1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbie that recently went to the range and shot a friend's 1911 and liked the way it shot. Now I am looking for a compact 1911 for myself. Been studying the Springfield compacts and recently went to a local gun shop and they had a Micro Compact .45 and a EMP .40 S&W. Took both of them and wanted to see if there was any difference between the 2 besides the caliber. To my eye and the person showing me both guns, they look 99% identical right down to the 2 tone coloring. Even the weights seems to be the same. The size, etc. all seem to be the same also.

I thought that the EMP was built from the ground up to be different because of the .40S&W and the 9mm, so what is different if they look so similar is it all internal ?? Even the grip size feel the same, I would have thought the MC .45 would feel larger but it did not. There was another shop that had a EMP 9mm and that too felt very similar in size, etc. with the MC .45

My questions are:

1. I see that the Micro Compact only has a 6 round capacity, is there any magazines that can have it hold 7 possibly 8 rounds ?? If so which ones ??

2. Does anyone have both of these that can help me decide which one to get ?? I would like to get the EMP 9mm as ammo would be cheaper, but finding that here is hard, everytime I go to Walmart they have .45 and .40S&W so I may just get that instead.

Thanks for any info and sorry for the newbie question. God Bless :)

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
the EMP has a shorter grip frame, firing pin, firing pin spring, extractor, trigger bow, magazine and slide, to name a few of the 15 redesigned parts. the shorter design was originally built as a .45GAP (Defender), which Springfield dis-continued. later they decided to re-work the design for the 9mm/.40S&W. and released it as the EMP (Enhanced Micro Pistol)

so they do appear similar, but the dimensions are a tad different. the grip frame is about 1/4" smaller in diameter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the EMP has a shorter grip frame, firing pin, firing pin spring, extractor, trigger bow, magazine and slide, to name a few of the 15 redesigned parts. the shorter design was originally built as a .45GAP (Defender), which Springfield dis-continued. later they decided to re-work the design for the 9mm/.40S&W. and released it as the EMP (Enhanced Micro Pistol)

so they do appear similar, but the dimensions are a tad different. the grip frame is about 1/4" smaller in diameter.

You are right if the difference is only about 1/4 inch or less in the grip length and diameter, then the naked eye will not see it. 1/2 inch I would probably notice it.

Is one better or more reliable than the other ??

Also is there a 7 or 8 round magazone available for the Micro Compact ?? Again thanks for any info. God Bless :)

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
there are 7 or 8 round officer sized mags

the micro and EMP are both good guns.

for a 3" barrel, i'd go with the EMP, since it is said that anything less than 4" (for a .45 1911) is less reliable.
Having said that, i've had a Kimber Tactical Ultra and haven't had any probs with the shorter barrel.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the EMP in 9. It's a great carry gun. Light and feels like far less a load than my LW Champion. Ammo weight has some to do with it. But even if you don't notice a substantial difference to the eye or in the hand you will notice carrying it every day. Either way you go you'll be getting a great gun with the excellent customer service thrown in as part of the deal.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Had a Micro compact LW .45ACP. This was VERY fussy regarding magazines and ammo. It was not reliable unless it was loaded with Remington UMC 230gr FMJ in a Springfield magazine. Any other ammo/magazine combo was not reliable. (I had sent it back to Springfield for this and it was not improved)
I sold it and bought an EMP 9mm. This gun has not done anything wrong for about 2000 rounds fired thru it. I highly recommend the EMP.:rock:

·
Registered
58 Posts
i also highly recommend the emp 9mm,,,my daily edc ,,light weight,,excelllent accuracy,,excellent night sights,,

my only gripe is that its a pita too dissasemble and reassemble to clean ,,

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I own both variants of the EMP. I carry them alot. I fiited a single sided safety to 9mm and will do the same to my .40 after the holidays. My 9mm was finicky at first but after a trip back to SA it has been flawless! i have put about 700-800 rounds through both guns and have no complaints. very accurate! and they both eat whatever i feed them reliably! I would choose the EMP.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Is there a reason the EMP commands the price it does, other than the fact that it is a 'redesign'?

Seems to be pretty much the trim level of a Loaded, with the price of a TRP

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
The Micro is the more expensive pistol ans I would go with it. My Micro shoots everything I've used so far without a single problem; just like my Kimber Untra carry II. It has a new laser now (check the rail accessories thread) and will go for a test shoot tomorrow.

If you read alll the posts on the micro and the emp, you'll see a two to one vote in favor of the micro. there's actually a pool on it as well.. Cheers.. Ron

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
I am a newbie that recently went to the range and shot a friend's 1911 and liked the way it shot. Now I am looking for a compact 1911 for myself. Been studying the Springfield compacts and recently went to a local gun shop and they had a Micro Compact .45 and a EMP .40 S&W. Took both of them and wanted to see if there was any difference between the 2 besides the caliber. To my eye and the person showing me both guns, they look 99% identical right down to the 2 tone coloring. Even the weights seems to be the same. The size, etc. all seem to be the same also.

I thought that the EMP was built from the ground up to be different because of the .40S&W and the 9mm, so what is different if they look so similar is it all internal ?? Even the grip size feel the same, I would have thought the MC .45 would feel larger but it did not. There was another shop that had a EMP 9mm and that too felt very similar in size, etc. with the MC .45

My questions are:

1. I see that the Micro Compact only has a 6 round capacity, is there any magazines that can have it hold 7 possibly 8 rounds ?? If so which ones ??

2. Does anyone have both of these that can help me decide which one to get ?? I would like to get the EMP 9mm as ammo would be cheaper, but finding that here is hard, everytime I go to Walmart they have .45 and .40S&W so I may just get that instead.

Thanks for any info and sorry for the newbie question. God Bless :)

you can use full size 7 or 8 round mags in the micro, but it kinda defeats the purpose.

i personally would get either an emp 40 or the 45micro. just because i have no need for a heavy, low capacity 9mm that isn't +p rated. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the replies and info everyone. I am going to look at a used EMP 9mm on Friday for $800. If it checks out then I may just get that. Sometimes price wins out over caliber size as new EMP's are commanding a premium in my area are going anywhere from $1100-$1350 and new Micro Compacts are about the same price :D I will all let you know. God Bless :)

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
Thanks for the replies and info everyone. I am going to look at a used EMP 9mm on Friday for $800. If it checks out then I may just get that. Sometimes price wins out over caliber size as new EMP's are commanding a premium in my area are going anywhere from $1100-$1350 and new Micro Compacts are about the same price :D I will all let you know. God Bless :)
that's a hell of a price. for $800 it's a definate buy. if anything is wrong, just send it back to Springfield. Some of the early EMP's (<5000 serial #) had problems (feeding). The problems would have been fixed, if they were sent in to Springfield. The gun is warranteed for life too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts