1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Just received my new WC Commander the other day and it's better looking in person. Hasn't been fired yet but there is an issue with inserting the magazine. Unloaded magazine slides in easily for about three quarters of the way until it reaches the mag release, then becomes very hard to get it in the rest of the way. A bump with the heel of my hand will do it, and then it will click into place. It drops right out with no resistance at all. However, if I press the mag release button while inserting, it goes in smooth as butter.
Could someone please tell me what I have going on here? Forcing the magazine in can't be a good thing. Both magazines that came with the pistol act the same way. Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
One of my Clapp Government models was like this....it bothered me so I fixed it. If you pull the mag release you will be able to see where the wear is to break that edge.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One of my Clapp Government models was like this....it bothered me so I fixed it. If you pull the mag release you will be able to see where the wear is to break that edge.
Thanks for the responses guys. Yes, it bothers me too as it's about 10# of pressure to get past the mag release, or at least it feels like it. Maybe a touch up with a file is in order just for my peace of mind. I appreciate all your thoughts. Btw, they made a lot more of these than I had heard. The serial number is 4***WCA, so there are a lot of happy (I would assume) owners out there. Thanks again for the assistance everyone. Mike

·
Registered
15,653 Posts
It's NOT normal and it should be fitted properly. It is the result of "dropping in" parts at the factory without fitting them. Remove the slide and look down the magwell as you slide an empty magazine in. You should be able to see where the mag is running into the catch but not pushing it out of the way. 2 minutes with a file will fix it. It works just like a door striker - the angle has to be in the right place.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's NOT normal and it should be fitted properly. It is the result of "dropping in" parts at the factory without fitting them. Remove the slide and look down the magwell as you slide an empty magazine in. You should be able to see where the mag is running into the catch but not pushing it out of the way. 2 minutes with a file will fix it. It works just like a door striker - the angle has to be in the right place.
Drail, thanks for your thoughts. I plan to follow through with your suggestion to see if we can't get this problem straightened out. It just plain bothers me that I have to use so much force. I appreciate your response. Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts