1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. boys (and girls if there's any out there), there's a new 1911 virgin in town.

After carrying and shooting only my H&K USP9mm (and other 9s), I had the opportunity to fire one friend's Kimber and another friend's Colt and I fell in love with 1911s forever. I spent a good deal of time reading and shopping both locally and on the web and read every post in this forum, and I settled on a "loaded" Springfield PX9151L (5", stainless, fixed sight). I should have it here within a day or two. I paid $609 including shipping.

1) Did I do O.K.? Good gun, good company, good customer service....right?

2)I know to clean and lube prior to shooting, but do I use anything special other than nitro solvent and my regular Hoppe's oil?
Gunscrubber for instance? Any other pre-shooting preparations recommended?

3) 230gr hardball to break it in, right? What manufacturer? For an inexpensive ammo, I've had very good luck with MagTech 9s in my H&K. I've also heard good things about Fiocchi and some good things about S&B. How about for a match grade ammo? I don't reload yet, but may soon start.

4) You guys seem to argue more about magazines than any other topic (other than the Springfield MSH lock). Are the Chip Wilson power mags the ones to buy? Are the 10s any good, or should I stick to 7s & 8s? Who makes the Springfields? (I know, Gyp_C, that I'm to send any of these dirty, no good SA mags directly to you to avoid messing up my garage).

5) I also know that Gyp_C will instruct me to "shoot the crap oughta this bad boy". I will do this and report back, but I'm virtually sure that the SA will be a better shot than I am.

6) The 1911 Forum has been like an encyclopedia for me, thanks to all.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
uuuuhhh.....

...Welcome to the forum!

...and the world of 1911s...uuuhhh

...bye

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Congrats on your purchase Bayrat
Ive had mine for maybe 3 months now and they are great for the money. Godd rule of thumb with break in period (for me at least) is to use good ammo and to put around 500-800 rounds through it. For ammo, I used Speer 230 GR FMJ and S&B 230 GR FMJ. Initially, I had probs with my factory mags, so I switched to Wilson 8 rd mags and havent had any probs after that. As to cleaning the gun, I use pro-shot oil for lube and break free for cleaning. As far as accuracy and reliability, its on par with my Kimber Gold Match, so that says a lot (about a $400 diff in price with same results). Good luck with your new purchase.

-bufford5

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Good to have you here. Like bufford, I think SA's are an incredible value compared to just about anything else in the 1911 family. I've never had a Springfield, but that will be changing very soon; I'm getting a parkerized Super Compact next month. Good luck with the gun. Be sure to report any troubles; there's a lot of savvy members here that can help.

·
Registered
68 Posts
That price isn't too bad. You might have gotten it for 30 bucks less at the most from my searches. I bought my PX9608L for 499.00 plus 25.00 shipping a week ago. I think you will like your Springy very much

------------------
45ACP
big lead hurts worse

·
Registered
562 Posts
Bayrat I also had the H&K's and the Sigs and one day I shot my first .45 and Man was I in TROUBLE. After a Spring PX9151 SS fullsize Loaded model, a Colt C.C.O .45 a Para Ordnance P-12 SS Limited and a P-13 Duotone I finally have calmed down ...a little. The Springfield Arms Loaded model is a fine pistol and mine has never missed a beat. I just started reloading for the .45 and it just gobbles those 200 gr. SWC right up!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Congrats Bayrat and welcome to the forum!

Lots o' good advice above..

Following is my 2¢:

Hardball is good to break it in with - S&B and Fiocchi are a good price and work well. If you are inclined to use hollowpoints for a defense load, I'd shoot them after break-in to confirm that they feed 100%. If you have any feed problems, it's often a mag issue, or a ramp that isn't polished completely.

Mags- I'd stick with the 7 or 8 rounders to start with - I don't like the 10 rounders hanging out the bottom. Many feel the 7 round Wilson are the most reliable, but I've had equal success with with Wilson 7 or 8's, and Chip McCormick's standard 8 round or Powermags. Go ahead and buy one of each to keep everyone happy
(jus kiddin...)

And BTW - if your SA mags work fine, send those extra Wilsons or McCormick's to me - not gyp_c

Enjoy your Springfield!

JSP

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Allright JSP...offerin' to help keep everyones range bag clean is a noble endeavor...To pay pennance...report to the range and fire 300 rds...

That'll teach ya'...

(whippersnap)...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Bayrat

Good choice of guns.

The guys above are right about the break in period of the 1911. Mine took about 200 rds.

Shot Magtech 45 ammo in an idpa match last Saturday. The gun, mags(2 wilsons,1 colt,2 sa) and ammo worked fine.

I think your going to like your "loaded"

good luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by 45ACP_freak:
That price isn't too bad. You might have gotten it for 30 bucks less at the most from my searches. I bought my PX9608L for 499.00 plus 25.00 shipping a week ago. I think you will like your Springy very much
Maybe I should've said that along with the NIB gun came the normal 2 stainless SA mags, and also included were 2 stainless 10s, 3 blue 7s, and a Springfield nylon holster, all for the $609. I'm not sure of the manufacturer of the extra mags, but I figure that if I don't like them, either gyp_c or JSP will be happy!

It's Monday the 16th and the gun isn't here from CA yet.
I'm getting pretty yancy.

GREAT range report 45ACP_freak!! I'm jealous as hell.

[This message has been edited by Bayrat (edited 04-17-2001).]

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Bayrat, you might try some Aguila 230fmj if you get the chance, it might be a tad more money then the Fiocchi, but I think it burns a little cleaner, the Aguila is one of the only ones that my Kimber will shoot without fail, and I've been shooting it in my Springfield Champion and it works great. I haven't had any problems with my Springfield mags so far, I have a couple of Mec-Gar, and wilson 47d's that I haven't tried yet. Your going to have to kind of hurry on that Springfield coupon cause it expires the 30th of April, I'm mailing mine in tonight! I'm sure your going to love your Springfield, you made a "very good purchase"!

Regards SonnyD

·
Registered
281 Posts
Greetings,

You can't be a "new virgin." Think about it. In fact, sorry to tell you, but you're not a virgin at all anymore

Still, life goes on. Tiny bits of grease work wonders in places where metal contacts metal. Search through links for sites with more maintenance info.

Regards.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Clean it, lube it, shoot the hell out of it--500-1,000 to break it in. After it's broken in well, run at least 50 rounds of your defense ammo through to make sure it feeds properly.

Good, gun, good choice, etc. Congrats.

Any ammo will do. CCI Blazer is probably the cheapest ($8.99 for a box of 50 at Acadamey). Fiocchi is good stuff, too. Eric the ammoman has great prices (www.ammoman.com). If you shoot with any regularity, you will probably want to reload since .45acp is so damn expensive.

CMC and Wilson mags are great. I've never had any problems with my SA mags.

Congrats. Have fun!

Billy Ray

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Love that MAG-TECH!!!

...of course...feel free to mail me any of those no-good mags to clean up your bench space and range bags

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wednesday the 18th and, due to somebody's mail screw-up, my dealer's FFL just got to California....sigh.
I'm sure that means Monday before my SA gets here.

I'm into my second case of MagTech 9mm in my H&K USP and I'm still waiting for my first failure of any kind! Trouble is that it's not available around here except for gun shows and we're not due for a show until June. Ammoman.com doesn't carry it in .45ACP. Anyone know another internet source?

How's Speer Lawman 230g FMJ for break in?

Gyp_C, I'm confused...didn't you volunteer my unwanted mags to JSP?? Something to do with pennance??

[This message has been edited by Bayrat (edited 04-18-2001).]

·
Registered
281 Posts
col132, the answer is "probably."

You could be a young virgin, an old virgin, or a non-virgin, but I don't see how you can be a "new" virgin. Maybe if you just found out about a new gun you hadn't gotten yet

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by Ledbetter:
col132, the answer is "probably."

You could be a young virgin, an old virgin, or a non-virgin, but I don't see how you can be a "new" virgin. Maybe if you just found out about a new gun you hadn't gotten yet
I just KNOW I'm going to be sorry for getting into a semantics discussion with a lawyer
but here goes...

(and I can't WAIT to see what forum the poor admin's gonna move THIS discussion to)

What happened in my original post was probably one of the most common problems in English, a misplaced modifier. What I said was, "...there's a new 1911 virgin in town."

What I SHOULD'VE said was, "...there's a person who's virgin to 1911s who's new in town." (Hey, waitaminnit...does that mean that I'm an individual who's never had sex with a 1911? Actually...that's probably not true in the strictest sense, because when I fired my one friend's Kimber and my other friend's Colt....it SURE felt like sex!)

New virgin...hmmmmmmm

Ledbetter, can I convince you that when Madonna was born, that she was a "new virgin", and when Bill Clinton was born, that he was a "new virgin"? Hell, if we take old Bill's current definition of sex, then we're probably ALL virgins! And...if our Commander in Chief's definition is a new one, and we weren't virgins before that definition, then wouldn't we be....."new virgins"?

Here's some links...
http://jokes2go.com/jokes/8250.html
http://www.comedyshow.com/scripts/jokes/JokeDetail.cfm?JokeID=173 http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a4_208.html

[This message has been edited by Bayrat (edited 04-19-2001).]

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
...just told 'im to "pay pennance"...he just wants Wilsons and CMC...I'll take any damn thing...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts