1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just purchased a rem. rand and it appears to be in perfect condition. I have disassembled it and cleaned it thoroughly... my first 6 rounds ejected erratically (off to side, back at me etc.) and each one had a small dent in spent case. I ordered a new recoil spring on line ( J and D Company progressive spring) and I am experiencing the same problem... I thoroughly cleaned origional mag. and the ammo i am using appears to be origional gov. issue which i got with it. Does anyone have some solutions or advice to give me?

·
Registered
429 Posts
don't listen to me cuz I usually have no clue what I'm talking about but it could be the extractor clocking, the extractor not being properly tensioned/positioned, or the ejector being too short. but like I said, I'm an FNG at smithing. Just my humble 2 cents

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Checking/adjusting extractor tension is a good start, but, the rest of the usual solutions are not to be undertaken lightly with a genuine matched Remington Rand frame/slide pistol combo, as replacing or filing on any parts, even an ejector, should likely not be done, potentially quickly lowering the pistol's value.

Not all WW2 pistols were known for perfect ejection of pristine brass in a 1 foot diameter pile 3 feet to the right!

·
Banned
2,944 Posts
What year is your Remington Rand from, if you are planning on using it as a shooter, I wouldn't. They are getting rarer and rarer in ORIGINAL condition. If you are just out to shoot it a few times then by all means go ahead. The reason I asked the year is that until 1944 the heat treat process wasn't so great and they were prone to cracking, not saying it definitely will but it is not uncommon.

If you were looking for a shooter USGI, RIA ($379) and the Springfield GI ($550) are great examples with modern heat treat that if something did happen you could get fixed. The USGI's are just too hard to come by as original and unbubbafied.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
What Caspian17 said. A Remington Rand is far to rare and collectable to make into a shooter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys

my second attempt to reply so pardon me if this is duplicated, i'm a klutz on computers... as i was saying, my thanks to all for the quick and enthusiastic replies to my plea for help... i paid 600$ for my rand last week with orig. holster and 250 rds. of what appears to be ammo from that era. I was beginning to feel some buyer's remorse till i heard back from u guys...thanks for pushing that out of my thoughts. i also have a SA 1911 45 which i have had for 2 yrs. . Speaking of "hugging your 45 today" i have to confess that being single and alone in the country, i get home from work and get my 45s out from their hiding place and place them on the coffee table and fondle them every hour or so,,, am i crazy? and if i am, can i count on you guys to play along? lol my rand is new to me and of course it will stay origional and i do want to shoot it safely on occasion.. i don't know how to tension an extractor and i can live with the erratic ejects if it doesn't indicate any thing wrong with the gun. no one mentioned my J and D co. progressive recoil spring and if it is an acceptable spring replacement... Are shock buffs a good idea? i shot 14 rds. yesterday and was very pleased with the accuracy. My rand serial no is 10179XX and appears to have a type 2 slide.. i intend to meet the daugher of the vet that carried this fine weapon in WW2 and get to know it's campaign history..needless to say , i am excited about that... if anyone is interested , i will attempt to post a photo of this wonderful rand. thanks again.

·
Premium Member
15,719 Posts
$600? If it has its original finish at a high percentage, it could be worth 3X that. Also, if you have WWII ammo, be advised that it may be corrosive and will rust the barrel out if not washed with soap and water after firing, then oiled. If you're going to fire it, at least use modern ammo. I would put the original spring back in it too as long as its in good condition. In case it came with the holster, don't store a pistol in a leather holster.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks saxman

thanks for the advice on the ammo... it makes sense that the old stuff would be corrosive compared to modern. i will definately keep the bore in perfect condition... when i first got the rand it took lots of brushing and swabbing to get it clean... when i finished, it was in perfect condition.... shiney and no blemishes whatsoever.. i noticed that the rifle lands are shallow compared to other pistols.... is that typical for 45s?

·
Banned
2,944 Posts
That is correct, if it #'s matching though, please retire the old girl and buy a cheap 1911, Rock Island Armory ($379) or a Springfield Armory GI ($550), if your serial # on the Rand is pre 1944 the heat treat was not really good and could potentially crack just forward of the dustcover on the slide. The gun would be worthless then. Please Please consider retiring the old weapon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts