1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the deal. I'm about to buy my first .45 for Christmas. Up until now, all I've shot much is my Ruger .22 pistol and my hunting rifles, so, I don't know much about 1911 pistols. All I will be using it for is target shooting. I'm planning on buying a Kimber simply because I usually buy something nice the first time so that I don't end up wanting to upgrade later.

I've been reading this forum to research a little before buying a pistol (probably a gold match or eclipse II target). My question is this: I keep reading posts about Kimber going to an external extractor in 2004 and how this is bad?? I honestly don't know the difference...so, will it make a difference to me just target shooting? Should I order a 2003 now if they're still in stock with the internal extractor or just get a 2004 with an external extractor.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Hopefully it just boils down to personal preference.

I think the external extractors are fugly, and since the design has been going strong for 90+ years using the original internal design, why change it?

That, plus the internal is easier to deal with in terms of cleaning and adjustment, being a single part instead of three or more.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've put 2000 + rnds through my extrenal extractor TLE/RL and have had no problems., Only problems I've had came from Wilson mags, go figure.

·
Registered
302 Posts
im about to buy 2 wilson mags. i hear their the best right now. what problems are u having w/ yours and what mag would u recommend if wilson sucks?

·
Registered
445 Posts
trask said:
wilson's are the shizzle, but be sure to re-install the spring correctly after cleaning
I agree, I love them Wilson mags :D also re: external v.s. internal extractors IMHO both designs are solid and reliable. However, for myself it just boils down to a matter of esthetics. I just like the clean unbroken lines of a 1911 with an internal extractor.

·
Registered
302 Posts
rog that

1 - 7 of 7 Posts