1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Jason here. I'm new to the Wilson Forum but have been active on the Baer forum for quite some time posting stuff like range reports and questions on my Premier II. Figured I'd introduce myself to the community as I have just acquired my new carry pistol. I had been carrying a Nighthawk Custom T3 Comp, a great pistol, however I could not get past the fact that it has straight black Heinie Sights. I like to at least have fiber or a gold bead but I prefer tritium for an all around use sight. My new pistol is a second owned Bill Wilson Carry with Wilson's Flat Wire Spring and tritium front and blacked out rear battle sight. When I got it the pistol had approx. 1200 rounds through it with no issues. When I took it home I disassembled it, cleaned and lubricated it.

Out here in the Pacific Northwest training in the fall and winter is interesting as it is always raining and muddy. Brought the BW Carry out today in the pouring rain and practiced drawing from concealment with a jacket since it is starting to get cold around here. I'm amazed at the minimal recoil for such a compact .45. I figured it would be more than a 5" gun however it seemed on par, must be the heavy weight barrel. I seem to shoot 5" guns better, as in more accurately, however this BW Carry is an amazing work of art. I put 450 round through it today ranging today from Herters Brass Case 230 GR, Winchester WB, and a local WA State reloading company who sells once shot factory reloads. I also tested out two types of carry ammo, Hornady XTP 200gr and Hornady 220 Critical Duty. All types ran great and I had zero malfunctions.

Well hope to gain all the knowledge ya'll have on this forum and here are the pics

Jason

Attachments

·
Registered
529 Posts
Very nice looking gun. Looks like fun out there :) I envy your ability to get out and do stuff like that.

My options for shooting ranges are limited in my area. I prefer to just get out in the country anyway, but even that can be tough unless you own your own property.

·
Super Moderator
14,959 Posts
Nice pistol, and a great way to spend a day. All the Wilsons I've fired have been smooth as butter, which makes them much easier to shoot well. Congrats.

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
Excellent job!

No safe queens!

·
Banned
390 Posts
Glad to see it used as it should be!! nice.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
All guns should be used. I'm about 80 miles north of Seattle - if we wait for perfect weather we don't shoot.
Nice pistol, hope you enjoy it for years to come.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Glad to see you didn't let a little rain ruin your range day.

Just a word of caution. The Critical Duty is generally considered a no-go as the polymer tip tends to drag on the feed ramp causing a stoppage. Carry what you feel most comfortable with, but I just don't want to see harm come to you or your family due to my neglecting to metion it.

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
That's awesome!

If it ain't rainin', we ain't trainin'!

Take that Safe Queens! :)

·
Registered
804 Posts
Welcome to this side of the 1911 forums. Heed Highgear's advice regarding polymer in your gun. Quite a few posts about the plastic making it difficult to feed and fire. Enjoy that weapon!

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Welcome to this side of the 1911 forums. Heed Highgear's advice regarding polymer in your gun. Quite a few posts about the plastic making it difficult to feed and fire. Enjoy that weapon!
That is absolutely great advice. WCR has also posted many times not to use this stuff. It's a good idea filling the hollow point with something soft that allows it to go through clothing without clogging. I totally get that and the idea is excellent, they just need to find something that has more natural lubricity than polymer so it doesn't gum up feed ramps.

I still have a box of Hornady's Zombie ammo that I purchased for novelty purposes only but I now realize it's a stupid idea to have ammo that I can't shoot.:( It's the same as Critical Defense but with a yellow/green ("Zombie colored") polymer filling. I was trying to think of a way I could safely remove the polymer tip and turn them back into standard JHP's. I may trying drilling out the polymer tip by hand (bit mounted in a Jeweler's grade precision pin vice) so there is no chance of generating heat. :confused:

·
Registered
804 Posts
JC, from where I stand, there is no one person that has not had something positive to add to this forum. The variety of knowledge and experience is so rich on this particular forum reading it is addicting. Everybody behaves as gentlemen and seems more than happy to extend themselves in regard to answering Wilson Combat questions. You will find I hope as I did, that this is the best source of information from grips to ammunition and all else in between. Plus there are some great photographers on here too. Enjoy yourself and don't be afraid to ask any question.
Richard

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Welcome. As the good Doctor said it's a great group here. Pictures of a dirty gun that has been rained on? I'd say that's an excellent intro post.

·
Registered
272 Posts
This is how it was always meant to be. Enjoy!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts