1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What makes the Ed Brown better than,... say....a Dan Wesson?:confused: Thanks in advance for the replies.:)

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Mine is best because I like it best. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Yes, I think there is a bit of trolling going on but that's okay. :)

Actually, the question is timely from my perspective. I just purchased a DW CBOB and compared it visually to my Brown Special Forces Carry. Here's what I wrote before I took my CBOB to the range today:

-----------------------

Ed Brown invented the bobtail. Dan Wesson really set itself apart with its bobtail Classic. I recently acquired the DW Classic Bobtail and decided to do some side by side comparisons with my Brown Special Forces Carry.

What? Compare a DW to a Brown that cost more than twice as much money? That's how impressed I was when I first handled the DW. Since I haven't had a chance to get to a range with the DW, I'll stick to features and a non-shooting evaluation.

Frame construction: Both the Brown and the DW sport a 4.25 inch barrel. The Brown has a forged frame, the DW is cast. Forged frames are the gold standard in high end 1911s but a lot of custom pistols are built on investment quality cast frames. ADVANTAGE: Brown.

Frame cut: Both guns have an undercut frontstrap. This helps a shooter get a high hold for better control. Brown's seems just a bit higher or deeper, but not significantly. ADVANTAGE: Brown.

Frontstrap: The Brown Special Forces Carry has nicely done chain link stippling. The DW has machine cut 25 LPI checkering. It provided a grippy surface and will likely not have that cheese grater feel when shooting. Mine had no overruns. Since it's a personal choice on stippling versus checkering, I'll call this one, ADVANTAGE: even.

Backstrap: The Brown is stippled like the frontstrap. The DW is smooth. I like a little grip purchase here. ADVANTAGE: Brown.

Slide to Frame Fit: The DW's slide to frame fit is very tight. The Brown's is not exactly sloppy, either and Brown's motto is "Tight isn't necessarily right." The Brown is heavenly smooth when racking the slide. The DW's already smooth feel should become even smoother after shooting. For now, I'm going to say ADVANTAGE: Even.

Bushing/Barrel lockup: I can remove the bushing on my Brown with my fingers with some effort. I can't do this (yet) with the DW. I think I'll be able to after field stripping a few times. I was able to get it off with my fingers if I field strip by taking the slide stop out first. Advantage: Even.

Magazine release button: The Brown has a standard length button. The DW has an extended length button which most people find preferable in a carry type gun. Advantage: Dan Wesson.

Overall fit/finish: The DW Classic Bobtail is a very nicely fit 1911. Anyone would be proud to have this in his or her safe. However, Brown takes fit/finish to the next level. For example, you can see the extractor extrude very slightly at the rear in the DW. In the Brown, you can't even feel any extrusion. The Brown's mainspring housing is blended better than the DW's. The slide stop on the DW extrudes just a bit more on the right side. I previously mentioned the mag release button above but the checkering on the Brown is finer and nicer than the serrations on the DW. Inside, both guns were free from toolmarks and burrs or shavings. ADVANTAGE: Brown.

Trigger: The Brown has a standard length, three hole aluminum trigger. It has just a bit of overtravel, no creep and is very crisp at an estimated four pounds. The DW has an extended length, three hole aluminum trigger. I have smaller hands and prefer the standard length trigger, though this is a personal choice. The DW had considerably more overtravel, though this can be adjusted. The trigger had a fair amount of vertical slop; i.e., I could move it up and down quite a bit. It broke at about five pounds. It had just a bit of creep but I suspect this will clean up with shooting. ADVANTAGE: Brown.

Grips: Both guns sported high grade, double diamond cocobola wood grips. The "points" on the DW were a bit sharper than on the Brown. The Brown grips were rounded or tapered more at the edges. This gave the grips a thinner and better feel. The Brown grips had cutouts for the mainspring housing pin while the DW's grips covered the pin. I like them covered better. I liked the feel of the Brown grips better but liked the way the DW grips provided full cover. Ultimately, grips are about shooting and not appearances. Though this is largely subjective, I'll say Advantage: Brown.

---------------------

I took my DW to the range today and put 75 rounds of FMJ through it with no problems. The Brown had a couple of feeding problems when I first got it which I tracked to weak mag springs on a couple of mags I was using. I replaced the springs and feeding has been 100% reliable since then, including with my favored Gold Dots.

I was able to generally keep rounds from the DW in a fist sized hole at 7 yards shooting fairly rapidly. I don't yet know what it will do rested. I can tell you that the Brown will shoot clover leaf groups at 15 yards rested (on a good day). As I mentioned above, the trigger on the Brown is better, though I'm sure the DWs can be cleaned up by a decent gunsmith.

I really, really like the Dan Wesson. It may be the best value out there. However, if I had to choose, I would take my Brown SF Carry over the CBOB.

·
Banned
2,125 Posts
Newbie with over 3,300 posts and now this question comes to mind :scratch:

What gives?? I smell a rat.
A whole lot of trolling going on these days down here in EB land.:(
I guess it's slow up in DW town.
DAT85

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
Excellent Post KyJim ..... and to sum it all up, one might say that either of these is a great choice, depending on how much $$ you wish to spend on a single handgun purchase.
Does make one a little nervous plunking down over 25g's for a 1911. But, as mentioned ..... Ed Brown pistols are at the top of the list ....... showing more attention to quality in every single detail. :)
Once you near the 2g price range ..... it's just becomes a matter of personal preference.
1911's ..... :rock:

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Excellent Post KyJim ..... and to sum it all up, one might say that either of these is a great choice, depending on how much $$ you wish to spend on a single handgun purchase.
Does make one a little nervous plunking down over 25g's for a 1911. But, as mentioned ..... Ed Brown pistols are at the top of the list ....... showing more attention to quality in every single detail. :)
Once you near the 2g price range ..... it's just becomes a matter of personal preference.
1911's ..... :rock:
Maybe a little off topic, but I noticed that you have a Mas Signature EB. I have not come across anyone who owns this piece and was wondering what you think of it. Full disclosure: I have an EE and an EC from Ed Brown and can not find fault with either pistol. Looks, performance, reliability, accuracy and on and on.

·
Administrator
13,325 Posts
Thanks for a good response KyJim :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.