1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that the other day when I asked about making a very light .38 Special load the thread was immediately closed. I am assuming that the idea is that the information shared about reloading has to be carefully monitored so that someone (like me) doesn't possibly act on bad advice and blow their hand off? Or am I not taking this the right way? Is it permissible to ask speficic questions about reloading on this forum?

·
Registered
496 Posts
I noticed that the other day when I asked about making a very light .38 Special load the thread was immediately closed. I am assuming that the idea is that the information shared about reloading has to be carefully monitored so that someone (like me) doesn't possibly act on bad advice and blow their hand off? Or am I not taking this the right way? Is it permissible to ask speficic questions about reloading on this forum?
I can't imagine why your thread would have been closed. This forum is indeed to share information to promote safe and enriching reloading. I guess one of the monitors will have to respond?

·
Banned
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know. I'm interested in getting into reloading but I want to play by the rules of the forum, that's the only reason I'm asking.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Common sense would dictate not shooting standard .38 Special ammo in a basement. Also, minimum powder loads specified should not be decreased further for safety reasons. [Apparently powder explodes rather than burns.]
If you want to so do short distance target/practice work in the garage think about Speer plastic cases and bullets. They are only propelled by a primer and you don't need reloading equimpment to use them.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
No, he means "explodes".

Some powder charges of some types of powder cannot be safely decreased, due to 'possible' detonation issues. (Normal service pistol rounds are not known for this, but many rumors abound of it happening with larger cases such as the .45 Colt with small charges of slow burning powder.) Another danger would be risk of sticking a bullet in the barrel, then firing another round behind it, ruining the pistol as a minimum, and possibly your hands/eyes as the gasses escape from existing (or new) openings in the pistol.

·
Banned
292 Posts
i saw your post and you were asking about loading well under suggested minimums,this is as stated in all reloading manuals not recommended and even dangerous. now when i read those manuals i take in to concideration the 3 or 4 guys that probably wrote it together have a collective total of probably 100 years reloading experience and i tend to take there advice.if you got some bad advice on here from who knows who it could make the web site look bad and possible be held liable for any injury or worse you may incur

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
If there is a question on your post why not try asking about it in the “Site Questions & Suggestions” section?
I have done this and been helped.
Maybe PM one of the Moderators? There is always one or two floating around somewhere.
Good Luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts