1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Just tried 100 rds. of the New(?)Winchester WinClean BEB in .45 ACP(230gr). Let me tell you this ammo is CLEAN. The spent brass looked like it was new--no residue. The BEB stands for Brass Enclosed Base. It's almost all brass jacketed, except for the center of the nose, which is flat. The recoil is much lighter than any other I've fired. Priced right too--$13 for 50 at Wal-Mart. Sorry, I'm not trying to sell the stuff, just real impressed. Has anyone else tried it (or the 200 gr)? I dont shoot with great accuracy at 25yds, so I couldn't tell the difference, but have any of you sharpshooters tried it with good results?

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I was given a box of WinClean about two years ago. I had seven (7) mis-fires and haven't wanted any more of the stuff. All 7 rounds and good, solid firing pin hits.

No more for me!

P.S. The rounds that did fire were very clean.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would keep me away as well, for good. I fired 2 boxes without any problems, so maybe they improved it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I shoot alot of the 230 grain winclean and have yet to have a "bad round"... and yes! it is VERY clean!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I bought two boxes a couple of months ago and fired one of them so far. I had no misfires and no FTFs, accuracy was good (better than other "cheap" practice ammo I've tried) and it was VERY clean. For times when I'm shooting indoors or don't have enough time to work up some of my handloads, I'll be buying more. Definitely worth the money.

The only drawback is that I'm going to have to segregate the brass from the rest of my Winchester brass as the primer holes are considerably bigger than normal brass. Once I have enough of these to reload a few hundred rounds, I'm going to load them to my standard load (200 gr. Rainier plated SWC, 4.5 gr. Clays, 1.260" OAL, .470" crimp) and see what difference that bigger hole makes. Stay tuned for the results.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The only time I use the stuff is when I'm at the range and out of ammo. They sell it there and it is a pretty good deal. I just know I'll get FTF's with my Kimber using it. BTW, The usually sell the 185 grain,,,,I'm not sure what the bullet configuration is called,,,,,jacket SWC,,,,,maybe. They are pretty blunt and relatively short.

Between the bullet configuration and the fact they don't seem to have much uummpphh, I figure that is the source of my FTF's.

I know when I reload the cases with ball ammo,,,,no problems.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Originally posted by Chris F:
The only drawback is that I'm going to have to segregate the brass from the rest of my Winchester brass as the primer holes are considerably bigger than normal brass. Once I have enough of these to reload a few hundred rounds, I'm going to load them to my standard load (200 gr. Rainier plated SWC, 4.5 gr. Clays, 1.260" OAL, .470" crimp) and see what difference that bigger hole makes. Stay tuned for the results.
I bought a box to see what it was like. It shot ok. I then threw the brass (with the large flash hole) into my regular brass supply for reloading. Other than a slight "pop" as the case is decapped in the press, there is no difference for me performance wise with the reloaded cases.

I also read an article in the American Handgunner where a Winchester rep said the enlarged flash hole makes no difference in the reloading process, or the subsequent re-use of the case.

Those Winclean cases I use have been run through the reloading process several times by now, since last summer, and I haven't had any problems.

------------------
johnnyb
A slow hit beats a fast miss

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I fire almost no factory ammo, and don't even remember if my WinClean experiment was unsual. I had no failures.

I tossed a bunch of the brass when I first saw the flash hole. I figured someone had been playing with a drill.

I've yet to see a velocity or accuracy difference between this brass and standard Winchester brass.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts