1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was never a 1911 fan until last week when I came across a kimber pro eclipse (I fell in love, but we know what problems that can cause!). I own berretta's and Sigs, and I'm going to buy a Kimber, but which one? Primary use will be conceal carry. I really don't want to pay over 1k for a handgun, but I want to make sure I make a wise decision. Love the compactness of the kimber (pro and ultra), and looking at that Eclipse, well that's why I'm here. I've read the problems with the night sights, and apparently they may have an eclipse in all stainless out.
First question, what makes the eclipse different from ultra other than the finish? (I also can't help but wonder how the finish on the eclipse will hold out as well). I may go with the ultra carry in stainless, will I have to order the night sights seperatly? As mentioned before, primary use is carry. I've literaly taken a new sig out to the range and put 500 rounds through it, no problems (my new berretta 92 g has 1500 rounds in two weeks with no malfuntion), can I expect the same from a Kimber? ANY feedback will greatly be appretiative. I'd really don't want to "second guess" my choice in a Kimber. Thks

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
<><> 13f, I have 2 Kimbers, nite sites on an SS UC. The other is a Compact, all steel, no nite sites as yet. I have not had any problems with the nite sites, have had the UC for about 3 years. The Compact will get nite sites after it has 1000 rounds thru it, now it has about 300 thru it now with no hiccups. This way I have more money to spend on ammo while I save for the nite sites. Welcome to the site, lot of good info here. Enjoy which ever Kimber you end up with.
-------------------------------------

Raspy

[This message has been edited by raspy (edited 09-15-2001).]

·
Registered
21 Posts
The Eclipse series is a custum shop gun with several "custom" features. The custom shop work on the 4 that have have seen and shot was excellent. Front strap checkering, tightened barrel bushing, barrel and slide fit up, and general workmanship was as good as I've seen on the top "custom shop" guns.

FYI Kimber is now offering 3" Officers model made of stainless in the Eclipse series.

My primary CCW is a 5" Eclispe and to date the only issue I've had is the front sight going dark. Kimber supplied a new front sight. The black finished areas may show a little wear over time, but I feel that adds character.

I would strongly suggest the use of Wilson magazines as they are the gold standard.

I have shot about 2,500 rounds with no failures of any type.

IMO Kimber is the best value for the money.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts