1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been eyeing a new release Delta Elite at the local fun shop and am new to the Colt scene all together. However, 1911's and 10mm are nothing new.

Anyhow, I've heard Colt's QC has slipped in the past few years, but is on the rebound. Would one be better served to buy a new DE (2009) or an old model (1989). The '89 is used.

Thanks.

·
Administrator
74,040 Posts
I'd get the new one. First off, Colt's QC is much better on average these days than it was in the late 80's to mid 90's. And second, if all else fails the new one has a warranty and the used one doesn't.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd get the new one. First off, Colt's QC is much better on average these days than it was in the late 80's to mid 90's. And second, if all else fails the new one has a warranty and the used one doesn't.
I was thinking the same thing. Warranty is a big deal to me, especially on new firearms.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
And, of course, just to offer another opinion....I have an old blue, an old stainless Delta, and a Match 10. All are quite nice, especially the Match....the blue on that one is like Royal Blue, even though it just standard blueing.

Then, the other day, I was looking at a new Delta and a new Combat Elite and was struck at how nicely they were put together.

I would really suggest to you to not get so hung up on.....

Anyhow, I've heard Colt's QC has slipped in the past few years, but is on the rebound.
......it's not as bad as the internet would have you believe. ALL manufacturers have there lemons. With any firearm, I like to see what I buy, so don't do online sales, except a couple times.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I try not to get hung up on it, but if it's still an issue I want to know about it.

I think having a new one would help me to sleep better at night, knowing it hadn't been blasted up with a ton of HOT loads.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Wiskey, you just answered your own question. New, definitely not beat up by some crazed handloader, with a warrantee for what, a $100 more? Simple choice. CC

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wiskey, you just answered your own question. New, definitely not beat up by some crazed handloader, with a warrantee for what, a $100 more? Simple choice. CC
Yep. I figure I'll go plunk down some cash on one tomorrow.

Now, who's had their new issue DE customized? :)

·
Registered
457 Posts
The "O" package is performed by Colt.

Darn this thread. I had my next customized carry Colt narrowed down to a Series 70 or a Gold Cup (putting fixed sights on it among other things) and now I have to consider the DE as well.

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
Here is my Colt Delta Elite in stainless!! It is all original except for the Mag-Na-Port job by Larry Kelly at Mag-Na Port also back in 1989!! I bought it brand spanking new on July 19th, 1989!!! I would not get rid of it for anything!!!!:rock:

·
Registered
457 Posts
k217sc:

Have you had a chance to put many rounds down range yet?
I ask because my DGC was not reliable until my gunsmith gave it a reliability job among other upgrades. I know mine was built in the '80s or '90s and all..
It has been extremely reliable ever since. One of my favorite guns.

Sharp gun you've got there. Thanks for the info and idea. I like the idea of one more round in my carry 1911 and I already have a dozen magazines or more.

Also, is that the stock grip safety?

·
Registered
388 Posts
k217sc:

Have you had a chance to put many rounds down range yet?
I ask because my DGC was not reliable until my gunsmith gave it a reliability job among other upgrades. I know mine was built in the '80s or '90s and all..
It has been extremely reliable ever since. One of my favorite guns.

Sharp gun you've got there. Thanks for the info and idea. I like the idea of one more round in my carry 1911 and I already have a dozen magazines or more.

Also, is that the stock grip safety?
Just a coupla boxes worth and no problems. The grip safety is included in the 'O' package.

Wiskey 33: I sent it back to Colt. The pkg ran about $350-$375 (but that didn't include the MSH or the trigger).

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just a coupla boxes worth and no problems. The grip safety is included in the 'O' package.

Wiskey 33: I sent it back to Colt. The pkg ran about $350-$375 (but that didn't include the MSH or the trigger).
Seems to be very reasonably priced without having to worry about voiding a warranty.

Looks like I may be picking a new in box DE on Monday.:rock:

·
Registered
924 Posts
Here is my Colt Delta Elite in stainless!! It is all original except for the Mag-Na-Port job by Larry Kelly at Mag-Na Port also back in 1989!! I bought it brand spanking new on July 19th, 1989!!! I would not get rid of it for anything!!!!:rock:
SWEET. Haven't heard that name in a long time(Larry Kelly).He did some work for me back in the day. Most excellent work it was. I would love to shoot yours next to mine to compare the porting to stock on the 10MM.

·
Registered
364 Posts
First Issue

What do you guys think of the "First Issue" DE's, with the checkered arched MSH. I was looking at a used one at a local shop and really liked it. I know the arched MSH isn't everyone's favorite, but to me it gives it a real "early" gov't 1911 flavor.

Any reason one wouldn't "hold up" as well as a new one, if someone decided to go that way?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts