1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOW, wow, wow....that about sums it up. Had a great day at the range today. Bought the SA Stainless Lightweight Ultra Compact 9mm Loaded today and took it to the range. 100% right out of the box. What a great shooting small sized, lightweight gun.

Came with wood grips that had stainless size T-15 star grip screws instead of the rubber finger groove grips that are shown on the web page (although I did put the Hogue finger groove grips on it tonight).

Shot about 200 rounds through it using Winchester, PMC, Blazer and some hollow point and had NO malfunctions.

This is a GREAT little 9mm. I may have to purchase a second one to keep in my safe or to "customize" if that's possible.

Only thing I'll do to this one is add an ambi safety since most of the time I shoot left-handed. Also have to contact SA about some additional mags. I don't think the ones in the "coupon" are for this model gun.

This must be a new model because my "coupon" doesn't expire until December 2001 (unlike the coupons in my V16 and ex-fullsize 9mm that expired in April 2001).

Booklet doesn't recommend using +P ammo but I've got other 9mms that can shoot +P+ so what the heck. This one's a keeper!!

[This message has been edited by QB (edited 08-26-2001).]

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I e-mailed Springfield earlier this year about that model. I was told that it was a new offering and would be available Spring of '01. They also said mags would be available through them. Any chance an Officer's 9mm mag would work?

I had the UC in .45 and felt it had WAY too much muzzle flip for my taste. The 9mm version seems like the perfect warm weather carry gun though and it's definitely on my short list of "next purchases."

Glad to finally read a review of it! Also nice to see the additional touches you mention with grip screws etc. This DOES come with nighsights, doesn't it?

Mac

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This one came with Novak sights -- black rear/black front. The model number off the case is PX9505L. I don't know if you can get one with nightsights or not. I'm going to the range take it to the range again today, or....I may just go pick up that "second" one I mentioned last night!! I have had a couple of .45s in the ultra compact size and I really liked the "size" but not necessarily in the .45 caliber. The 9mm ultra compact is a FINE combination and absolutely just too fun!!!!

I am ordering some more mags today from SA. I think that the officer size 9mm mags would work although I couldn't find any at the gun show yesterday.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Officers size 9mm mags would definitely work, if they existed. Ive been looking for Officer size 9mm mags for a year so I could build a 9mm Officers model and could never find any. My only option was to cut my full size colt mags.

And then my FFL called me about the SA Ultra Compact 9mm. I bought it immediately after it was scanned into their inventory off the Brown truck. The gun runs great and is considerably more accurate than I am.

The gun hasnt jammed yet. Quite a relief after my last SA experience.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guess I'll get the extra mags from SA.

So far my slide locks back with both the factory mags. Barrel lockup is tight with no problems surfacing after the second day at the range. I now have 400 rounds through it and am going to leave it with the smith in 1 week for the ambi safety (researching the brand of ambi to purchase).

I am going to purchase a second LW ultra the end of September, no doubt about it!!

This gun was also a "relief" to me since the fullsize that I posted about had a tight/short chamber and was an out-of-the- box disaster. I held my breath when I took my ultra compact to the range yesterday but thankfully it was flawless.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hey I looking to get one of the UC 9mm's want to get rid of my Kimber Pro-Carry SLE. I have a Loaded 9mm right now and love it had to polish the feed ramp but it will even feed empty cases no. If any of want to let one of yours go I'm open to deal.

Let me know,

Mike

------------------
Be safe and have fun,

Mike

[This message has been edited by Myates (edited 08-26-2001).]

·
Registered
305 Posts
Almost two years later, let me revive this topic instead of starting a new one.

Are the owners of this model still happy with it? Still performing flawlessly? I just stumbled across it and I must say it looks interesting.

I've got a .45 Para C7.45 LDA "Companion", and am thinking of one of these, since it'll fit the same holster (? - I think - it is an Officer's-size gun, right?), and eats the much-cheaper 9mm.

The "Ultra-Compact" designation has me a little off though; Can anyone verify that it is indeed Officer's size, even in the grip? I've got fairly big hands, and don't want to get into "2 finger grip" territory. Can anyone give me actual height and width measurements? They're not on Springfield's site.

Thanks in advance,

-- PG

·
Registered
540 Posts
Now I'm Jealous!

It uses Officer 9mm mags.

I'm going to pick up my SA UC 9mm on Monday so you guys have me chopping at the bit.

Did you order those mags from SA?

I was thinking about a group purchase since Metalform sells them for about $15 each for 10 or more.

I can only use about 4 mags.

But SA appears to have some good results with their "new" mags. Is that true?

may just bite the bullet and order a pair of 8-round SS 9mm mags directly from SA.

They say that other mag manufacturers also make their 9mm mags.

Do we know anybody else?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts