1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently made the mistake of picking up a Wilson Combat X Tac at a local shop. There was no way I could not buy it after handling this gun.

They had three gorgeous Ed Brown guns including a stunning Kobra Carry 4.25" gun. I picked up all three of the guns but this was the one that really felt right in my hands. The front and rear checkering made it feel like nothing could make it slip from my hands. I also like the mag release Wilson uses on these guns and the rear battle sight is awesome.

As far as I can tell this gun has the Armor Tuff finish and was built in Sept. of 2013. The only other option it had is a tritium front sight.

When I first took it out it was shooting left for me consistently. I verified this using a rest and other shooters. Wilson Combat Rep explained how to move the rear sight by simply pushing it after unscrewing the two screws that go into it. My mind was blown haha. I am so used to other sight systems on handguns where you have to use a sight pusher or something to move the sights. I once did something incredibly stupid to a glock with one of those and have been afraid to do that myself ever since so a rear sight I can simply move with my fingers is awesome.

So far the gun has a total of 750 rounds through it. I put 400 rounds through it the first day without cleaning. After that I cleaned and lubed it with some CLP and put another 350 rounds through it total by this point. It has been exhibiting some strange failures to feed but I'm sure its just breaking in. I have a couple of new tripp research cobra mags and two 47d's it ships with.

I made sure to properly clean and lube the gun just like in the videos Wilson has on youtube. I also ordered some Ultima II oil and Universal. Wilson Combat Rep recommended oil for newer guns so I will try that on this and will use the universal for my Glocks and AR 15's.

The gun came with a test target and a really nice pistol bag. I plan on using this as my carry gun once I get some of the kinks worked out. The only things I want to change myself about it are the grips and possibly a gold bead front sight.

I've been looking at the VZ Bawidamann Walkure Carbon Fiber grips. Normally I don't like carbon fiber any thing but I think these would look killer on this gun and provide a good grip thats comfortable for IWB carry. Theres nothing wrong with the starburst grips I just don't like the look of them. Wilson Combat does offer some other gorgeous grips though.

I was also wondering if you guys could tell me if recoil spring plugs need any kind of fitting ? The finish on mine is coming off after disassembly (not sure how to avoid this) so I was going to get one of those stainless unfinished ones from Wilson next pay check.

The targets below are from after I re-zeroed the rear sights:

This target was at 10 yards standing. Top group is ten rounds. Bottom group is 8 rounds IIRC.

This was my last target of that day at 15 yards.

I'm not a very good shot with the pistol as I don't normally try to shoot for tight groups. I mainly focus on various drills including drawing from concealment and engaging, mag changes, transitions, etc. This gun makes me want to push myself to become a better shooter at longer distances. I know it is capable of amazing accuracy.

Here are some pics of the gun itself:

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Nice.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I truly blessed to have this gun. One day after I work out the kinks and become more proficient I will make this my EDC.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I was also wondering if you guys could tell me if recoil spring plugs need any kind of fitting ? The finish on mine is coming off after disassembly (not sure how to avoid this) so I was going to get one of those stainless unfinished ones from Wilson next pay check.
Congrats on your new X-Tac. The recoil spring plug is one of the few parts on a 1911 that does not require fitting however you do need to make sure you order the correct size. You can order a few of them and you can request that are Amor-Tuff'ed before shipping. If memory serves it's only like a $5.00 upcharge each to have them AT'ed.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
.45 ACP,

Thank you for the info. I would actually like a stainless recoil plug.

Thank you !

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
.45 ACP,

Thank you for the info. I would actually like a stainless recoil plug.

Thank you !
I know the bushing is stainless but the plug might look a little odd. Of course looks are secondary to function. You could always order a stainless and a AT plug at the same time so if you don't like the look of the stainless you could always switch it out. They also offered blued plugs which could be another option for you. :)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Lose the bushing wrench. Remove the slide before removing the plug, and you won't scrape the plug. When reassembling have the plug installed before you reinstall the slide.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will try that once I get the ultima lube next week. Thank you.

·
Registered
12,287 Posts
Congrats on your new X, great shooting too. Assuming that you're shooting 230 grain factory ball ammo, I'd be inclined to remove the shock-buff if it has one and ensure that your slide rails are well lubed, along with the barrel lugs and hood. Number your magazines and take that mag out of service if you experience a failure. Doesn't matter if it's a new mag, the point is to isolate the suspect mag and determine if the same type of failures continue.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I actually forgot to mention after I broke it down the first time I removed the shock buff. It looked a little beat in my opinion.

Should I put a new one in to see if the issues persist ? The FTF's did persist after removing it so I didn't consider the shock buff as a variable. I wish I paid closer attention to the failures or took pics. All I know is the gun does not fully go into battery but it was not a double feed situation. I simply drop the magazine and rack the slide and insert another mag when it happens. I should have simply racked the slide to see what happens thinking back on it.

I will keep track of the mags and order some new flat wire ones when I get some funds. I've got some ammo coming my way this Christmas thanks to my amazing fiancé.

I want to get her out to try this one. She's shot my Glocks and loved those so I hope she will enjoy this one.

·
Banned
612 Posts
I disassemble by opening the action and placing an empty casing in the chamber, smoke stack fashion. This captures the slide with the bushing on a smaller diameter of the barrel, and more importantly, it keeps from turning the bushing on the barrel where the gun locks up. I then depress the plug, rotate the bushing and remove the spring plug.

Then further disassemble, I assemble in reverse order. I find this easier, for me, than removing the entire slide assy. There are a few different ways to field strip, find what works for you.

**Personally, no carry pistols retain a shock buffer.

·
Registered
13,378 Posts
I actually forgot to mention after I broke it down the first time I removed the shock buff. It looked a little beat in my opinion.

Should I put a new one in to see if the issues persist ? The FTF's did persist after removing it so I didn't consider the shock buff as a variable. I wish I paid closer attention to the failures or took pics. All I know is the gun does not fully go into battery but it was not a double feed situation. I simply drop the magazine and rack the slide and insert another mag when it happens. I should have simply racked the slide to see what happens thinking back on it.

I will keep track of the mags and order some new flat wire ones when I get some funds. I've got some ammo coming my way this Christmas thanks to my amazing fiancé.

I want to get her out to try this one. She's shot my Glocks and loved those so I hope she will enjoy this one.
Take a picture with your cellphone next time it happens so we can avoid a 10 page thread to figure out exactly what happened.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Good advice ! I will definitely do that. I appreciate every ones help and I apologize for bugging you guys about these issues with so little data.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Gentlemen just wanted to mention that this gun now has had 500 more rounds of 230gr PMC through it without issue. I detail stripped it and re- assembled using the WC vids on YouTube and lubed her with Ultima lube oil. Those old videos are awesome. I was scared out of my mind to do this bit the old WC videos made it easier than detail stripping a Glock. I never knew the 1911 was this simple.

The new ETM's are gonna have to wait till after Christmas. I can't tell you guys how happy I am with this gun right now. It just keeps getting better.

WCR thanks for bearing with me and the guidance. The only thing I want to add at this point is the flat wire spring kit.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Congrats on several levels! Merry Christmas og556.

·
Super Moderator
14,971 Posts
Glad the issues worked out, and I'll bet the fiancé will like that pistol. Congrats on a great pistol, a great fiancé to give you ammo, and merry Christmas.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts