1911Forum banner

newbie question on lubrication

1345 Views 16 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  CH
I just finished shooting my new springfield mil-spec for the first time. After I cleaned it up I started lubing and realized I didn't really know what the most important places to lube were. I tried to lube everywhere metal might touch metal, which seems like a lot of places on a 1911.

1. What are the most important places to lube on a 1911?

2. Is there a product that lubes the entire gun quickly, or is it better to put a little oil on a gun patch and individually lube each spot (which is my normal practice)?
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Banned
13,763 Posts
Originally posted by Electric_Armadillo:
Are there any drawbacks to oiling too much? I can't think of any offhand.

Well, too much oil can attract and hold grit, dust and dirt. Enough grit, dust and dirt can act like a fine lapping compound on your components, and cause premature wear.

· Banned
13,763 Posts
Originally posted by emmo:
...unless there is some way to keep the plunger depressed while the slide stop is being put back in.
Absolutely!!! Brownell's sells a tool that works well, so does a Q-tip with the cotton removed. Push in the plunger with the Q-tip, and put your slide stop in as you keep the plunger pushed in. Seat the slide stop as far as it will go, with the Q-tip behind the slide stop, still pushing the plunger. You should be able to seat the slide stop enough to hold the plunger back, then pull the Q-tip out of the way, and push the slide stop the rest of the way up and in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.