1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after a ton of deliberation, I found and purchased a Colt Mustang XSP via a popular Gun Auction Site.

Do I need it? Not really, but it is going to ensure that I can have a pistol with me nearly all of the time.

I don't have any issues with CCW this time of year, but during the summer months, it gets a bit more challenging to dress for carry. Could I have waited? Yep. I paid about $50 more for it than I told myself I was willing to spend; it is, after all a pretty pricey for a polymer handgun. Still, I came out way under retail, and I guess there's always a better deal, somewhere.

I carried a Mustang Pocketlite as a true BUG wayyy back in the late eighties, early nineties. I'm very proficient with both right and left hand shooting (ambidextrous, really) but as a preferred southpaw, I always had a tinge of doubt about the lack of ambi controls on the older guns. This pistol solves that, so I gave it a lot of consideration, and here I am.

I also had to send the original pistol back to Colt twice for FTE issues, so that was a concern as well. I feel pretty confident that Colt has produced a winner here, but that's a bit more hope than I normally like to put stock in when making decisions.

In any case, just thought I'd share, and promise to do a follow up range report once the little pistol gets here. The one thing I do remember about that first Mustang was that it was fun to shoot, and handled recoil like a champ for such a small gun.

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
I am another lefty and have the small non polymer under consideration. I am able, as are you I take it, to use a pistol right handed although I have a preference for not doing so. At one time there was an ambi available for the small GM but not sure if it can still be found. I will be interested in knowing how the pistol performs when held at the nine o'clock position with the right hand as that would comfortably place the sights in front of the left eye.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As mentioned, I'll give it a nice workout when received.

I've plenty of carry pistols, and really need to "come to grips" with my purchase of this little pistol. I'm sure I'll really like it, having owned an original Pocketlite. The ambi was the real reason I never could really love the pistol, so maybe this new addition is the cure.

I'll let you know!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I picked up an xsp a little while back, haven't shot it yet though. I'm just a Colt 380 freak, I have 4 different Colt 380s now.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I just missed the little pistol, in addition to feeling the "need" to have something to quickly bring along with me in certain situations.

Putting some trust in Colt that they've got this new pistol ready to go, with no issues (as can be common on a first years model)

As mentioned, I remember it being a very nice shooting pistol, actually easier (and more enjoyable) to shoot than a Sig P232 my wife has.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The old Pocketlite did have issues that I have not heard from the new model. I have a new one and have had no problems, the only .380 I've ever enjoyed shooting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts