1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I recently inherited a 1945 Ithaca from my deceased Grandfather. The pistol is in great shape w/very little holster/finish wear (there's a VERY small amount by the end of the barrel. No pitting either. The barrel is in nice shape w/strong rifling, and it has what looks like "HP" on the top (the H & P are joined as one character). On the right side of the pistol is marked "United States Property", there is a small 2 on the trigger guard, and some kind of marking (looks like some type of funky circle) on the top near the left side of the grip. On the left side, the pistol has FJA and P near the grip along the side, and what looks like a J on the trigger guard. Ithaca Gun Co. Inc & Ithaca NY are written on the side of the slide. Anyway, do these markings sound correct? What do you guys figure it may be worth in today's market? I'm not really thinking about selling it, but would like to know what a correct value would be for insurance purposes (if it's even worth it).
Many thanks!!
John

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
off the top of my head, i think it's 2,126,XXX. strange that it's ww1 vintage. is this normal for these, or do you think it was tweaked along the way? funny thing is that the rifling in the barrel is excellent. i mean really strong... there's some wear on the top, but inside is great.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Janos-

A military arsenal may have replaced your barrel. Just because it was made earlier than the rest of the gun doesn't mean it was shot much before being installed. Some parts stayed in storage for many years before being used.

Lucky you have nice rifling, but jacketed bullets probably wear these older, softer barrels somewhat sooner than they do later, harder steels. Don't know how soon you'd notice the effect, unless you shoot a lot of action pistol matches with this gun, which would seem an odd choice except for collecting and occasional utility sidearm use.

Used in moderation, that barrel may last your lifetime.

Texas Star

1 - 5 of 5 Posts