1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been contemplating buying a TRS for about 3 years now. I like my SA and I got a good deal on it at that time. Finally, I decided to make the move, sold the SA 1911 and will soon be the proud owner of a TRS. I read all these posts about happy Les Baer's owners and couldn't resist any longer. I found that SportingArms.com had this model available and ordered from them. My CCW showed up in the mail last week and I will be getting a Mill Sparks Summer Special 2 in horse-hide to carry my new baby around.

Mill Sparks can't get the holster before 10-16 weeks, so I am also looking for a temporary holster (preferably leather and cheaper) as an alternative and backup when going to the range. Any suggestion that would not destroy the finish of the frame like these models made of hard material?

I remember reading a while back on how to break a new barrel, by shooting 1 round and using breakfree to clean the barrel then repeating 10 times and never doing it from the muzzle side. I just want to confirm that I will be doing the right thing on my new purchase. If anybody wants to comment on that, please feel free.

What ammo do you guys use? 230g Winchester from Wallmart is what I used to shot with my SA 1911. Is this ok?

In terms of enhancements, what are the most wanted ones? Lighter trigger would be nice but I don't know what place would do that. Is it easy to find wooden finish grips vs. the black ones that come with TRS? I heard about some bushing issues and since I am planning to take the gun apart for oiling and maintenance, what sort of problems am I facing by doing so? Do I need better tools than the wilson combat bushing remover I bought for the SA?

Thanks for all your suggestions.

·
Registered
106 Posts
http://www.lightningarms.com/ Lightning arms. Phone: 503.643.8198 carries a ton of milt sparks stuff. they are awsome people. i get all my holsters from them. check out the versa max 2, that thing is amazing.

i break in my barrel by shooting the piss out of it. Les says you shouldnt even take the gun apart before 500-700 rounds. The winchester ammo is fine. Just try to stay away from steel cased ammo (wolf) or any other corrosive stuff. I find winclean to jam but it shoots fine. PMC, UMC, Winchester, Federal they are all ok.

In terms of enhancements, get yourself some cobra mags or wilson mags (cobra mags are made by tripp), some new grips if you want it, and just shoot it. You are spending 2k on a gun, why are you going to start messing with the harmonics? shoot it and carry it and enjoy it. You can send the gun to a smith if you want to clean up the trigger a little but its not necessary. you don't want it too light if its going to be your daily carry.

if you really want to customize the gun, just find yourself a great smith (you can find one on the forums) and research parts (triggers, barrels, bushings, all internals and externals) and have him build it for you. Don't rush into anything. I just picked up a TRS yesterday, as a matter of fact. It is an amazing gun. It is a real workhorse. I also have a custom 1911 built to my specs, but it is a different gun. I shoot it occasionally and pet it. As for my carry, it is only a TRS or a stinger. Personally, my trigger was cleaned up, but thats it.

the King's bushing wrench is fine, but the wilson you have will also be fine.

·
Registered
547 Posts
nextstepguy said:
I remember reading a while back on how to break a new barrel, by shooting 1 round and using breakfree to clean the barrel then repeating 10 times and never doing it from the muzzle side. I just want to confirm that I will be doing the right thing on my new purchase. If anybody wants to comment on that, please feel free.

What ammo do you guys use? 230g Winchester from Wallmart is what I used to shot with my SA 1911. Is this ok?

In terms of enhancements, what are the most wanted ones? Lighter trigger would be nice but I don't know what place would do that. Is it easy to find wooden finish grips vs. the black ones that come with TRS? I heard about some bushing issues and since I am planning to take the gun apart for oiling and maintenance, what sort of problems am I facing by doing so? Do I need better tools than the wilson combat bushing remover I bought for the SA?

Thanks for all your suggestions.
I recently picked up a new TRS #TRS 26XX. Initial time out, I put a dry patch through the bore, put a drop of oil down each slide rail, barrel hood and where the barrel makes contact with the bushing. I shot 150 rounds of 230 grain American Eagle FMJs' and put a drop of oil to each of those areas again and shot another 100 rounds. Bushing was relatively easy to turn even after just 250 rounds but was "impossible" to pull out. After 250 more rounds I got the bushing out by merely pushing on the barrel making sure not to let the barrel link bang against the slide. I used my Kings polymer bushing wrench.

"Breaking in" a barrel like the way you described is unnecesary for a handgun. I heard people who have accurized rifles do it but I've never heard anyone bothering to do that for a handgun.

Shoot it, enjoy, and give it reasonable care. Baers don't need to be coddled.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
I agree with Ian111 about not worrying to much about the breaking-in of a pistol barrel.

My PII w/1½" was broken in with 200 rounds of WWB and 800 rounds of my own lead reloads. I cleaned it after 400 rounds (don't tell Les), completely detail stripping the gun. I just couldn't help it, I had to see what was inside. I cleaned every part, and put some McCormick Trigger Slick on the hammer hooks and sear. Now my trigger pull is down to 3lb 10oz - started at 4lb 7oz.

So I'd suggest to shoot a couple hundred rounds of jacketed to smooth out any tiny little manufacturing roughness, do a light cleaning of the barrel, and then shoot the heck out of it with lead (or jacketed if you prefer).

Just my 2¢

·
Registered
6 Posts
Congrats on the new TRS!

I will be picking up my TRS Fri :rock: (stock, non 1 1/2" opt)

I am going to get to the range as soon as possible Sat, and run 500 rds through it, run patch through boar wipe it down, put few drops lube on it and run 500 more rounds though it on sunday by then it should be somewhat settled in to go for some accuracy.

At that point will disassemble compleately, clean, and head back to the range nexed Fri with another 250 rds and see what I am capable of with it as far as accuracy and I know it will be far more accurate than I am capable of with my old eyes.

I mostly shoot for fun and do shoot some IPSIC now and then. Our club here in Northern IL is very big on IPSIC, we have weekly club matches all year long and few sanction matches for points. We have 3 indoor ranges that we can set up 3 diffrent stages at one time, it is very cool.

I have had few diff 1911's and the TRS has a great feel and fit to me, which is where I think a great shooting hand gun needs to start. You can go from there with little tweeks to personalize it as you wish.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Congrats!

Congrats on your new TRS! You're going to love it, of course. As far as your holster check out Top Gun Supply. I went there getting the link for you and they have Blk RH for 1 1/2" belt loops on sale for 79 bucks with shipping! Check it out....

http://www.topgunsupply.com/e-commerce-solutions-catalog1.0.html.0.html

Pics of your new baby would be nice too!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info

Hi guys,

Really appreciate all the replies and just got my VM2 shipped yesterday from topgun (Thanks for the link!) Prices are a little bit higher than from the manufacturer web site, but at least I won't have to wait for 16 weeks. I had in mind to get the SS2 but when I saw the VM2, I felt in love. This is what I was looking for to carry my new TRS.

As for the maintenance, thanks for the inputs. I was not aware of the differences between snipper barrels and gun barrels. I guess it's easier to own the latter. I read in the Wilson Combat maintenance guide about lubrication of the slide. I am not sure if I need to do that on a new gun direct from factory.

I'll probably shot only FMJ at the ranges and plan to keep it loaded with this. The TRS comes with 3 mags which is really awsome. I checked the Wilson Combat mags and what do you guys like the best? Thin based models seem to be made of steel and aluminium model should be lighter right? What is the best model (I probably will go 8 rounds because I like the bottom extension look too.)

I will get the grips first, because I like the wood look (it is a lot about look.)
Maybe the magwell and the trigger later when I am getting familiar with the gun.

I'll be counting days until I get the call from my local FFL shop and will post some pics of my new acquisition.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
My Blade Tech kydex holster ate up my P-II's beautiful blued finish quicker than Rosie O'Donnell and a box of twinkies! The holster is excellent for speed and security (for a gaming holster) but it is definitely not blue-gun-friendly. :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
VM2 and LB TRS fit

Well, I picked up my TRS last evening and it looks good. It was soaking into oil and I had to clean up the frame just to be able to handle it. It's really hard to move the slide and I hope that it will get better by shooting the gun. One thing about the VM2. It fits too snug and I can't get the gun out unless I pry with my two hands and put the holster between my legs! How do you make the holster fit the gun? Thanks!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I had the same issue with my VMII, but its a good thing. Do not try to stretch the leather on your own like trying to pry at the opening or something, you may loosen it too much. If you go to www.miltsparks.com and go to their questions section they have your question and answer right there; My holster is too tight! What's the best way to break it in?.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
The holster will eventually break in. But one quick way is to put the gun in the bag the holster came in (make sure gun is unloaded), and put it in the holster w. gun in wrapper. Leave it overnight or for a day, up to you...

Or... you can just carry it around the house too... i'tll wear in.

Nice choices!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks

I did a bit of finger massaging (no prying) and put it in the bag for a few hours. Now it's ok. Still snug but at least it comes out. I was very surprised at first and thought it was the wrong size. But things are better now. Thanks for the pointers. I just came back from the range and shot my first 200 rounds. Wow! I had a blast and the gun feels more accurate than I will ever be able to be myself. I ran some FP10 down the barrel with a patch every 10/20 rounds and did a minor clean up when I got back home. I know that it still a bit early for that, but I heard some horror stories about disassembling the gun (bushing barrel being almost impossible to remove) so I guess I'll be back writing at a later time... Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts