1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the application process for a CCW right now, and I received my new Kramer IWB#3 today, for my new Kimber Pro CDP. I've been wearing it around the house to try to break it in, and I'm just wondering (since this is all new to me), how long does it take to get over the weirdness of having a gun on your hip?

Maybe it's the street clothes. When I'm afield hunting, there's none of the weird feeling (although we carry openly, of course)....

Even in my own home, it's a new/awkward enough feeling that I imagine there's a big red neon sign over my head, with an arrow pointing at my hip, blinking on and off, saying "GUN! GUN! GUN!" I can't imagine being out in public and not being made. I also imagine that it prints like crazy, although my g/f says she can't see it at all.

Very strange feeling. I'd like to hear from some folks who've been carrying a long time.

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
The feeling will go away, I can't tell you how soon however. Take heart, 98% of the population would not notice your pistol even if it did print. Hell, 50% of the population would not notice if 2" of the barrel stuck out from under your covering clothing. And there those that would not even notice if you did have the neon sign flashing "gun - gun - gun" with arrows pointing to where it was.

It is like holster creak and squeek, it sounds really loud to you but not many will notice the noise and those that do will not think holstered pistol anyway.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

·
Registered
350 Posts
Didn't take me long to get used to it, but I'm definately more aware of my surroundings.

I do not live in the best part of town, so I carry almost all the time. At the local grocery store at night they have a city police officer, I can't tell you how many times I've been in there,,,even stopped and chatted a bit and never a word has been said.

Like Jim said, most people will never know.

Thanks,
H4444

·
Registered
39 Posts
Originally posted by h4444:
Didn't take me long to get used to it, but I'm definately more aware of my surroundings.

Boy, ain't that the truth! I find myself playing "what if" all the time. And it's been one of the less-expected benefits of carrying -- I'm seeing a lot more of what's going on around me.

Gene

·
Registered
3 Posts
YES YOU WILL GET USED TO THAT FEELING. ACTUALLY TO QUOTE CLINT SMITH FROM THUNDER RANCH "IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE COMFORTING NOT COMFORTABLE"

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the responses, guys!

Even though it'll be months before I will have a CCW, and the accompanying responsibilities, I already find myself playing "what if?" It has made me too more aware of my surroundings.

In fact, even if I should fail in my pursuit of a CCW, this exercise has already proven to be a benefit as I'm becoming more aware of what's going on around me, and learning to always have an "out" or a good line of retreat. That will always be useful and can still save my hide, whether carrying or not.

/TCP

·
Registered
104 Posts
What Jim V said is absolutely true.....most people wouldn't notice it even if the darn thing was outlined with a highlighter pen. Only other CCW's might notice....but not many. Think about how YOU see people. Not a lot of details.....quick answer this. What did the person next to you at the gas pump have on? Hair color? How tall? Bet you can't remember.....no reason to huh? We don't really pay much attention to each other in public (except if you are a well endowed redhead, then I notice everything hahaha).

Don't worry about it, you'll get used to the feeling very soon and then you will wonder how you ever could have had such feelings. Best of luck.

------------------
I guess if we do that.....maybe we all earn the right to go home......

Please visit my Gunsmithing Web Project.

http://www.roderuscustom.tzo.com

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I hate to say it, but being new to carrying is like having a pimple on your face. Chances are that nobody is going to notice anything out of the ordinary (pimples not being uncommon) but you will feel like everybody is staring at it.

I completely disagree with the statement attributed to Clint Smith that a gun should be comforting and not comfortable, however. While a gun should be comforting, if it is not comfortable, then you have made the wrong holster decisions or are wearing your gun in a bad location. This is really akin to buying proper shoes that fit well or buying proper pants that fit well. The only times my guns are not comfortable tend to be when I have them located in the wrong location on my belt.

If the gun is uncomfortable, then you will do things to alleviate the discomfort and that can draw attention to you having the gun. When a gun is comfortable, you can almost forget it is there, just like having a good fitting pair of shoes on your feet.

If you are worried about printing, start making a few new clothing decisions. Dark colors are better than light colors, busy patterns are better than most solids, thicker fabric better than thinner. When I started carrying and when I get new clothes, I get my wife to play "find the gun" to see if I am printing (no off color comments, please!!!). Since she already has some idea where it is going to be, she can spot it quickly if I am printing. Keep in mind, she knows what she is looking for. If she can't spot it or only can tell I have something there but can't discern whether it is a gun, PDA, knife, or cell phone, then chances are that nobody out in public is going to have the slightest idea.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I can relate with you concerning the wierdness feeling. It took me some time to get over the feeling whenever I was carrying.
Wanna hear something funny ? The first time I went in Wally World carrying, I just knew that the security detectors would go off when I walked through them. Intellectually, I knew that they only go off if someone walked through without the tag being disabled but on a visceral level, I just knew that bells snd horns would sound. Obviously it didn`t, but I sure was nervous. It`ll pass.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The awkwardness of carrying concealed can be lessened by wearing your rig around your house, but you also need to consider all aspects of your public life. Learning to squat with your knees to pick stuff up not only prevents you from printing, but keeps your field of view up on what is going on around you. It was hard to learn that I couldn't just dive into the booths at my favorite Greek restaurant (hardwood) without making a knocking sound that would draw attention. Also, practice using the restroom with a gun trying to weigh down your pants, both ways. This is better to do at home first in a controlled environment. You may not always have a closed stall available in public. Also, my first rig was a Kramer #3 for a Berretta Cougar, good leather, crappy pistola. Practice taking the rig on and off in the sitting position, as though you were in a car. There will be times when you will have to unkit, and those times will not be the times you want to discover if you can do it discreetly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Took about a week of carrying before that went away for me. Felt the same way though, very first time out carrying I went and got my hair cut! That was disconcerting to have a stranger that close to you, I was sure that I had the neon sign on too! Anyway, that was many years ago now... It becomes second nature, don't worry.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Once you find a comfortable and concealable way for YOU to carry. Practice, Practice, Practice retrieveing your gun. I have found that small changes in your concealment garments can make large changes in how easily you can draw. Things like different coat linings, how you button your shirt etc can interfere with your draw. Make sure your "concealed weapon" is not only concealed but available.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
You've started with an excellent holster. Anytime you add a couple of pounds to you're daily body weight it is going to feel strange. Give it time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Another reason not to worry so much if people notice that you are carrying. If a "good" guy notices, no problem as long as you are legal. If a "bad" guy notices, your gun may save you from being a victim without you even knowing it. Very few criminals would attack someone they suspect is carrying. Obviously you don't want to attract too much attention, but then, most people would only notice a bulge if they are looking for it. Also, in this age of cel phones and pagers everyone has a bulge these days.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I agree h444 all the way. Carrying a handgun makes me ten times more aware of my environment. I got used to worrying about printing, and now I feel naked without a handgun some where on my body.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks again guys, for all your support & help!

I've been wearing my rig around the house, practicing "un-kitting", and using the rest room. Needless to say, being that it's a very small house, I've been getting some funny looks from my girlfriend ("honey, do you REALLY need that in the bathroom?"). I definitely am getting more used to it, and have discovered which items in my wardrobe print the least.

JiminCA, I'm only in the process; I haven't had it granted yet, and although my reasons are good ones, there is still some doubt as to whether I will actually get my CCW. Again, at least practicing is a good awareness exercise regardless of whether or not I get the CCW.

Fingers are crossed, though...

Cheers,

/TCP

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
<><> TC, what did you use for just cause?
If you don't mind my asking.
======================

<><> Raspy <><>

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
JUST CAUSE

Raspy,

I'm in a business that will have me transporting large amounts of high-speed next-gen computer chips. They're very valuable, very portable, and easily marketable. Kinda like diamonds. There have been some very violent smash n' grab robberies related to this product. That's basically my cause.

I've heard rumours that if you're a consistent IDPA/IPSC competitor, having to move a quantity of weaponry around the state to compete is just cause. Some jurisdictions (read: NONE in the bay area) have seen this as just cause.

Where are you in the state? If you're in LA, there's no way that will be sufficient cause. Might as well win the lottery and start donating to your favorite local police chief if you want a CCW.

/TCP

1 - 20 of 24 Posts