1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I stumbled onto what I had been looking for (lusting after) for two years--a steel frame Ser. 70 Colt Commander in 9mm.

I was at a small gun show in Houston yesterday and was disappointed at finding the same old, same old. Then I spotted the Colt. Couldn't really believe it--stock except for the mainspring housing. The slide to frame fit was good and the barrel fit was okay. The gun seemed to be lightly shot and the guy wanted $575.

I wasn't in the mindset to buy another gun so I went home and tried to forget it. Anyway, I couldn't get it out of my mind so after a couple of hours I packed up my Steyr M9 and headed back to the show. The dealer traded the Styer plus $90 for the Colt with 2 mags. I don't know if I got a good deal, but it doesn't matter since this gun was so hard to find.

I cleaned up the Colt last night and the barrel looked fine. The trigger was crisp with no creep and broke at 4.5 lbs. A little tweaking of the sear spring brought it down to 3.5 lbs. After that I did the usual -- polished the lockworks, feedramp, underside of the slide, and the barrel throat. The extractor had zero tension, which may be why the guy thought the gun had a problem. After some minor adjustment the gun fed and ejected perfectly.

I had some parts laying around so I did some small modifications. A short adjustable Wilson trigger, ultra thin CMC wood grips, S&A magwell, a Wilson rear sight and skateboard tape on the frontstrap.

I'm off to the range this morning to see if the gun really works. I'll post a report later.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Congrats! My son has an 80 Series steel framed Commander in 9mm, completely stock, what a nice gun! Hope you love your 70 Series!! Let us know how it shoots!

------------------
DEATH TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER!

·
Registered
562 Posts
I bought a steel series 70 satin commander .45 about two months ago and I've been tinkering with it......not there yet but man this is great. Let me know how yours shoots.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since I couldn't see anything through the tiny excuse for sights, I stuck on Wilson sights while leaving the original front sight in place. Duh.... it shot more than 4 feet high @ 15 yds. Tomorrow, I'll order the front sight that works with the Wilson rear.

Otherwise, the gun functioned great. One of the original Colt mags wouldn't lock back on the last round and wouldn't drop free. The other mag also wouldn't drop free sometimes. I plan on ordering some Metalform mags.

Since the sights were so far off, I'm not sure how accurate the gun is, but I doubt it's incredibly accurate because of the sloppy barrel bushing fit. I plan to have a NM bushing fitted.

The gun fed and ejected well, although sometimes the rounds went straight back. A new extractor might fix that. The recoil was mild and the gun tracked nicely. The 9mm sure gets back on target faster than the .45. It was a pussycat to shoot compared to my .45. While I still have tweaking to do, I'm happy with the gun so far.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
If it's what you have wanted for awhile and you go it, then it was a good thing to do!

Along with a 1911 collection I had a few years back was a Colt Series '80 Government in 9mm. A limited run came into Canada and a dealer was selling them for $400 CDN (try and find one of these now!) Anyway, it was really 'tight' right out of the box and looked great (although I am not a fan of the Series '80's!) Anyway, it was a disappointment at the range. My Star Model "B", which I only paid $125 for shot circles around it! And of course, both were way behind my Browning Hi-Power 9mm. 1911's should house .45's - just my 2 cents! NAA.

------------------
Colt 1911: Best damn "Government" in the World!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NAA,

You're right about the 1911 being primarily a .45 ACP gun. That's what all my other 1911s are.

I'm having EGW make up a barrel bushing for the 9mm and we'll see what the gun will do accuracy-wise. BTW, the Hi-Power in my hands (recently sold) was much less accurate than any of my .45 ACP 1911s. Others swear by BHP's accuracy. Maybe it's partly the fit between the shooter and the gun. I liked the feel of the BHP but could never get used to the trigger, especially the long reset.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
HowardK - yeah, I know what you mean. When I had my big 1911 collection (21 pieces!) most were .45's but I started to branch out in cals too. I had a 9mm (with a .38 Super barrel, magazines and ejector - so I could convert over); a Delta Elite 10mm; and two Colt .22 Conversion Units. Even started to collect 'clones' (Auto-Ordnance - big mistake!!)) and 1911 'alikes' (ie Star Model B in 9mm). Anyway, times changed and I sold off most of my 1911's. Yeah, I said 'most'. I still have 2 .45's. One 1968 mfg pre-Series '70 Government and a 1942 mfg Colt 1911A-1 military frame that does half time with a Series '70 top end in .45 and one Colt .22 Conversion Unit I kept (goes with me to the range every time). Times have improved, too, and recently I have been getting the '1911 itch' again. I also recently acquired a 1917 manufactured Colt commercial 1911 in .45ACP. I am just waiting to take delivery in a few days. For it's age, it still shows a lot of finish. I only paid $450 CDN for it. (What's that - about $275 US or less??)Like I said in my original post, if your Commander is what you have been waiting for - then it's a good thing, right?

I find that for 9mm's the Browning Hi-Power fits my hand perfectly - and it translates downrange! The only other 9mm that really worked for me was a CZ-75 I also had a few years back. But when you have a BHP, it makes the CZ redundant! I pack a Glock 22 .40 cal almost everday for work, but I still love the Colt 1911!
Good Shooting! Regards, NAA.

------------------
Colt 1911: Best damn "Government" in the World!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts