1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a chance to handle one of these last week and if you are looking to purchase a high capacity, tactical (god I hate that word) shotgun, then this new offering from Winchester might just fill the bill for you.

The prototype MK2 (the only one in country at this time) was sent to us by Browning for one of my employees (Jim Wall) to shoot at last weekends 3 gun match and also to get some feedback from some of our local shooters. The magazine of the MK2 holds eight rounds with one up the tube making 9. The Belgian designers are going to spritz up one for Jim to use at the next World Championship three gun match (formally the SOF three gun) and his gun will hold 10.

The MK2 is gas operated and is finished in matte black with a black polymer buttstock and handguard. It has a weaver type rail on top of the receiver for mounting optical devices. I have no idea what the suggested retail price will be, yet.

I did not get a chance to shoot it myself as I was busy elsewhere, but those that did found it quite favorable. Function was 100% with various 12 gauge loadings used.

How fast does the gun cycle? Last Monday, Jim took the gun back down to Morgan, Utah where he posed for some pictures shooting the new MK2 for the Winchester catalog. During the photo shoot, from 10 yards and starting from the low ready position, Jim was able to knock over 3 pepper poppers in .75 seconds. Jim also has a Benelli and in comparison, the MK2 is softer shooting because of its gas system and is easier to get back on target.

From what I understand, the MK2 will not be available till after the 2002 Shot Show, but if you happen to be at the World Championship Three gun shoot in Las Vegas next month, look Jim up and he will be happy to show you his.

If I would have thought of it, I could have taken a digital pic to display here, but I didn't. All those black tactical guns look the same anyway.

Tony

------------------
Milt Sparks Holsters, Inc.
www.miltsparks.com
[email protected]
Second Best is not an option

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
I'd just like to add one thing here for anyone considering the purchase of any gas operated auto-loader for defensive work. I work part time at a commercial shooting preserve and see an awful lot of shotguns in use every week. All gas guns, of all makes, new and old, malfunction periodically. I personally would not trust my life to one.

My personal choice, if one can afford it, would be one of the Benelli autos with the blow back (or whatever you call it) action. In six or seven years I've only seen these guns fail to function twice. One of these had been used heavily for Alaskan waterfowl and the recoil spring tube was full of crud. Second choice (and the one I have) for a defensive shotgun would be a pump gun. The reason for the shell shucker coming in second is that the possibility of short shucking is always there, and quite possibly more so in a stressful situation.

I actually like the SX and their Browning Gold sisters but would purchase something else if the purpose is self defense. Stay safe, Gary

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gary,
I have owned two Benelli shotguns. The first one was a 121M1 that I bought new in the early eightys, which I recently sold and the other is the model Super Black Eagle that I still own.

The 121M1 would occasionally stovepipe (usually during a match, of course) and this would occur whether it was used with light birdshot loads or magnum buck. It was no big deal getting the gun back into action, but it was definitely a distraction, nontheless.

The Super Black Eagle will occasionally fail to close all the way into battery when the gun cycles after the shot. This occurs more so with 3 and 3 1/2" magnums than with standard 2 3/4" loads. Both guns were properly maintained and lubed.

The Super Black Eagle is my waterfowl gun, so missing an occasional shot at a passing goose because of a malfunction is no big deal. However, because of my personal experience with the Benelli, I dont believe I have that much faith in the Benelli inertia recoil system to say that it is the gun I would entirely want to depend my life on.

I am sure there are those who have 100% reliable Benelli's, just as I personally know people who actually have 100% reliable Remington 1100's (an oxymoron if ever there was one). If the inertia recoil system is truly more reliable than a gas operated system, I have yet to personally experience it myself. Of course those old Browning A5's seem to just keep chugging along.

Tony

------------------
Milt Sparks Holsters, Inc.
www.miltsparks.com
[email protected]
Second Best is not an option

1 - 4 of 4 Posts