1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this 1911 OD Green yesterday, I like the gun, but know it only has the basic, anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to upgrade this pistol? like sights, etc....
Thx in advance..

Great forun by the way..

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Sights and "etc."

Sights are easy. Yost makes a rear sight called the "Retro" that fits in the existing dovetail and has a .140" notch, slightly wider than the original. Medium tenon front sights can be added with no modification to the pistol.

The "etcetera" part can get into lots of money. Changing springs is quick and cheap, replace them all (main, recoil and sear) with Wolff. Ignition parts can be replaced with non-mim if it's an issue for you but they need to be fitted by a 'smith.

My advice to anyone considering modifying a 1911 is to shoot it a lot and make lists of things you want to change. Don't do anything on a whim, it costs too much money.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Definately change all the springs to Wolff or Wilson springs.
Factory springs in SA 1911s that I've owned have all been sub-standard.

If you wanted different or improved sights, why did you buy the basic
GI 45? Most people buy a GI 45 to get the basic WWII type military
issue GI 45.

Always buy what you want to end up with. Cheaper that way.

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
Asked and answered. Scroll thru the forum and you will see your question has appeared several times. There are lots of good replies and pictures from lots of subscribers. Welcome and good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
Always buy what you want to end up with. Cheaper that way.
While it may be cheaper in the long run...sometimes it`s a whole lot more fun to start with a basic gun, learn the gun and add upgrades as time, money, and experience allow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thx for the advice

I got the GI 45 to be sure I would like the springfield 1911's before I invested in buying more of them. I also liked the GI 45 look of the WII style, reminded me when I was in the military ( not WII ;) )
I fired it today, put about a half a box of shells thru it, definately impressive and not one bit of trouble.
Upgrading this model will be in the future, but will shoot it alot more just for the enjoyment.
again thx for the info every-1

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Good reasons to customize a G.I.

My "all day, every day" gun is a custom build on a G.I. frame. Yes, it would have been cheaper to buy a different model pistol, but going this route I know that every part in my carry/duty gun is top shelf. Sometimes the object isn't to save money, but to have a dead solid pistol.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Put as many rounds of factory hardball ammo through it as you can. See if there are any reliability issues first. Consider using Springfield's own Custom Shop for any mods since that way you preserve your lifetime warranty (although Springfield doesn't seem to automatically blame non-Springfield parts for problems).

I wanted to change my 1911 too. Until I shot it. The GI sights are fine. Find out what you've got before you think you're missing something.

A gun is like a woman. If you listen, she'll talk to you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts