1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here’s my new Vudoo in 22LR. (Sorry for the lousy pics.). I’ve managed to collect a variety of ammunition (Lapua, Eley, RWS, Geco, CCI) to see what it likes best. If the weather cooperates a follow up will be forthcoming. Should make a nice ground hog getter regardless.

·
Super Moderator
7,852 Posts
Excellent. Is this your first Vudoo?

My 3 lug and single shot should be here soon.

·
Registered
24,643 Posts
What is up with that magazine? It seems to be rather large for a .22 rimfire. Nice glass!
With the PMII glass, the Atlas bipod and the muzzle brake. You would think that you are looking at a .338 Lapua magnum.
Tell me that you do not have a 20 MOA scope on that thing also. ;)

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Nice! A friend just bought one and they sent it to Lapua to select ammo for it, a service they offer I guess.

·
Registered
24,643 Posts
Nice! A friend just bought one and they sent it to Lapua to select ammo for it, a service they offer I guess.
I think that the trick is to get a bunch of ammo from the same lot# as what you find works best for your gun.

·
Super Moderator
7,852 Posts
What is up with that magazine? It seems to be rather large for a .22 rimfire. Nice glass!
With the PMII glass, the Atlas bipod and the muzzle brake. You would think that you are looking at a .338 Lapua magnum.
The mags look huge for a rimfire magazine, but there is a reason for it. The mags are the same dimensions as AI mags on the outside so that they are compatible with most all detachable mag bottom metal and chassis systems. They work awesome. The angle of dangle means that when the soft lead bullet starts in the chamber, it goes straight in and does not get deformed which is a huge plus for accuracy.

I dont have 20 MOA bases on my Vudoos. I have 40 MOA bases. Easier to hold dead on past 300-400 yards.

My Vudoos.

·
Premium Member
7,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Beyond the barreled action, the chassis/stock is based off a 700 platform so, it’s about muscle memory primaeily, in addition to their accuracy. Yes, 20 MOA rail. Beyond the size of the magazine, they have a feed ramp that enhances chambering. Admittedly, the muzzle brake, is for aesthetics. ;)

·
Premium Member
7,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, that’s true. I’ve collected 4 different match ammos, Eley, Lapua, RWS, Geco and of course CCI mini mags(non match). I hope to compare at least 2 this weekend.

·
Super Moderator
7,852 Posts
This was 395 yards with my 16 inch Vudoo with Eley Tenex. Its about a 3-4 inch group. Below it is 610 yards. Not too bad but I have zero idea where shot #5 went.

The magnetospeed hit indicator (on top of the target) can be a little iffy on this target. On normal steel that isnt angled down like this ABC zone, they work awesome.

·
Registered
24,643 Posts
The mags look huge for a rimfire magazine, but there is a reason for it. The mags are the same dimensions as AI mags on the outside so that they are compatible with most all detachable mag bottom metal and chassis systems. They work awesome. The angle of dangle means that when the soft lead bullet starts in the chamber, it goes straight in and does not get deformed which is a huge plus for accuracy.

I dont have 20 MOA bases on my Vudoos. I have 40 MOA bases. Easier to hold dead on past 300-400 yards.

My Vudoos.

Unbelievable! I had no idea that you guys were pushing the .22 rimfire that far. I am going to have to look into this. I started a thread some years ago enquiring as to how far people were able to push that envelope. Most subsequent posts were pretty derisive. So how much drop do you figure you are seeing at 395 yards?

·
Registered
24,643 Posts
With a 50 yard zero, about 20 mils or 290 inches. Around 1.3 - 1.4 seconds of bullet flight time.
That is pretty cool, 24 feet of drop. If you had a place where you could do it. It would be cool just to see how far you could launch a .22 rimfire. In a vacuum the ideal angle would be .45 degrees of elevation. In our atmosphere it is somewhat different. I am sure that the artillery guys could tell us. Or maybe if you could figure out the correct lead on it you could hit the moon with a .22 from the space station. Now that would be a neat trick.

·
Premium Member
7,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This was 395 yards with my 16 inch Vudoo with Eley Tenex. Its about a 3-4 inch group. Below it is 610 yards. Not too bad but I have zero idea where shot #5 went.

The magnetospeed hit indicator (on top of the target) can be a little iffy on this target. On normal steel that isnt angled down like this ABC zone, they work awesome.

Wondering if thinner 1/4” AR500 plate with the magnetospeed would react better at those distances. I have one but haven’t used it simply because thoses ranges aren’t available to shoot.

·
Super Moderator
7,852 Posts
Wondering if thinner 1/4” AR500 plate with the magnetospeed would react better at those distances. I have one but haven’t used it simply because thoses ranges aren’t available to shoot.
Once you set them to sensitive, they work fine. Even out past 600 yards. My dumb ass just forgot.

·
Premium Member
7,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So, I got to the range and did a preliminary comparison of Geco match, Eley match, and Lapua Biatholon.
Zeroing at 50 yards went fast Because I was alone and undisturbed... But at 100 yards, Geco started out ok but then spread out ( the upper left smaller target). The Eley was by far superior (the upper right target), which held a 10 shot group Tighter. The Lapua biatholon fell in between (sorry, no pic because more shooters on the range). Lapua was ok, Eley was disappointing in that I had 3 no fire rounds from 1 box. I may go back today to more Lapua and try some RWS and/or CCI . Here’s some pics.

Below is first 3 shots of Geco at 100 yds. Follow the next pic to see what happens.

Same target with another mag or 2 of the Geco.

The upper right target is the Eley, could be tighter, but not bad and the best of the 3 .
I didn’t get a pic of the Lapua.

·
Premium Member
7,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Forgot to mention how quiet this rifle is. I don’t know if it’s the ammunition or barrel??? Ammo is not subsonic.
You don’t need ear protection when shooting it. Could it be the muzzle brake? No idea, but it is very quiet.

·
Registered
24,643 Posts
Seriously cool rifle though, quiet or not. I have a couple of Remington 40Xs in .22 rimfire. Probably not in the same league. But this thread has told me that I should upgrade the glass on them just because.

·
Premium Member
7,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks USMM. My ’quiet’ comment was just unexpected mutual observations from the 4 of us shooting. Upgrading your glass can’t be a bad thing should you decide to do so.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts