they send the right color since I've read here that Kimber's customer service sucks when it comes to dealing with customer's hat colors.

There are other considerations when buying a Kimber cap. Do they offer a lifetime cap warranty and pay for shipping back? If the color fades will they tell you that you shouldn't have worn it in the sun and not fix it?

I've heard they use plastic molded parts on the hat clasp. What if they break and it covers your eyes just when you are in a life threatening situation? You should think about replacing it with a steel clasp. Best get a stainless one so it will rust less (but remember you still have to keep it coated with oil.)

What material is used for the bill? Do they save a few bucks and use cardboard or do they use a quality plastic? You wouldn't want the bill to collapse if you are in combat in the rain. It could once again blind you at a critical time.

You need to worry about these kinds of things before you get your hat so if any of them happen, you will be prepared to post about it. On the other hand, you could just order the hat, wear it when you get it and see if there are any problems with it. (Kinda takes the fun out of it.)

:)
:rofl:

Questions?..... If I order one of these custom caps...is the metal clasp in the back MIM? What lube should I use on it? If it works the first 100 times I wear it... can I trust it not to break and fall down over my face in a SD situation? Is there a long expensive break in period for these damn things?:confused:

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
Questions?..... If I order one of these custom caps..
Kimber is a production cap maker, not a custom maker. They don't make caps to order.

You would have to find a "Master Capsmith" to send it to after you got it. ;)

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Every time this cap stuff starts I want to :bawling:.

But it's with a :biglaugh: as well.

Too bad new readers of this forum will have no clue as to what's going on.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts

Wauuuuugghhhh!!! instant classic!:biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Well, I heard Kimber caps are too tight and don't stay on your head reliably, but mine stays on just fine -- I don't get it. All this negative talk about Kimber caps makes me worry about wearing my cap.

·
Registered
879 Posts
My Kimber cap doesn't have a clasp on the back. It's one of the semi-fitted caps with elastic in the back and it fits my big head really well. I'm really happy with it, but am I going to run into trouble with it? I believe the rubber in the elastic may be RIM...does that make it fragile? Please let me know...I don't want to run into cap issues like FTC or FTS...

·
Registered
1,776 Posts

My Kimbers also exhibit this strange extractor issue. I called Kimber and asked them for a shipping label to send it in. I was informed that this issue is actually a design feature that cannot be changed. I'm so mad. Damn you Kimber. They're throwing all my money downrange, and I can't make it stop! I've spent thousands of dollars in ammo costs trying to remedy this issue. :bawling: :biglaugh:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Does the gun have a buffer installed?

I have found if you install a "Buffer" you will get a miss feed on the last round. Also the gun will not let you chamber a new round from a new clip by raking the slide.
Hello guy's. I figured I needed to talk to experts about a possible Kimber purchase. I found a 6 month old Kimber TLE II stainless for 862.00 shipped to my FFL. I've been doing some research and have found there are extractor issues, I have a Sig 220 Elite that functions great but cost me over 1000.00 I vowed I wouldn't spend that kind of money again, well I want a 1911 and Kimber is my thought. If I spend the money I really don't want to be sending it back and fourth to Kimber for repairs, I've also heard they've been having some feed failures, expecially the last round. Any help would be great. Thanks' Jonny

·
Registered
3 Posts
Kimber Slide Problem

I have a Kimber SIS and I have found a strange problem.....If I have a round in the chamber, and a fully loaded 8 rounds in the mag...if the slide is moved slightly backwards...it will not go back into battery and will not fire

However....If the 8 round mag is loaded with only 7 rounds...there is no problem.

NOTE: The slide spring is new and that is not the problem....the problem seems to be that round #8 seems to drag on the inside of the slide and cause it not to seat into battery.........

Has anyone had this problem or do you know of a remedy,,

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, I heard Kimber caps are too tight and don't stay on your head reliably, but mine stays on just fine -- I don't get it. All this negative talk about Kimber caps makes me worry about wearing my cap.
I thought you have to wear it for 500 to 1000 days before it fits right and you can really depend on it to keep the sun out of your eyes without issue! :biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
My Kimber camo cap came.

My Kimber camo cap came.

I was rather disappointed because there is nothing to complain about. It arrived in less than a week. Right cap and all. Right recoil springs. Right magazines. No reason to call Customer Service and complain to those Yonkers Yanks.

Ah, but one thing. The tag on the cap said “Made for you in China.” Not only did my buying the cap take away American jobs but it added to our trade deficit. I thought all things Kimber were made in the US? I can’t believe that.

Anyway, I put Brylcreem on my hair (remembering to lubricate well during the break in period), racked the cap on my head 200 times trying to get it adjusted just right. No MIM or Tupperware parts - just Velcro so I was able to fit my own custom cap. Won’t need to have my Stetson hatter friend adjust it.

I’ve worn it to bed, trying to break it in. I’ll do that for a few days until I take it out to the range. There was a glitch the first time though. When I got up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night the dog started barking. Then she bit me, not recognizing me with the cap on. All the sudden commotion woke up my wife. Before I could say “Honey, it’s me” I could see a red dot on my chest from her bed stand gun and its Crimson Trace.

All this woke up the kids; screaming and then laughing followed. And the dog still barking, not sure what was going on or who I was.

Cap looks really good. My wife let me wear it to the Christmas Eve service. She wouldn’t sit with me however. She and the kids pretended they didn’t know me as they sat across the church from me.

There were lots of “thumbs up” from the men in the choir. Preacher looked at me kind of funny though, until he saw me put a $100 bill in the collection plate. Then he just grinned at me. “Merry Christmas,” he said, to me and all.

God bless Kimber and everyone (even “the Glocks”).

·
Registered
26 Posts
i own a kimber

i have owned a kimber and is my only 1911 that i own. The kimber is a great gun to own but there are some issues that i think kimber has to start working on. One being their rust issues, With some of their finishes the kimber does not hold correctly. Also some magwell lock issues but those are easily fixed.
I think that kimber has created a great 1911 series of guns but has gotten alitlle careless on how they finish their 1911's. I look forward to buying a new 1911 this year probably a stainless model.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts