1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just ordered a Stainless TRP, and although I'm an experienced shooter and handloader, this is my first 1911... so I'm a real greenhorn regarding the care and feeding of these things.

I've got lots of questions -- basic stuff, like lubricating the slide rails, bushing, etc. Is there a good web-site with instructions for dis-assembly / re-assembly ?

Also, I'm super-curious about the ILS -- ignore it, use it, remove it ?

Finally, I like to practice with mid-range loads, but I also like to shoot some hot-stuff occasionally. I haven't found any +P loads for the .45 ACP... any tips, here ?

I would appreciate comments, tips, advice, etc.

Thanks -- CC

[This message has been edited by Capt_C (edited 11-01-2001).]

·
Registered
31 Posts
yo I got mine last spring but dammit haven't got to the range to shoot it yet. I bought it because the slide/frame fit is superb and silky smooth. The only thing that bugs me is the 20 lpi it's too chafing for casual handling though i'm expecting a pachmayr finger groove insert (no i don't get concealed carry in this state)

The most important additions are black micarta or ebony grips (they look alot cooler) and 3 or 4 wilson mags. The trigger is heavier, but this gun may be more useful as an "unmodified" trigger to avoid lawsuits if used in a shooting. Many folks it seems are having their triggers lightened.

If you do buy any kind of new grip make sure it's for the ambi safetied 1911. Lasergrips would be cool....

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I like mine so well that I plan on purchasing another with the black finish soon. SA manual will (I think) tell you most of what you need to know about disassembly and care of your 1911. I can take the ILS or leave it. I kind of like the checkered mainspring housing, but don't care about the locking system, although I can't say its effected any of my guns yet.

·
Registered
183 Posts
CC-

In regard to the ILS:

The lock is so small, it's easy to just ignore it if you want to. That's what I do.
Actually, I kind of forgot it was there until I read the owners manual.
The ILS has not affected the operation of my gun so far.
Why not just use your gun for a while, and make the decision to replace down the road if the lock bothers you?

DaveG

·
Registered
661 Posts
I have one with it and one without it. Don't feel any difference between the two. If it doesn't bother you, then just forget about it.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Boy...where have I been?

Ok...TWIMC...all the 1911 info you want can be had by doing a search right here. Just use the feature and put in the terms you need info on. If I haven't then someone else has posted links for just about EVERYTHING!
Have fun and welcome to the forum.

ps...If you really wanna' surf, check the "links" tab and go fer broke...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

!!!Molon Labe'!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts