1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
75,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pity they don't build them like THIS anymore:

It's a commercial model made in 1927. I had trouble with the lighting in the photos because the weather is really crappy at the moment. It has a few minor scratches, but all the parts are original. Anyway, for $1K I don't think I did too bad. Now, am I gonna shoot it? Hmmmmmmmm...

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 10-10-2001).]

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
N-I-C-E ! Looks like you did quite well DSK, excuse me while I go wipe the drool off of my face........

------------------
DEATH TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER!

IF IT'S NOT A COLT, IT'S JUST A COMPROMISE!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Looks very nice, especially considering the vintage! I also vote you take it to the range. Would be interested in hearing how it groups, after all these years. If I had to guess, I'd say you wouldn't want anyone shootin' at ya with it

·
Administrator
75,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I peruse the online auction sites all the time. Amazingly, nobody else bid on it. I will definitely give a mild workout at the range soon. The trigger pull is very good, and the barrel lockup and slide/frame fit is on par with a new gun. Regarding shooting old guns, I'll go on record that "virgin" guns shouldn't be fired. But ones with a few honest scratches and signs of use like this one are perfectly okay, just as long as somebody doesn't come up and look at it, then drop it or set it down on sandbag sand. OUCH!

I remember being at a range once, seeing a guy who had an old 1911 commercial (pre-'A1). While he was talking to me about it he was picking it up, then putting it down and flipping it around on the table, which was covered with sand spilled from sandbags! I almost wanted to take it away from him on the spot and place it in "protective custody".

------------------
D. Kamm

·
Registered
114 Posts
"BE-UTE-TEA-FULL!"
Way to go. The next best thing to owning one, is knowing that one is owned by someone who really appreceates what he owns.
Ok, you know what I mean!

·
Registered
853 Posts
What's amazing to me is the fact that people part with these things. Don't get me wrong, that's good for you and others who collect but why people give up such pieces of art and craftsmanship is beyond me.

I have a very early model 6" Royal Blue Python at home in a display case. It was my fathers gun. He gave it to me and it saved my life and has been on display in my den since then. It will go to my son or be buried with me. I don't care which but it is never to leave the family.

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
Hey DSK....
Respect? No, I'll take this for my prize. What a beautiful example of Colt excellence. And at a grand!!!! It's a work of art.
Regards,
Sam

·
Administrator
75,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SamColtFan-

Four words: From My Dead Hands.

Seriously, you seem to be more of an expert on commercials than I. This unit has sights I've never seen before. The front sight has a standard half-moon side profile, but it is .125" wide. The rear has a .125" square notch to match. I can see somebody filing the rear notch, but I have never seen a half-moon sight that is so wide. Care to elaborate?

------------------
D. Kamm

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
The reason people give them up is they are'nt a collector of Commercials or Military 1911s. I know dsk is more military 1911A1 oriented. So I am confused as to his choice of this weapon. It is'nt particularly rare but, valuable because of its exceptional condition. dsk you are the tops man.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Beautiful piece, Dana. For the record, my name is spelled C-a-l-l-a-h-a-n. Tell your attorney the proper spelling so he doesn't screw up your will.

You did REAL good. A grand well spent.

Callahan

·
Administrator
75,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by Redzone:
The reason people give them up is they are'nt a collector of Commercials or Military 1911s. I know dsk is more military 1911A1 oriented. So I am confused as to his choice of this weapon. It is'nt particularly rare but, valuable because of its exceptional condition. dsk you are the tops man.
Yes I prefer military guns, but a nice pre-war commercial is too nice to pass up. Besides, it's getting where I have too many militaries. The only military 'A1 I still have left to find (from what's in my price range) is a really nice '42 or earlier Colt. I think I can pretty much forget about a Singer.

------------------
D. Kamm

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
Originally posted by dsk:
SamColtFan-

Four words: From My Dead Hands.

Seriously, you seem to be more of an expert on commercials than I. This unit has sights I've never seen before. The front sight has a standard half-moon side profile, but it is .125" wide. The rear has a .125" square notch to match. I can see somebody filing the rear notch, but I have never seen a half-moon sight that is so wide. Care to elaborate?

Dsk...
That sight set-up is really interesting. The only square notched rear sights that I've seen on early Commercials are those that were re-cut after production. As far as the width of the front sight, that too is unusual to my knowledge. Do you suppose the original customer special ordered the pistol from Colt with this sight configuration? Might be worth having the Colt historian do some research on this one. Does the work look factory original?

Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
154 Posts
WOW! That is a BEAUTIFUL gun.Funny how we always come home.That original is nicer and cleaner looking than any new Colt I've seen.You're my hero dsk.LOL

It'd be nice to learn how to spot original parts so I might search for one of my own someday.Wonder if there's a book on the subject?

Enjoy,Byron

·
Registered
865 Posts
Nice gun, dsk! Now you just need to send it out for some work. How about high cut grip, low mount Bomar's, beavertail and checkered front strap?

Enjoy that Colt and treat it to an occasional range session and afterwards a bath in the finest Hoppes and good gun oil.

And remember, if you get tired of it, I'm located just a few miles down I-5!

·
Registered
332 Posts
is that you, my long last daddy? words cannot describe how sexy that gun is. i realize that you may want to preserve it, but it looks hungry for some hardball! FEED THAT GORGEOUS LADY....FEED HER!!!
sorry, i got kinda amped just looking at it. i must go now.

------------------
Nothing like to smell of Breakfree to make my day complete.

·
Administrator
75,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay guys, that DOES it.

Look for a range report tomorrow, bloody thumb web and all.

------------------
D. Kamm

1 - 20 of 22 Posts