1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only took me 6 years but soon i will be part of your W.C. Family. I had the Spec -9 on order for months thinking that was going to be my carry but i changed it to the X-tac.
I not going to ask a lot of questions --YET.. Is the x-tac going to be like my Carry 11 Kimber that you have to run 1000 rounds to get it right ? If any of you have the X-tac just tell me stuff that you love about it. Dam-i ca't wait !!!!
Hope you all have a very Happy Christmas--You and the Family !
PS---If W.C. ever started making a Revolver -i would be the first !! I know i shouldn't say this on this forum --I am a Revolver NUT.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
You will love the X-tac, and Wilson used to offer a revolver some time ago. Don't believe they made many of them though. I'm sure others will provide more info.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
My XTAC is one of my favorite guns, even among other Wilson 1911's. You will enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Wilson did make (rather customize) a few Smith 66's and made PPC guns, as well as hunting revolvers. I've been hunting a WC 66-5 3" for years. Almost got one two years ago. Victor Tibbets did the work IIRC.

The X-Tac should be good to go right from the start 99.9% of Wilson guns are. Don't clean it for the first 500 rounds, and use light oil regularly. Some have minor issues like extractors which need a little tuning, and even fewer need to be sent back to correct an issue. You read about those on forums, but the people whose guns run great don't post about it as much :). Make sure if you reload, use a factory crimp die and get to .469. My seat/crimp die was at .472-.473 and I had problems due to the Wilson's match chamber. Got the factory crimp die and it is now super reliable.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wilson did make (rather customize) a few Smith 66's and made PPC guns, as well as hunting revolvers. I've been hunting a WC 66-5 3" for years. Almost got one two years ago. Victor Tibbets did the work IIRC.

The X-Tac should be good to go right from the start 99.9% of Wilson guns are. Don't clean it for the first 500 rounds, and use light oil regularly. Some have minor issues like extractors which need a little tuning, and even fewer need to be sent back to correct an issue. You read about those on forums, but the people whose guns run great don't post about it as much :). Make sure if you reload, use a factory crimp die and get to .469. My seat/crimp die was at .472-.473 and I had problems due to the Wilson's match chamber. Got the factory crimp die and it is now super reliable.
Do not clean it ? 500 rounds. Don't even take it apart ? I don't do reloads. I just bought 500 rounds of winchester 45 auto -230 grain -full metal jacket and 500 more federal 165 hydra -JHP. Just to get started. I read the X-tac will eat that up. Any ammo you like for target for the X-tac ?

·
Super Moderator
14,986 Posts
Don't clean it for the first 500 rounds, that's what the directions say in the owner's manual. Keep it lubed every 100 to 150 rounds during that first 500, that's what it says in the owner's manual. Really. It will be alright. Really.

You're going to really like the XTAC, methinks.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Do not clean it ? 500 rounds. Don't even take it apart ? I don't do reloads. I just bought 500 rounds of winchester 45 auto -230 grain -full metal jacket and 500 more federal 165 hydra -JHP. Just to get started. I read the X-tac will eat that up. Any ammo you like for target for the X-tac ?

The resulting slurry will finish the lapping process. Trust us, and post photos of the messy goodness. We love dirty gun photos here!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes Sir. I'm going to shoot my Sig P226x6 after i shoot 500 rounds with the X-Tac. See if there is any difference. It doesn't get any better then this. SW -41 -22cal.---X6 in 9---X tac in 45
Sw -R-8 -357 -SW- 44 Mag. and a few others. I'm one happy cowboy !!! I forgot Kimber Custom Carry 11. I just wrapped up 4 guns to give my Daughter and my son and there mates. My daughter is getting my Ruger SP 101 - 2 in. with Crimson Laser Grips -to her husb, gets my Remington R-1 enhance 1911. My son gets the Sig P226 1911 scorp. His wife get the new Ruger Rev. 10 shot 22.
They don't know yet, what they are getting for Christmas.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,293 Posts
I'm one happy cowboy !
Oh, it's very easy to see why you're a Happy Cowboy. Your wheel gun's are enough to induce medical symptoms lasting longer than 4 hours.:). The 629 Competitor is an amazing piece of steel, but I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't already know about that precision machine. I think the X will be right at home with the rest of your impressive family ~ The X is a Beast, you'll likely fatigue long before the X will.

Lube it and run it, it'll be good to go right out of the box. Love the green fiber optic front sight and rear Battlesight. The X treatment on the slide, front strap and MSH will convince you that the X was designed to work hard. Don't be surprised if the trigger on the X becomes your referenced standard.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Every gun i buy needs a Fiber opt site. I don't wear glasses yet! My old eyes can see the target but the front site is blur---------

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Revolver guy huh? In addition to those listed below, I'm the proud owner of a stainless Model 27 with 8 inch barrel. Sweet, sweet pistol.

But I digressed. I closely followed both the Kimber and Wilson break in instructions, and never had a hint of problems. The Super Carry Ultra + trigger, out of the box was amazing---almost as amazing as the X-TAC's. I quickly followed up the X with a Protector. That trigger needs a small bit of breaking in and or one or two passes with a stone. Last night I pulled the trigger and purchased from a Master Dealer a gorgeous all black AT Elite Professional. I've been carrying the X, but strongly suspect the EP will become my EDC.

Guess I need to change my profile name. LOL

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Nice to see some wheel guys here. I'm convinced I'm a better shooter for learning and spending time with DA revolvers before moving to semi autos. My 686-6 is still my favorite 7 (or 6) holer.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
I don't even remember how I did it, but I did my own trigger job on my 27 when I was in law school, when I didn't have a pot to urinate in, nor a window through which to throw it. (okay, Dad bought the 27 for me when a local sporting good store was closing shop. I think he paid $150 for it) Me and the buddy next door pooled our resources to buy a Lee loader. (He somehow obtained the old Wesson set with the three barrels--one sweet rig) Anyway, we learned together how to reload and shoot, when that's all we could afford to do. Now that was fun. And that 27 had one sweet trigger, especially single action.

I am a new member to this forum, but in the short time I have been here I had the opportunity and privilege to read Army Chief's posts. I'm not pretentious enough to think I know what was in his brain, but if I had to bet, I would say he was trying to tell us to stop, shoot, and smell the roses. Only a man who loved 1911s as we do, and knew his days were numbered, would have told us this. I think he was trying to tell us to get to know and love the weapons we have rather than lust after every possible mod we can make to these fine weapons.

I apologize in advance to members/moderators of this forum who actually knew and loved Army Chief, and who may be asking why this newbie is pretending to know why our buddy said what he did. I can tell you it's only out of respect.

HK

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I apologize in advance to members/moderators of this forum who actually knew and loved Army Chief, and who may be asking why this newbie is pretending to know why our buddy said what he did. I can tell you it's only out of respect.

HK
Harley/kimber,

While I can’t speak for other members of this forum I can tell you that I took no offense whatsoever to what you said above. I've only been on this forum for 2 years and about 2 months. I certainly do NOT consider myself one of senior members by any stretch of the imagination. I am still very much in the learning phase and probably will remain that way for many years to come. That being said I was here approximately one year before AC got that devastating diagnosis and during that year his message was exactly the same albeit he didn't express it quite as frequently. After his diagnosis I imagine he wanted to concentrate a bit more on his legacy as any of us would in that situation. AC always emphasized the importance of training over equipment. He was definitely an advocate for quality equipment hence his tenor as moderator here on the Wilson Combat sub-forum but he felt it was a waste to purchase more than you actually need to accomplish the shooter's primary goal(s) with said weapon.

I remember a specific topic where AC stressed the importance of “a good illumination tool” (his exact words and I’ll never forget them). I had dismissed the need for a light because I live alone and reasoned that ANYONE else who was in this house besides me didn’t belong here and my plan was to shoot first and ask questions later. AC along with Highgear who is another outstanding member of this community convinced me that it’s possible the police may at some point need to force entry into my home for an emergency. I then remembered a time where that actually happened back when I lived with my mother when I was a teenager. Long story short that thread was a serious eye opener for me and shortly after that I went out and purchased two high “good illumination tools”.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
He was definitely an advocate for quality equipment hence his tenor as moderator here on the Wilson Combat sub-forum but he felt it was a waste to purchase more than you actually need to accomplish the shooter's primary goal(s) with said weapon.

.45, you hit it on the head. Truth be told, probably 99% of our pistols are a whole lot better than we are. WCR probably won't want to hear this, but he'll understand. Why do we keep spending more money on what we don't need? Answer?----cause we can afford it and WANT IT!!!!!

I remember a specific topic where AC stressed the importance of “a good illumination tool” (his exact words and I’ll never forget them).

For such a young guy, he had total command of the English language. "Illumination tool." ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!! LOL

RIP AC.

·
Registered
12,293 Posts
I really don't beleive that an apology is necessary. AC imparted a sea full of wisdom, his wise words will inevitability have different interpretations to some folks. But one things for certain, we'll be talking about AC, sharing his comments and using his posts as a reference for a long time to come.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts