1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way back from Costco today, I thought I would drop by the local gun shop just to see what was new and hope they had a new roll marked 1991 in. I didn't see any new Colts but while looking over the used pistol section, a familiar shaped piece of blued steel caught my eye. It had Pachmeyer grips on it and I thought maybe it was a 70 series trade in. On closer examination, I noticed that it was a pre-70 series Government Model.

I asked to look at it and then I knew I was in trouble. The mental calculations of how much in the checkbook, what to tell the wife, etc.

It is a Blued Government Model made in 1966 with an overall condition of 90%. The mechanicals were perfect and it appears to have been shot little. Other than the grips, everything is stock.

After looking at 70 series Government Models in similar condition for over $750.00 at the latest gunshow, the $500.00 price tag seemed reasonable. I couldn't resist so it is now mine! Good thing I have a large safe.

Looks like when I get my LW Commander back from Dane Burns it will now have a big brother!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Paraman,

I'm having Dane re-do mainly the slide while leaving the frame pretty much alone since it was in very good condition.

The slide will have the top hand matted with a French boarder, Heinie Straight Eight sights, a Bar-sto barrel fitted and a carry bevel. It will have the rear of the slide serrated and then be re-blued.

Dane will also fit a BCP ignition system and Videcki trigger, extended thumb safety and re-contoured Government Model grip safety.

·
Registered
93 Posts
when finished, post pics!!!

------------------
Bart Lanzillotti
please excuse my spelling...

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, I can't post any pictures. I'm doing good to just turn the computer on. I havn't tried anything as ambitious as digital cameras yet.

I know I need to buy one and give it a try though. I have lots of time to learn as I just dropped off my Commander to Dane last month, so by the time it's done maybe I'll have this digital stuff figured out.

·
Administrator
73,384 Posts
Originally posted by Cactus:
I thought I would drop by the local gun shop just to see what was new and hope they had a new roll marked 1991 in. I didn't see any new Colts but while looking over the used pistol section, a familiar shaped piece of blued steel caught my eye. It had Pachmeyer grips on it and I thought maybe it was a 70 series trade in. On closer examination, I noticed that it was a pre-70 series Government Model.

I asked to look at it and then I knew I was in trouble. The mental calculations of how much in the checkbook, what to tell the wife, etc.
Gawd, you remind me of me! Same thing, I'll drop by a local gun shop just to snoop, when looking at the glass case through all the other patrons in the store suddenly the familiar shape of an older 1911 emerges. One quick look, and I suddenly realize it might be what I'm after. After taking what seems like hours to get the clerk's attention, I look it over and suddenly realize I have to have it. Then the thought process kicks in. How much left in the back account? How close to payday? What outstanding bills do I have? How long can I go without eating?

Damn John Moses Browning! If it wasn't for him I'd be a rich man by now.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 10-21-2001).]

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
On the way from Costco, eh?

What gun store was this that you went to?

------------------
"Be not afraid of any man, no matter what his size;

When trouble rises, call on me and I will equalize."

·
Banned
5,947 Posts
Hey dsk...
The problem is when you see a 1911 at the local shop they just reach out to you like orphans. The libs always tell us we should "Do it for the children." So, when I see those 1911 orphans I do my very best to give them a home and take care of them as best I can. I feel great about taking care of the kids.

Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Powderman,

It was Welcher's on 64th St. and Pacific Av. in Tacoma.

dsk, it must be a sickness! Can really get expensive, huh?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts