1911Forum banner

New type of Bo-Mar sight cut

1328 7
This is an idea I've been mulling over for a while. If it's possible and not overly expensive I'm thinking of having this done for the "homemade STI Edge" I've posted about recently. It seems that it would require some different milling operations and would be more complicated than the usual type. Also, you'd have to trim the sides of the sight blade to allow it to adjust side-to-side inside its little "box". To anyone with milling/smithing experience, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

Oh, and I'm sure the first question on a lot of folks minds is "why?". Basically it is just a matter of cosmetics. I like the setup on the Springfield TRP Operator:

I also like the partially hidden rear sight leaf on the two guns shown here:

So when you combine them it's something like this:

[This message has been edited by hhsmiley (edited 09-29-2001).]
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was saying. If you take the sight and adjust the windage and move the blade all the way to one side, then trim that "sticking out" side till it's flush and then repeat for the other side it narrow the blade and would allow the sight to be windage adjusted. I tried this on an old set of Bo-mars I had laying around and it seems viable, maybe.

· Registered
28 Posts
hhsmiley, do you have specs on the bomar? I have a few ideas i'd like to interject myself. Such as a more snag free (triangular) profile on the movable sight base is, where the sight tabs come out (sorry I don't know the name of them) Such as that of a pair of Wilson Snag free low progile sights. If you have some specifics on the bomar, like overall height and specs on the sight mount cut I would like to play with it. I am not a machinist, but I like to tinker with new ideas. All for now!

------------------
You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get
yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days
is to go about repeating the very phrases which our
founding fathers used in the struggle for independence.

· Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey there fellow New 1911 Addict! I really don't have anything as technical as you requested. Check out www.egw-guns.com (go to what's new, new products, Race Profile) to see a picture of what I think you're talking about.

Here's a couple of pics which hopefully show what I mean about the sight blade. I've had a set of Bo-Mars on my Kimber polymer and haven't touched them since I first sighted in. I don't think you would have to windage adjust them more than trimming them like this would allow.

· Registered
28 Posts
Hey there, I went to the site as per say. That is not quite what I was refering to. I was refferring to elonggating it. From rear of the site to the front. As soon as I can figure out how to post pictures I will post what a picture of what I am talking about. I don't see anyway how you can adjust windage on them funky things. Talk soon!

· Registered
610 Posts
Smiley
What you are asking for is feasible. Like you said you would only be able to adjust within the window you created. If interested I can probably do it for you, any good smith could also do this for you. It should not be any more difficult than doing a regular melted Bo-mar. The front part of the captured box would probably take a very small mill bit to get a tight corner radius but should not be a problem.

------------------
Chris from va

· Registered
1,516 Posts
hhsmiley, Actually, this is the method commonly used to mount Bo-Mars to a Hi-Power. Because the Hi-Power hammer extends farther up on to the back of the slide, it's normally positioned so that the Bo-Mar leaf is resting in what used to be the old Browning sight dovetail (properly enlarged of course). In order to get sufficient windage movement, you might need to have the "box" cut that accomodates the body of the sight somewhat wider than is normal, but that shouldn't be a problem.

------------------
Don Williams www.theactionworks.com www.pickagripcom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.