1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have resisted posting until I got these a bit further along, but I was assimilated and cannot resist any further. There is a mill, blast cabinet, lathe and welder taking up residence in my shop right now, all provided by a benefactor who has a heated garage so that I can further my gunsmithing skills. Perhaps someday soon I will be taking work into the shop, you never know. If I do, the plan will be to do it for very very competitive pricing, but no phone calls or emails please, right now I am just doing this for my fun and education:rofl:

The first gun, the Alpha Gun, is called that for a good reason. It is a SA GI base gun with a forged series 70 semi-raw Colt slide. This is the one that started life as a SA GI that I slowly built up then used for the checkering tutorial. Not much of a GI anymore. Non-rollmarked carbon forging. Right now it is outfitted with:
EGW hammer, sear, leaf spring and disconnector
STI Titanium hammer strut
S&A .220 beavertail
S&A fully blended magwell
Greider medium pull trigger
SA "Storm Lake" hard fit barrel
EGW angle bore bushing
Brown Hard Core firing pin and stop
Brown tactical extended thumb safety
Wilson Bullet Proof extractor
Wilson extended ejector
Wilson plunger tube
Brown recoil cap
Wolff 18.5 recoil and 18 lb main spring
Brown extended checkered ejector
EGW checkered slide stop
Bo-Mar low mount target sights, recontoured

Hand checkered to 25 LPI
3.5 lb crisp! trigger pull with hardly any over travel
Blended slide, extractor and beavertail
Fully blended magwell
60 deg target crown on barrel, flush cut to bushing

It will be getting
Slide borders
SDM Gold Bead Front sight in a Novak cut
ball cut scallops to meet the dust cover.
Maybe flat topped and serrated

The slide will be high polished blue and the frame will be Gun-Kote grey of some type. The grips will be VZ full cut 320s, I think.

Here are some pics in the raw and white as it is today.

Deez.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
This is the next one in the raw

This one is a Caspian 1911A1 carbon frame. The slide is a series 70 Colt with GI style sights. Non-rollmarked forging. This one has:
SA GI barrel for now.
EGW angle bore bushing
Aluminum short pull trigger
STI sear
EGW wide spur hammer
USGI slide stop
USGI MSH
18.5 recoil and 18 lb main spring
Ed Brown Hard Core firing pin and stop
Wilson extended ejector
STI Titanium hammer strut
Wilson disconnector
Wilson plunger tube
SA GI thumb safety
Wilson mag release
SA GI grip safety
Wilson recoil spring guide
4 lb crips trigger pull

The "US" grips will not be staying. They will be full checkered cocobolos. This one may just get parked, or maybe matte frame with an OD slide. Don't know yet. I may be gettting slide borders and ball cuts, just not sure yet.

Enjoy

Deez.

Attachments

·
Registered
325 Posts
Very nice, beautiful work and good therapy. Sounds like the new tools will make a big impact on the type of work you will be doing. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,884 Posts
Deez, I've been watching your stuff over time, and it just gets better and better. Congratulations!

·
Banned
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
And the third candidate

Not as exciting as the other two. This one is a SA GI base gun. I still need to do some polishing and finishing, obviously with the barrel crown and near the trigger guard, but oh well the camera was out.

STI sear
EGW hammer
SA GI barrel, to be replaced with a Storm Lake
USGI MSH
Wilson disconnector
Brown Hard Core firing pin and stop
Wolff 18.5 recoil and 18 lb main spring
Yo-Bo retro rear sights
Smooth Cocobolos

"Flat topped" 25 LPI checkering

In the works
MGW serrated ramped front sight
Slide borders
Ball cut slide to match frame

Finish might be Gun-Kote matte black slide over Gun-Kote OD frame. This will be applied over Parkerizing.

Deez.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess nobody likes my in the white guns since they are plain and don't have golf balls or snakeskins, or alligator grip panels. Oh well.....:biglaugh:

Deez.

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
I like them!

I'm more of a traditionalist, and although I like to look at them, I don't think I'd buy the snakeskin, golf ball, alligator, bobtail stuff. I even like the tang hammer look! Very nice work you've done there. Can't wait to see them completely finished.

Feel better now? :D

Keep at it! I'll feed my DIY urges vicariously through your work, because I'll never undertake a project like this.

John

·
Registered
98 Posts
deezulsmoke said:
Wish me luck!:rock:

Deez.
Best to you, let us know how it shoots, which is the most important part.
I sent you a PM regarding your choice of sight on the basic GI above.
:)

·
Banned
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, here is the long and short of the range report. The SA Colt with the Bo-Mar rear and no front slide was really grouping at about 15 yards with no way to tell where it was really pointed because of no front sight. BUT I got two 1-2 inch groups at 15 yards for 305 shots just by instinctive pointing. Really could not explain why. I had no jams, no feeding problems, nothing. It just shot and shot. I put about 75 rounds through it and it looks to be a good shooter. Will know more as I get the front sight dovetail cut and get the SDM gold bead front sight in there and then get it cut to shape and regulated. I am jazzed!

The GI/Caspian was interesting as well. I had about 3-4 FTF in the first mag after the single round, then two round test to make sure it was safe. The gun is tight tight tight. Then after getting one more mag through it, it just shot and shot and fed and fed. I need to drift the rear sight just a pinch as it seems to be shooting about 1-2 inches right at 15 yards. BUT I am getting about 1-2 inch groups with it as well! I still cannot see the GI sights as well as I used to, but my youngest son was just shooting the heck out of it. He is very consistent and it was hitting just about 1-2 inches right and POA with a 6 o'clock hold. Not too shabby! I am still trying to decide if I will leave the SA GI barrel in it, it is shooting really well, or fit one of the oversized Storm Lake barrels that I just got. I have all of the know how and tools to do it, just need to take the time. It would be interesting to see how the Storm Lake shoots after I get it fitted vs. the SA GI two piece barrel that is in it now. So many things to do and so little time! I know that I will be taking the most time with the GI because as soon as it is done, as I noted in my other bluing/finishing post, I will have to give it up as a gift to my father and I am not sure that I am ready to do that after spending all of this time working it over. Really interesting experience building these two up from scratch with all of just the right parts and soon to have all of the right conservative eye candy and finishes. Pretty fun and interesting. I will keep you all posted.

Deez.

·
Premium Member
9,656 Posts
Damn Deez, 3 projects at once!?

Have to say I'm partial to the Alpha myself, though that base gun is looking sharp too. So does the Caspian. Okay, so I like all three. :rock: I need to get another GI to fiddle with. I want to keep the one I have looking like a GI gun (that was the whole point, after all) but I keep looking at yours and Breech's projects and the gears start turning. Plus I'm saving my pennies for something special. Wonder if my wife would notice the almost two grand on the charge card...

Nice work.

Robert

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
Nice! Tradional good looks, and they shoot, too! You'll take finished pix, obviously, to feed my addiction?

John

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Very nice.

I wish I could have a project like that.

Luke

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Look Great. Let us know how they shoot.
I'm getting to be more and more a traditionalist. Everything I have has front cocking serrations except my wife's Special Combat. I'm beginning more and more to like the smooth look better. Bought my first gun in '97 and being new to shooting fell into the "All the bells and whistles" category. Now I'm more into just a few features (for personal comfort) done well. I like a long/medium trigger, white outline nite sites, skate board tape/checkered front strap, extended thumb safety and that's about it. Guess I subscribe to Col. Cooper's philosophy-less is more.
They look great and give us a range report when they're done.
Keep up the good work. We can never have enough GOOD smiths. Tracy

·
Banned
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I just need to pick one and stick to it until it is done. I have another thread on blueing going on because I just think that the GI may need a blue finish. I have all of the stuff to do the parkerizing and was just planning on doing that, but the more I think about it, the better it would look with just a nice traditional blue finish. Just not sure if I will use the hot bath chemical/wipe on finish or try brweing my one salts. Probably will go with the more traditional hot salts. The Caspian GI will need quit a bit of polishin before it will be ready to go.

Deez.

·
Banned
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quick update.

I sanded and finished one side of the Colt slide down to near "done" and tried some of the Van's "cold" blue on a spot on the slide after cleaning, degreasing and prepping a 1 inch or so long area of the slide. I heated the slide with a hair dryer until is was very warm to the touch and then applied the Van's. The area that I did was very carefully prepped and cleaned. I was not happy with the results. It was green to almost purple in some areas. Some areas were the right acceptable blue/black that I was after. I am now switching gears and will be "brewing" my own hot salts using Sodium Nitrate and lye. I will finish prepping the slide completely and then try the hot salts and report back in. I will have some more in process pictures of both pieces very soon as I get more work done. These Colt slides will take a LOT of hand finishing to get the right look.

Deez.

·
Banned
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Update on Caspian GI

I wanted to wait until I got a bit further along, but I have been getting questions on how the build is going. I am getting close to finishing the polishing on the Caspian GI. You will remember that this is a Colt non-rollmarked slide and Caspian frame. The Sa GI barrel in it now is just a "place holder". I am in the process of fitting a Storm Lake match barrel to it as well. It is just not done. Here are some pics. Please bear in mind that the polishing on the slide is not done. It is at a 600 grit right now and it will be at 800 when I am done. Also, the Capsian slide will be getting a 800 grit polish on the flats as well.

Deez.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts