1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have put about 750 rounds through my new Tac Elite. It shoots to the left about 4 inches at 25 yards. It has the tac night sights

Is the rear sight pinned in or can I just give it a nudge with a soft rod to help line it up a bit better. I had thought about sending it back for alignment also.

Any advise would be helpful.

Thanks

Jerry

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Jerry the rear wilson sight probably has a set screw in it. You can just nudge it and it should be fine. Also if you let a friend shoot it he could be 4 inches to the right.How's the group is what is key.

·
Registered
405 Posts
1911jerry said:
Is the rear sight pinned in or can I just give it a nudge with a soft rod to help line it up a bit better. I had thought about sending it back for alignment also.
I had the same situation with my Tactical Elite. The rear sight has a set screw and is fixed with Loctite. I tried moving it with a brass punch without success. This technique has worked for me for many years on many pistols. Not this one. Talked to Wilson and was advised they adjust them with a shop-built heavy duty sight pusher. I invested in a Meprolight sight pusher (which has a heavy duty price) since I had other guns I wanted to adjust. That worked fine, but I was surprised by how much pressure on the sight it took to move it. It now shoots to point of aim and is one of the most accurate pistols I have ever shot.

If you don't have a continuing need for an expensive sight pusher I suggest having your local 'smith do it with his, or send it back to Wilson.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Does it shoot to the left at closer range? 10 yards?? I went to the range today and my Stealth was shooting to the left. My son shot it and it also shot to the left. After I got warmed up, I was shooting dead center. Pulling to the left sometimes is a trigger finger problem...

When I first got my Stealth it did continuously shoot to the left. Then I realized that the rear sight had come loose and shifted to the left. I finally got it set right and tightened properly. Shoots straight now!

H

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ammo?

What kind of ammo are you shooting? I bought a brick of Remington UMC 230 gr FMJ and it shot left, slightly low left to be exact.
I bought 100 rounds of Winchester 230 gr FMJ from Wal-Mart and found them to be on target.
So before doing a bunch of work on your sights, I'd recommend running a few types of ammo through your gun to make sure it isn't your ammo.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ammo used...

I usually shoot the walmart white box. I also shoot strong hand and weak hand, both shoot to the left. I called Wilson, they said to try to pull the sight to the left a bit and if it still does not line up to send it back for adjustment.

JS

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ammo and POI

I'm no expert, but I'd say that if your POI was all over the place then it's you. But, if you are shooting nice groups low left consistently with one kind of ammo only, when your POA is dead center, then it must be the ammo. Especially if with another couple of ammo types your POI is center mass.

I had a similar question on another forum and several folks had the same experience with Remington UMC.

Like I said, I'm no expert but I think you have to consider consistent POI vs random placement.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Are you shooting from a rest? Try that as well. It is not uncommon for an experienced shooter with a new pistol to pull down and to the left when getting it settled in to a comfortable grip ... that might take several hundred rounds. I had the same problem with my wilson stainless and the customer service folks would not accept that it was the pistol and not me. (incidentally, I graduated from our state academy over 25 years ago and shot 100% then and still end up over 95% on quals).. after all, it had been test fired there! So, given the cost to send it back to them (they would not take just the slide) I bought a sight pusher for not too much more than the shipping... I'm living with the vertical error, however. Any competent smith can quickly adjust your rear sight to poa / poi for a fraction of the shipping cost ... unless you feel that the pistol has other issues.
mefly2
:cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.