1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my new Colt WWI repro yesterday from Sporting Arms. The carbonia blue finish looks excellent on all of the parts with no issues on finish match.

Below are a few of the obligatory pictures for you fans out there.

Sorry for the poor quality. No natural light and the flash just doesn't work for gun pics.

I should be able to get to the range later this week for initial firing.

Now if I could only get that .38 Super Enhanced Blued...

·
Administrator
73,375 Posts
Nice!!!!! Nothing at all wrong with those pics, except they're too small for us to be able to drool over. ;)

I have a lead on a WW1 replica myself, should hopefully have it within a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Wow, very cool. And the pics aren't that bad. Just surf around for awhile and you'll see truly bad pics.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Awesome gun. You;ve made me bump that to the top of my list, right under NRM Gov't for a carry gun.

I'm sure all the other Colts and Garands on my wish list are thanking you. :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Initial Range Report

Well, I put three boxes of S&B thorugh the WWI today at the range. I used a Colt factory mag and a Wilson eight round mag. The gun felt great and I had a great time shooting. Two issues during my session included FTEs and a slightly heavy trigger pull.

The FTEs occurred with the last round in the mag about 75% of the time. Both the Colt and Wilson mags had the same issue and I have previously used them in my other 1911s with the no problems. I suspected a poorly tuned extractor and verified this upon stripping and cleaning the gun this evening. I adjusted the extractor and it seemed to pass the (Wilson) extractor tuning tests. I'll have to vailidate this at my next range session. I consider this a pretty simple adjustment if everything works out as I expect.

The trigger was too stout and I will have to consider some work on this front. I don't have a guage and maybe it is time to purchase one, but this is by far the heaviest trigger on any of my Colt 1911s. Any suggestions?

WG

·
Administrator
73,375 Posts
I honestly don't look at these as shooters, given the fragile carbonia blue finish, tiny U-notch sight, slick front and back straps, long hammer and short grip safety spur. When I receive mine I probably won't bother to shoot it at all, save for the one and only time just to test accuracy and functioning.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts